Tradition Evolved: Tennessee Titans Unveil New Uniforms

21 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

That Titans wordmark lettering would make for a horrible look on the back. The letter font for the back needs to be more basic.

Right, but there are other fonts that are chosen for NOBs that aren't wordmark fonts - eg, the Patriots NOB font isn't their wordmark font. The Vikings have a great NOB font that is modern but simple; it seems like a slight adjustment of the spikes on the letters could have worked for the Titans.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, C-Squared said:

I know this topic is probably best left in its inactive mourning state, but I happened across this concept a minute ago and absolutely love it compared to what they ultimately chose:

9ad87d7c6a2bcdfe9eb9066ff6b4397b.jpg

No. It's minor league looking.

And @GFB put it best here:  

Quoting from that thread: I guess this is an unpopular opinion, but I like the Greek Fire shield much more than the T-sword.  The T-sword has a messed-up perspective. Either sword is SUPER short OR it's a HUGE SWORD that's flying right at the viewer with a little tiny shield that happens to be a perfectly parallel (yet still in front in front of the giant flying sword?).

And if the second perspective is the accepted view, then the outline should be thickest at the bottom of the logo because that is the part that is closest to the viewer. But nope, of course that's the thinnest part of the outline and results in this really stupid optical illusion.

It's where I sit.

6 hours ago, C-Squared said:

I know this topic is probably best left in its inactive mourning state, but I happened across this concept a minute ago and absolutely love it compared to what they ultimately chose:

9ad87d7c6a2bcdfe9eb9066ff6b4397b.jpg

The two-tone in the back looks bad. All-satin navy would look better, but I think the big logos work better for college than NFL, and there needs to be one more color (either red or columbia). .

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

2 hours ago, C-Squared said:

I am aware of the standard conventions and the perspective issue (though, really, it's meant to be abstract)... that this two-toned helmet seems more polished that what they're actually wearing says something.

I'm not sure that 'more polished' is what I would call it - I would go with 'more amateur'. And I would strongly disagree that it is in any way better. 

It's where I sit.

3 hours ago, C-Squared said:

I am aware of the standard conventions and the perspective issue (though, really, it's meant to be abstract)... that this two-toned helmet seems more polished that what they're actually wearing says something.

To me, by far the strongest element to the new Titans' look is the helmets. I really genuinely think they're beautiful. If we're pointing out anything that is unpolished in the set, I'd start below the neck. 

spacer.png

I like the helmet. The rest just looks like Seahawks Lite. Nothing outlandish but a bit too busy for my tastes. But that's pretty much how I felt about their 1999-2017 unis.

And yea that silly blueberry unitard will be their main look unfortunately. Sucks that they got rid of the nice pant stripes and replaced it with whatever ugly shape.

On 4/19/2018 at 2:58 PM, Sec19Row53 said:

Quoting from that thread: I guess this is an unpopular opinion, but I like the Greek Fire shield much more than the T-sword.  The T-sword has a messed-up perspective. Either sword is SUPER short OR it's a HUGE SWORD that's flying right at the viewer with a little tiny shield that happens to be a perfectly parallel (yet still in front in front of the giant flying sword?).

And if the second perspective is the accepted view, then the outline should be thickest at the bottom of the logo because that is the part that is closest to the viewer. But nope, of course that's the thinnest part of the outline and results in this really stupid optical illusion.

Maybe the sword was hurled overhand toward the viewer and is tumbling through the air, with the handle being closest to the viewer.  :P

That solves the outline issue, but means the bottom of the sword must be massively wide.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

On 4/19/2018 at 1:58 PM, Sec19Row53 said:

I’ve always pictured their T-sword logo as an old locomotive for some reason. I think of the beveled part as the “pilot” —

1280px-1911_Baldwin_2-8-0_Steam_at_Texas

The 3-star shield would be the engine —

53f7a7f39f21c6c068c3caf8d6728a24.jpg

The crossbar on the T could be the cabin. 

The Tennessee Trains. :P

My NFL concept series (in progress) --ATL, CLE, NE, WAS done. AZ updated 04/21/23.

On 4/19/2018 at 2:58 PM, Sec19Row53 said:

I’ve never been a huge fan of the sword logo, either. What I do like about it, though, is that it has a more proper and recognizable depiction of Tennessee’s circle emblem (the only mistake being the alignment of the stars). The fact that their identity package not only features two different T logos, but also two different depictions of stars inside a circle, is strange.

I don’t feel that three random stars in whatever color carries the same meaning and association to Tennessee as the full emblem does. The neck detail of three stars in a line (especially red) is more closely associated with D.C., and without the circle, you lose half the meaning (the circle represents the union of the three stars; east, central, and west Tennessee). The color, size, and misalignment/misorientation of the stars in the primary logo stray too far from the recognizable qualities of the real emblem for me. Playing with color to make it fit your team is okay (the Predators do this), but matching the size and orientation of the stars is crucial if you’re going to do that. The Titans also have the perfect color scheme where they really don’t need to play with the color too much.

