Tradition Evolved: Tennessee Titans Unveil New Uniforms

On 3/26/2018 at 7:02 PM, TSHARE18 said:

The helmet is the part of the uniform that represents your team the most. The Titans are switching to the same color as a team in their division in which they used to call their city home. How many navy teams does the NFL need?

Six: 

Bears, Patriots, Texans, Cowboys, Seahawks and Rams.

Bills, Colts and Giants should stick with royal blue.

Titans, Chargers, Lions and Panthers should stick with powder/light/Carolina blue.

Broncos stay orange.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, pianoknight said:

Six: 

Titans, Chargers, Lions and Panthers should stick with powder/light/Carolina blue.

Broncos stay orange.

Hence the reason why I want the Texans as a red team. Eight navy teams including five of which primary use navy over white/grey/silver combos. Twelve blue teams altogether which is a third of the league (Panthers don't count). Contrast that with the Niners, Cards, Bucs, Chiefs, Falcons and Washington on the darker side with only six red teams. We would be the sole red team in our division differentiating us from the Colts and Titans if we switch instead of one of three blues (cool colors over all now that Jags will be a teal team again). 

On 3/27/2018 at 2:53 PM, WideRight said:

Oh I have to disagree with that.

Cardinals would look better with a white or with a  cardinal red mask.

Browns would look better with a white mask.

Colts would look better with a white mask.

Trojans would look better with a red mask

Bama would look better with a white mask

Raiders and Cowboys match the grey to the helmet color so it works as a same color mask not as a GFGS mask. 

If there is no grey in the team's uniform except the mask, then the mask should not be grey.  IMHO (and one shared by about as many  people as the opinion that grey is fine.)

I am one them. 

On 3/27/2018 at 5:35 PM, hugevolsfan said:

Bless your heart! I personally think the raiders with a black mask & the cowboys with a blue would improve both looks...

I like your thinking. 

On 3/27/2018 at 10:19 AM, oldschoolvikings said:

Because I love the never ending arguments, I'm going to take this opportunity to once again say that if I had to choose between no team having a gray mask and every team having a gray mask, it would take me less than half a second to advocate gray masks across the board.

The House of the Gray Mask will never die!

A house that will be burned to the ground by fires of La Revolución de Máscaras de Colores. Viva los Colores!

On 3/28/2018 at 11:25 AM, DouglasQuaid said:

I think the vikings need to change the mask ASAP. Either make it white, gray, or purple. Not black.

Purple!

The purple mask always looked good.  The white one stuck out like a sore thumb more than the gray did (and I am firmly anti-gray for non gray/silver teams...I think gray sticks out like a sore thumb on teams like the Colts, Browns (of a few years ago), 49ers, etc.)

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

32 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

So... with the main Titans change thread shut down, does this become the new main Titans change thread?

Probably a good idea...we can (and do) talk about gray facemasks anywhere.

So I'll reiterate my disappointment that the Titans did not go for a light blue helmet.  I think that would have added a splash of vivid color to the league and set them apart a bit.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

On 3/27/2018 at 5:42 PM, oldschoolvikings said:

And (right after returning the block numbers) the Steelers into gray masks too!

Yes to the block numbers, no to the grey facemasks. The ones they've been wearing since '78 work just fine.

As for the Titans, I'm thrilled about them ditching a white helmet (seriously, how many white helmets does the league need?), but it does bum me out they're going the navy route. Not surprising, but didsapointing for sure.

NSFCvyu.png

59 minutes ago, Claystation360 said:

So why was the Titans thread locked? Did I miss something?

People started talking abou the Texans who play in the city the Titans used to play in when they were the Oilers and some member who’s apparently a mod I’ve never realized was like “shut it down” all Bartlet in West Wing season 5.

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

On 3/28/2018 at 9:39 AM, pianoknight said:

Six: 

Broncos stay orange.

I like the Seahawks in royal but the navy looks good too. Rams should be royal and just get a matching royal helmet. I like the old Pats unis and helmets better. They could be navy but get rid of the gray in the uni/helmet and bring back a modern Patriot Pat. 

5 hours ago, Fresno St. Alum said:

I like the Seahawks in royal but the navy looks good too. Rams should be royal and just get a matching royal helmet. I like the old Pats unis and helmets better. They could be navy but get rid of the gray in the uni/helmet and bring back a modern Patriot Pat. 

I still prefer the Seahawks of the Hasselbeck era in the greyish-blue of their prior uniforms (before Nike) when they had navy and lime green as complementary colors.  They ruined it, of course, by going all unitard instead of matching the white pants with the slate/rain/grey-blue jerseys and vice versa, but that uniform was distinctive and very appropriate to the region. 

nFz1KiM.jpg

But, back on topic.  I cannot believe they are going navy with all the other navy teams out there.  Nothing wrong with white, light blue would be unique but I think it is hard to pull off well.  UNC does a nice job of it, but you have to have a logo with a lot of white in it and navy/red as trim or small elements to really make it work. 

1 hour ago, oldschoolvikings said:

So, after the old thread get shut down for going off topic, people start immediately posting Seahawk pictures in this one?

Allrighty, then.

There's just a general apathy about the Titans. They aren't a big market team and they haven't made a significant splash on the NFL landscape since 1999. When the uniforms drop on the 4th, there will be a few pages of comments and then we'll turn back to talking about what LA might or might not do in either 2019 or 2020.

1 hour ago, Broken Record said:

There's just a general apathy about the Titans.

I read an article years ago about how unusually well Titans merch sold country-wide their first few seasons, even for an elite team. Obviously, on-field success is #1, and new looks always sell, but the article suggested the "neutral" feel of the Titans brand was digestible outside Nashville. Between the new city and brand, they almost felt like an expansion team.  Their main rivals were teams like Jacksonville, Baltimore, Houston... other newer, neutral teams. Everything lined up just right.

I think their neutrality has devolved from cool and new to stale and irrelevant. It will be interesting to see if this softer refresh pairs with their on-field success to shake things up again.

little off topic: If the Titans actually go with navy blue helmets, then the doors have opened for the Carolina Panthers to switch over to neon blue (or whatever the F they call their light blue shade) helmets. Jerry Richardson said the uniforms wouldn't change as long as he was the owner of the franchise. He's out of there now.

Guess the same could apply to the Chargers, but I'd prefer for them to stick to white lids :P

Hotter Than July > Thriller

2 minutes ago, 4_tattoos said:

little off topic: If the Titans actually go with navy blue helmets, then the doors have opened for the Carolina Panthers to switch over to neon blue (or whatever the F they call their light blue shade) helmets. Jerry Richardson said the uniforms wouldn't change as long as he was the owner of the franchise. He's out of there now.

Guess the same could apply to the Chargers, but I'd prefer for them to stick to white lids :P

Not sure how the Titans switch has anything at all to do with the Panthers' ability to switch.  That being said, it'd be dumb - they belong in either silver or black lids.  

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived