Tradition Evolved: Tennessee Titans Unveil New Uniforms

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Broken Record said:

There's just a general apathy about the Titans. They aren't a big market team and they haven't made a significant splash on the NFL landscape since 1999. When the uniforms drop on the 4th, there will be a few pages of comments and then we'll turn back to talking about what LA might or might not do in either 2019 or 2020.

It somehow goes beyond being a smaller market; whenever the Jags change (which is often), I see the dedicated threads play host to a slew of Jaguars fans, both new and resident to the boards, no matter how the team is doing (they’re doing very well right now, but they were doing REALLY bad the last time they changed.)

For this Titans thread, I feel like I’ve seen one (1) poster (who I don’t remember) identify their self explicitly as a Titans fan and that’s it. Where are the Titans fans? Who even is a Titans fan? Are the Titans really that boring of a franchise? 

I'm a Titans fan...

There's at least another one or two on here....

Titans have fan support. It's not like they play in front of a tarped-out stadium or anything... their fans just generally aren't very fashion conscious apparently.

37 minutes ago, Gupti said:

It somehow goes beyond being a smaller market; whenever the Jags change (which is often), I see the dedicated threads play host to a slew of Jaguars fans, both new and resident to the boards, no matter how the team is doing (they’re doing very well right now, but they were doing REALLY bad the last time they changed.)

For this Titans thread, I feel like I’ve seen one (1) poster (who I don’t remember) identify their self explicitly as a Titans fan and that’s it. Where are the Titans fans? Who even is a Titans fan? Are the Titans really that boring of a franchise? 

To answer your question, we don't have a huge presence on the boards. I can think of maybe 3-4 people that I know are Titans fans on here. The Titans were king for a long time in Nashville during the early years, but the team has been through a lot of bad/mediocre years lately so its not so unsurprising I guess. Pair that with an ownership that has been really apathetic in the past and you create a boring franchise that loses a lot of fans. Much of the reason that I'm so excited for this new set is that it finally shows that our restructured ownership is willing to give a damn to make the Titans exciting again. We have good fans and I truly believe that our franchise is definitely on the upswing. 

It does suck because threads about the Titans always seem to be derailed more quickly than other threads, and even the "on-topic" discussions usually end up being "lol Oilers>Titans amiright?". I feel like theoretically people would love the chance to discuss a team that doesn't get talked about often, but threads for the 5th new Jaguars uniforms or the Browns always end up with 3x the content. I wish it were different and some of the "irrelevant" jokes could be avoided (Remember the Titans hur hur) but it's not a huge deal. I can't make people talk about what I want so i just try to represent the best that I can. 

spacer.png

It also doesn't help that titans threads, that have stayed on topic for the better part of 40 pages get locked just because someone posts a photo of an injury.. I've seen tons of other threads veer further off course with no such repercussions.. Now the topic is dead, apart from a helmet tread..

35 minutes ago, ColeJ said:

I'm a Titans fan...

There's at least another one or two on here....

Titans have fan support. It's not like they play in front of a tarped-out stadium or anything... their fans just generally aren't very fashion conscious apparently.

Teams who play in front of tarped-out stadiums? I don’t see any teams who play in front of tarped-out stadiums here. B)

I'd be a fan of a light blue helmet, with a satin finish instead of a gloss (or metallic flake gloss). Plus it'd need to paired with a light blue jersey.  UNC's light blue helmet is far better with the light blue jersey than the navy one.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

11 minutes ago, Kaz said:

Most football fans aren't

The regulars of this board tend to forget we're a minority. Most sports fans don't care about logos and uniforms.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

1 minute ago, mjd77 said:

Titans have always been my AFC team, ever since the days of Warren Moon and the Oilers.  Maybe we're just quiet because there has basically been nothing to cheer about for the last 20 years.  And no major uniform changes.

"Your AFC team?"

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

With the Jaguars, they're so polarizing because they went from such a great look to a crap look then double-downed on it with a crappier look (though some loved it besides the helmet) and now are facing a dramatic change yet again.

The Titans have no history of change, don't have a polarizing look (I think most people's opinion is "meh", not hate or love), and unlike some other teams that get attention when they change, aren't significant enough to the league to get casual people to care.

If the Titans unveil something that's either totally polarizing or unanimously loved or hated, then I guarantee when they change again, there will be a lot of interest just like there is for the Jags.

So... uh, helmet?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I expect the Titans to look a lot flashier and a little over-designed, but that's okay because their other set was flashy and over-designed when it was new. Not like we are :censored:ting on some serious history here.

I just hope it isn't so extravagant that I feel silly wearing it to the grocery store on sundays or anything. I like the idea of more silver, but if it's silver yokes on a navy jersey, it'll be in that uncanny valley of being almost a normal Titans jersey but suddenly less saturated and less columbia blue.

7 minutes ago, C-Squared said:

I grew up near Buffalo & got into a fight for wearing my Eddie George jersey the Monday before the Music City Miracle game... which made wearing it the Monday after even sweeter.

You’re a monster.

Here's a mock up made by a random Titans twitter account that I think may actually do a pretty good job of predicting what we'll see on Wednesday-

Fb0NxVn.jpg

It shows a sword-inspired yoke similarly to what @eRay made in his mock up in the last thread, which I feel is definitely likely based on the teaser videos. One of the Nike designer's mentioned something about it being "an evolution" while also "balancing the key design principles of the Titans", which to me would definitely indicate keeping a shoulder yoke of some kind. 

We haven't seen or heard very much at all still (they've really done a crazy good job of keeping this under wraps) but so far I think that everything sounds pretty good. My prediction of what could go wrong for this set will be color balance. I like the colors that are being worked with, but it's unclear how they will be used still. With what looks like a promoted use of silver, it will be interesting to see how much columbia blue and red will be used. 

spacer.png

Archived