Tradition Evolved: Tennessee Titans Unveil New Uniforms

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you can see that there were lots of good ideas here and at some point, they probably had a pretty nice looking concept that devolved into the new uniforms after meddling from Nike and Titans execs. The whole uniform reminds me of something you would see on here that makes for a neat concept and exercise in creativity, but is just way too much. 

PROS:

pointed yoke, it's a nice evolution of the Titans yoke....that's the only good thing I can think of.

CONS:

Too many colors: I don't think they need silver and white to be featured prominently, pick one. I'd prefer white, but if they wanna go with silver, go all in.

Two tone shoulder yoke-nice idea but it doesn't work. Should be light blue or navy blue, contrasting the jersey.

Side panels- duh, it's like they realized they didn't have enough light blue on the jerseys so they stuck some there.

Number font-too contrived and too thin. I don't understand why we need to keep reinventing the wheel with goofy fonts. The old one isn't bad IMO, could have just kept it.

Pants "stripes"- really? What are those, a sword sheath. If they wanted to do this, they should have filled the rest of the panel below the bevel stripe with navy or light blue. I think silver/gray pants would work better than white with this set anyway.

And probably the worst part of the whole redesign:

Navy Helmet- The Titans have always worn white helmets, they wore white helmets for a long time as the Oilers too. I get that they are apparently trying to distance themselves from the Oilers, but the navy helmet makes the logo feel small and now it has an extra outline, which is not good. I think the logo needs to be on a light background to have the impact it was intended to have when it was designed. The stripe doesn't match the other uses of the double gray stripe either.  I was hoping we would see a white helmet with no stripes and a slightly bigger logo, not stupid Bucs big, but slightly larger than what you think of as standard. I was prepared for a silver helmet too, which fits the "Titan Armor" idea and could be seen as an evolution as the white helmet, I guess.

I wasn't a huge fan of the Titans uniforms, mostly because they refused to wear sensible uniform combos, but they weren't bad at all. Sure, they could have dropped the helmet stripes and changed the number font. They just needed tweaks, not an overdesigned overhaul like this. IMO, they were still better than these new unis. I'm pretty disappointed And I'd say it's a pretty significant downgrade. I guess I'll just wait to see what they do in five years.

11 hours ago, jp1409 said:

That sir is the post of the year... I nearly died laughing!

My God I concur, concur, concur! Greeks were into Phallic symbols right? (Joke Joke Joke Joke )

Oh, I am going to get letters now.

PersonDivided-2-1.png

I didn't read through everything posted since last night, so I may be repeating what some other people have already said.

1.  The helmet looks good.  It might work better without the stripe, but it is nice as is . . . includng the grey (silver?) facemask.

2.  The number font is terrible.  I understand that the NFL wants to use unique numbers to make counterfeiting more difficult.  However, it would be nice if someone could use something that looked at least fairly basic.  In this case, the bad font is made worse by the little points added as an homage to the people of Tennessee.

3.  I think the sword/yoke is a clever way to incorporate the Titan name/image and also maintain some level of connection with the previous set.  That said,I think it might work better as a pant stripe.

4.  They've managed to create a uniform that looks modern and generic at the same time, particularly the all white set.  The sword/yoke isn't terribly prominent on the blue jerseys, but it almost disappears on the white jerseys, leaving a plain white jersey with almost no trim.  The same is true of the stripes on the pants.

Overall, these wouldn't be bad if they used a better number font.  However, the number font is a major component of any football uhiform.  Therefore, I can't give these any better than a C- at this point.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

2 minutes ago, BrianLion said:

It's going to look like an inter-squad scrimmage every time they play the Texans Seahawks.

Fixed that for you.  :P

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

53 minutes ago, MCM0313 said:

Also, forgot to mention this, but...dark blue helmet over dark blue jersey over white pants? I'd think they would want to do more to distinguish themselves visually from the Texans, but maybe the metallic finish on the helmet will help with that. Still think it would have been a perfect chance to go for light blue as the main jersey.

This is really the greatest sin of this set. The Titans had an opportunity to emphasize a shade of blue that would have made them unique and instantly recognizable in the NFL and instead they basically copied one of their biggest rivals. I think a columbia helmet, columbia jersey, white pants look would have been so much better.