For that reason, I’d much rather see the actual circle emblem (maybe with some Greek detailing) in place of the T circle on the flaming thumbtack. Let the flames or a meander pattern tell the “Titans” story, and the circle and stars tell the “Tennessee” story. You’re one of the few states with a signature icon; utilize it properly!

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

19 hours ago, msubulldog said:

Based on the schedule release, I have a feeling they will go Columbia over White for the first two road games in Miami and Jacksonville (just like they did when they played in those Florida cities last season).

I'm hoping for that too, but I have a feeling they will want to wear them at home at some point. If they get to wear them two times plus another for Color Rush, they could. They also have a prime time away game at Dallas, so that's three away games in which they'll likely have to wear colour jerseys.

9 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

I’ve never been a huge fan of the sword logo, either. What I do like about it, though, is that it has a more proper and recognizable depiction of Tennessee’s circle emblem (the only mistake being the alignment of the stars). The fact that their identity package not only features two different T logos, but also two different depictions of stars inside a circle, is strange.

I don’t feel that three random stars in whatever color carries the same meaning and association to Tennessee as the full emblem does. The neck detail of three stars in a line (especially red) is more closely associated with D.C., and without the circle, you lose half the meaning (the circle represents the union of the three stars; east, central, and west Tennessee). The color, size, and misalignment/misorientation of the stars in the primary logo stray too far from the recognizable qualities of the real emblem for me. Playing with color to make it fit your team is okay (the Predators do this), but matching the size and orientation of the stars is crucial if you’re going to do that. The Titans also have the perfect color scheme where they really don’t need to play with the color too much.

For that reason, I’d much rather see the actual circle emblem (maybe with some Greek detailing) in place of the T circle on the flaming thumbtack. Let the flames or a meander pattern tell the “Titans” story, and the circle and stars tell the “Tennessee” story. You’re one of the few states with a signature icon; utilize it properly!

I do know that the stars have to be aligned differently than the flag specifically due to infringement issues, but I definitely agree with your points. The "T" has always been unnecessary clutter in the logo.

On 4/20/2018 at 6:39 PM, msubulldog said:

Based on the schedule release, I have a feeling they will go Columbia over White for the first two road games in Miami and Jacksonville (just like they did when they played in those Florida cities last season).

This has definitely been the trend the past few seasons. I'd expect a lot of white monochrome and columbia over white at the beginning of the season before navy monochrome takes over as the temperatures get colder. 

spacer.png

3 hours ago, henburg said:

I do know that the stars have to be aligned differently than the flag specifically due to infringement issues, but I definitely agree with your points. The "T" has always been unnecessary clutter in the logo. 

Good info. Where did you find that out?

Interestingly, the only specification for how the stars are to be oriented is that the centers of any two stars shall not be on a horizontal or vertical line (and the top one should be closest to the hoist, but that’s flag specific), so even if the layout didn’t mimic the flag exactly, there are still many alignments in which it could still technically be compliant with the rule. The T-sword and the guitar pick both depict the bottom two stars on a horizontal line.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

14 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

I don’t feel that three random stars in whatever color carries the same meaning and association to Tennessee as the full emblem does. The neck detail of three stars in a line (especially red) is more closely associated with D.C., and without the circle, you lose half the meaning (the circle represents the union of the three stars; east, central, and west Tennessee). 

Friendly admin note...that's East Tennessee, Middle Tennessee, and West Tennessee.

They're serious about their Grand Divisions around here.^_^

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

12 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

Good info. Where did you find that out?

Interestingly, the only specification for how the stars are to be oriented is that the centers of any two stars shall not be on a horizontal or vertical line (and the top one should be closest to the hoist, but that’s flag specific), so even if the layout didn’t mimic the flag exactly, there are still many alignments in which it could still technically be compliant with the rule. The T-sword and the guitar pick both depict the bottom two stars on a horizontal line.

I worked at a store that sold Tennessee-inspired merchandise last year and I thought that our designer said something about that, but looking into it now, I don't see anything about it's proper use being restricted anywhere so it looks like I may have been wrong about that actually. I do think that the correct alignment could work and follow the natural movement of the logo if they decided to use it that way, and it would reinforce the idea of none of the three regions (east, middle, west) being placed "higher" than the other. 

spacer.png

14 hours ago, Buc said:

Friendly admin note...that's East Tennessee, Middle Tennessee, and West Tennessee.

Good lookin’ out.

14 hours ago, Buc said:

Why not go all the way with it and have Left Tennessee and Right Tennessee as well? 

Archived