Tradition Evolved: Tennessee Titans Unveil New Uniforms

The number's really bother me in how thin they are. Also looking at the number set it seems like some of the numbers just don't fit in with each other. Like there is no common theme tying each number to the look of the next. IDK exactly what I'm trying to say, but the numbers need work, they don't look like they should be on a sports uniform. 

He is my take on it. I thickened them and then reworked them with a common theme. 

numbers_zps3sjgpqro.png

Also while I was at it I was playing around with maybe styling them to look "Greek" or whatever. (Not totally done, still have some tinkering to to as seen in the number 1. lol)

Stylized%20numbers_zpsttxyl6em.png

What it might look like on the uniform. (Also with toning down the silver on the back half of the shoulder "sword". Plus Columbia Blue should be the primary.)

Home%20NN_zps0gjg46ew.png

I'm starting to think maybe Nike should run their design's past us on this board before they decide to go forward with things. I've seen so many great concepts and heard so many good ideas here that are so much better than what Nike has shown. 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Froob said:

I think white nearly always looks better. Chargers and Bills have looked much much better since they switched to white.

I think not depends on the team.  The Dolphins have to be white helmets, as do the Colts, but I prefer the older green Jets' helmets.  I also prefer the Fouts and the later navy blue for the Chargers.  For my Bills both there's and the white are good looks.  I am not a fan of the new navy Titans helmet.  Since they opted to keep the flaming thumbtack I would have preferred sticking with white and just eliminating the barb stripes, or they could have been innovative and stood out from the other teams in the league with a Columbia blue helmet.  

Seems like no one’s looked over the Nike behind the scenes vid for this yet. They’re usually full of interesting unused concepts that are never revealed anywhere else.

This one shows that they were originally supposed to be wearing columbia socks with the navy pants, which is a shame, but wearing colored pants with different colored socks is simply a lost art in this league. There’s also some really odd recolors of the logo back there, including ones that feature more red, and... gold???

9_BDAE329_1_F38_4_B99_845_F_C3_EFD12_A0_

5 hours ago, gothedistance said:

I agree with this completely. 

The Titans wearing their navy jersey with the white pants is fine. But the all Navy look gets stale.

Why are the Chargers wearing mono navy now too all the time? Ugh it’s just awful. Their navy on white is one of the best combos in the league.

Overall, I think this is a great update. I thought I would hate the blue helmet, but it works ok. The swords on the shoulders are surprisingly effective. It's kind of genius. The three stars are cool, but why hide them on the inside of the collar? Why not put them above the nameplate? I don't mind the font.

Everyone loves a roundel.

My biggest issue with the Dolphins uniforms is the thin numbers with the almost invisible stroke.  These aren't nearly as bad as those, but still not great, and makes me think that for some reason that's something that Nike seems to like.  I wonder if they sell it as part of the weight reduction?  Or if it's something this particular design team really thinks is good football uniform design?

While I hold nobody but the team responsible for stuff like this, I still think that the designers working on these projects are not educated much on football and don't study the history of the games aesthetics or even understand why at least some traditional design elements are employed even on contemporary uniforms.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

3 hours ago, Gupti said:

Seems like no one’s looked over the Nike behind the scenes vid for this yet. They’re usually full of interesting unused concepts that are never revealed anywhere else.

This one shows that they were originally supposed to be wearing columbia socks with the navy pants, which is a shame, but wearing colored pants with different colored socks is simply a lost art in this league. There’s also some really odd recolors of the logo back there, including ones that feature more red, and... gold???

9_BDAE329_1_F38_4_B99_845_F_C3_EFD12_A0_

Nike no doubt came up with many concepts on their own and cull them down to a few recommendations. all those on the wall are close to the final design (does look like they were playing with a fire theme). from there, NFL and the team gets to put their 2 cents in. this is actually one of the better videos that show the process and how many people are involved. you usually get just Nike people talking about the thing, but this is a nice behind the scenes look. 

(as an aside, Shandon is a great dude. i got to meet him and some other NFL Creative people a few weeks ago.)

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

3 hours ago, Froob said:

Why are the Chargers wearing mono navy now too all the time? Ugh it’s just awful. Their navy on white is one of the best combos in the league.

For some reason I like the Chargers in mono navy and mono white in the current set.

On 4/4/2018 at 9:43 PM, aawagner011 said:

"Let's take the absolute best features of our uniforms and completely nuke them!"