So a red swoosh is really enough to make half of you confuse the Titans for the Texans? The color schemes aren't the same....

They look more like the Seahawkowboys than the Texans... and have no rivalry with either of those two teams.

I really do think some of you are over dramatic sometimes. The new Titans uniforms aren't good, but they aren't half the things they're being accused of either.

Perhaps I'm in the minority....perhaps I'm from an older school of design...but to me, uniforms are supposed to look like one large coherent and cohesive artwork. If there's a double stripe on the sleeves, then that needs to carry over to the pants or somewhere else to tie the whole look together. This school of thought is exactly why uniforms like the Steelers, Packers, etc. are beautiful to me and why recent uniform trends are really not clicking for me.

This new Titans set, like many recent Nike uniform projects, seems like a bunch of disjointed thoughts put together, relying on "Nike speak" or "marketing speak" for you to understand why they are where they are on the uniform. It appears to me like it is a Frankenstein of elements from possibly several Nike concepts....and it illustrates a larger problem of the client becoming the Creative Director on projects and the designer backing away and letting someone who doesn't understand design run the show for the sake of a paycheck.

TL;DR - Uniforms shouldn't need "marketing speak."

"This isn't just the Oregon Ducks, it's Football's Future Turf Soldier War Hero Steel Robot Tech Flex Machine Army." -CS85

I feel like the uniform had 3 different people design each piece, with the only instruction being, "incorparate the sword somehow." Nothing about this set is cohesive. The helmet stripe didn't bother to mimic the shape of the sword logo, and the pants stripe is like a cross section of the sword. And the angle of the pants stripe is annoyingly in the wrong direction. If it were going the other way, at least it would match the armpit panel. But now the armpit panel looks even more out of place and tacked on.

spacer.png

Glad I'm not a Titans fan, because this new look is seriously towards the bottom of the league for me. I'm not gonna use hyperbole and say "OMG IT'S THE WORST". But there's really nothing about this uniform that is an upgrade over the previous set other than the 3 stars inside the collar (which aren't even seen when worn). 

16 minutes ago, ColeJ said:

So a red swoosh is really enough to make half of you confuse the Titans for the Texans? The color schemes aren't the same....

They look more like the Seahawkowboys than the Texans... and have no rivalry with either of those two teams.

I really do think some of you are over dramatic sometimes. The new Titans uniforms aren't good, but they aren't half the things they're being accused of either.

I'm not confusing them for the Titans - but I grew up playing football games on computers and consoles back in the age before the games showed logos on helmets - so two teams in the same division having basically the same home helmet-jersey-pants color combo doesn't feel right to me, because on an old-school 16-bit game they actually could be mistaken for each other, and even if not, having that much similarity is too much. And yes, they are rivals - not archrivals but rivals nonetheless. You don't play in the same division for 16 straight seasons without some kind of rivalry developing.

Plus...1/4 of the league wears dark blue jerseys as their primary non-white option. None wear light blue. Why would they not want to distinguish themselves more?

So, I really wanted to love these.

After seeing them revealed, I thought they were a total mess.

After sleeping on it, a few notes:

1.  The helmet is the worst part of this design and basically ruins everything else

2.  The White-on-White set is the nicest, even with the lack of Columbia Blue on the pants

3.  Disappointed that there is no Grey set.

4.  Number colors on Columbia Blue jersey should've been inverted and that set lacks Red

5.  Still no good reason for armpit panels except to cram more color in there.

6.  I love the number font, hate the team wordmark above it.

7.  Sleeves should have had 3 Red Stars coming down the center of the "Sword Yoke", or on the cap sleeve.

Overall I like it, but I will pass the old pants and helmet.  They should've kept the White helmet, changed the stripes or eliminated them completely, and gone to a Columbia Blue facemask.  

I don't know that I can blame Nike for this.  There was SO MUCH being reported about how this was "Amy Adams Strunk's baby" that it almost seems like they made it a point to say how hands-on she was because they knew the design was flawed.  Amy had her hands all over this and it shows.  There's good and bad but we'll wait to see it on the field.  The helmet just ruins it for me.  Going to look terrible with the Color Rush set.

Archived