So long Columbia blue, so long beautiful pants stripes. Hello flaming garbage!

cropped_GettyImages-612681286.jpg?ts=149

I will miss this look.

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

The departure from the white helmet is truly depressing.  I always felt like the Titans had a great look.  Clean, colorful, solid.  The color rush and leotard looks were horrible, but these?  These combos were so pleasing to the eye on Sunday.

8994748-nfl-tennessee-titans-at-new-york

101016-dolphins-tbd-rg-221.jpg

Tennessee-Titans-Andre-Johnson.jpg

Tennessee-Titans-Marcus-Mariota.jpg

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I didn't hate, but didn't like their white helmet.  The feeling I got at the time was that it was white because either 1) their logo had a navy stroke surrounding it, or 2) the franchise had white helmets for a couple decades and they didn't want to change that.

To me, this redesign is screaming out loud for a silver or gray helmet.  The logo would look fantastic against that color shell.  You'd get some Patriots wannabe comments, but whatever - there's 32 teams, it's hard for each to have a totally unique look.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

7 hours ago, BucsBoy02 said:

The number's really bother me in how thin they are. Also looking at the number set it seems like some of the numbers just don't fit in with each other. Like there is no common theme tying each number to the look of the next. IDK exactly what I'm trying to say, but the numbers need work, they don't look like they should be on a sports uniform. 

He is my take on it. I thickened them and then reworked them with a common theme. 

numbers_zps3sjgpqro.png

Also while I was at it I was playing around with maybe styling them to look "Greek" or whatever. (Not totally done, still have some tinkering to to as seen in the number 1. lol)

Stylized%20numbers_zpsttxyl6em.png

What it might look like on the uniform. (Also with toning down the silver on the back half of the shoulder "sword". Plus Columbia Blue should be the primary.)

Home%20NN_zps0gjg46ew.png

I'm starting to think maybe Nike should run their design's past us on this board before they decide to go forward with things. I've seen so many great concepts and heard so many good ideas here that are so much better than what Nike has shown. 

Anything would be better than the actual numbers... but these are phenomenal. Nice work.

It does bother me a bit people at Nike got paid money to phone in a number font the way they did. 

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

41 minutes ago, Mitch B said:

The north-east point on the number font is pure designing genius.  ?????

They executed this concept right on the U of Tennessee wordmark... so I guess someone thought “let’s do it again, but worse”.

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

14 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I didn't hate, but didn't like their white helmet.  The feeling I got at the time was that it was white because either 1) their logo had a navy stroke surrounding it, or 2) the franchise had white helmets for a couple decades and they didn't want to change that.

To me, this redesign is screaming out loud for a silver or gray helmet.  The logo would look fantastic against that color shell.  You'd get some Patriots wannabe comments, but whatever - there's 32 teams, it's hard for each to have a totally unique look.

For real.  If you're going to go balls-deep with this SWORD SWORD LOOK AT THE SWORD mentality, the helmet can anchor and reflect that branding by going with a steel/silver/gray/whatever shade.

Instead they went with navy because of reasons likely related to some dumbass in the Titans ownership circle.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

26 minutes ago, CS85 said:

The departure from the white helmet is truly depressing.  I always felt like the Titans had a great look.  Clean, colorful, solid.  The color rush and leotard looks were horrible, but these?  These combos were so pleasing to the eye on Sunday.

8994748-nfl-tennessee-titans-at-new-york

101016-dolphins-tbd-rg-221.jpg

Tennessee-Titans-Andre-Johnson.jpg

Tennessee-Titans-Marcus-Mariota.jpg

White helmet, bright jersey, white numbers, and white pants are my favorite uniforms in football across the board. They really were a couple tweaks from a top look in the league before and now are almost Browns level.

25 minutes ago, Colin_Pernett said:

White helmet, bright jersey, white numbers, and white pants are my favorite uniforms in football across the board. They really were a couple tweaks from a top look in the league before and now are almost Browns level.

White helmets/white pants almost always works, and it certainly did here. I didn't realize how good their white-on-white looked.  The yoke didn't match the pant stripe but if they just matched the helmet stripe to the pant stripe and updated to a new font and a satin or matte white helmet finish, and maybe a Columbia facemask, they'd have been fine.  

A few days later now and I don't despise the new set...it's just that the Navy helmet kills it.  

Archived