Tradition Evolved: Tennessee Titans Unveil New Uniforms

14 minutes ago, Broken Record said:

My guess is that Nike does cover it,

Anyway, I just saw a bunch of Titans jerseys together for the first time. The font is even worse in bunches. Straight fire... or whatever.

2lv1uo1.jpg

This says to me, that the whole number font was designed around the 8, which is the best looking numeral of the bunch. They know they would be selling lots of number 8 jerseys and it looks okay, so let's make the rest of the font "match" it.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, KittSmith_95 said:

The number font is horrid now that I can see all the numbers all at once. The 0, 1 & 4 are the worst of them IMO. 

One of the problems with the 1 is that the tribute to the people of Tennessee makes it looks backwards.  A serif on a 1 is supposed to be on the left, not the right.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

On 4/7/2018 at 10:05 AM, GFB said:

I don’t want discourage you because what you’re attempting to do is noble and good practice as a designer... but you’re fixing some problems by creating new ones. The angled bends in middle of the numerals stylistically clash with the straight lines along the sides. It is very reminiscent of the Bucs’ numerals, which are the ugliest numerals currently in use in professional sports. 

The problem isn’t with you... sometimes a bad number set is just a bad number set, regardless of how much effort is put into fixing them. 

I think the points on the terminals may be a bit much (or at least deserve some exploration), but I really like where he’s heading here, to be honest. Overall, I’m seeing a much more cohesive set; one with better balance between the negative areas in the numbers and a more even visual weight across the set.

The aesthetics probably fall into more opinionated territory, but I don’t necessarily feel that the bend competes against the verticals, though I do think it could be a little more asymmetrical to improve the balance on certain characters. As a graphic device, the bend actually feels more true to ancient chiseled typography, rather than the small chamfers that inexplicably show up on the actual 5, 6, and 9. I’m really feeling his new 4, in particular, which feels both innovative and unique, but also unconventionally beautiful, a rare combo in athletic typography.

1 hour ago, Broken Record said:

My guess is that Nike does cover it, and it probably doesn't make any difference, but curiosity is a funny thing.

Anyway, I just saw a bunch of Titans jerseys together for the first time. The font is even worse in bunches. Straight fire... or whatever.

2lv1uo1.jpg

That’s bad. I know these images are likely created by automation, but the fact that the typography has to be compressed or shrunk to fit two digits on the jersey image should be a red flag.

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

The thing I like about the Bears' number font is that it was designed with legibility in mind first and foremost.  Looking a lot of custom fonts introduced in the last twenty years, you can see such mundane considerations have long been pushed down on the priority chart.

On an aesthetic level, the Bears' font succeeds because of its consistent and even line weights.  The numbers don't have lots of extra-thin serifs and notches to spoil the visual flow.  But again, we're back to legibility.

Look at the Rams.  They have relatively consistent line weights.  Numbers are clear and bold.  Where they appear, serifs anchor and define each number, they don't distract or pull focus.

LA-Rams-1.jpg

This is a number font that is designed first and foremost to be read.

845414746.0.jpg

If every custom number font had those design principles behind it, I wouldn't dislike custom number fonts nearly so much as I do.

I think that’s the best way to put it. Custom typography that ignores function is anti-design, but so is defaulting to block when it’s clearly not the optimum choice. It’s very possible to create custom typography (even if that means a custom block typeface) that retains proper functionality. 

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

15 minutes ago, Esco said:

Can’t believe the numbers are being discussed the most. 

In my opinion the word mark on front is worse. Way too big and also the diamond looking sword on side looks like crap

Give it time - we'll have lots of opportunity to discuss all the individual problems with this debacle.

10 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

I think the points on the terminals may be a bit much (or at least deserve some exploration), but I really like where he’s heading here, to be honest. Overall, I’m seeing a much more cohesive set; one with better balance between the negative areas in the numbers and a more even visual weight across the set.

The aesthetics probably fall into more opinionated territory, but I don’t necessarily feel that the bend competes against the verticals, though I do think it could be a little more asymmetrical to improve the balance on certain characters. As a graphic device, the bend actually feels more true to ancient chiseled typography, rather than the small chamfers that inexplicably show up on the actual 5, 6, and 9. I’m really feeling his new 4, in particular, which feels both innovative and unique, but also unconventionally beautiful, a rare combo in athletic typography.

That’s bad. I know these images are likely created by automation, but the fact that the typography has to be compressed or shrunk to fit two digits on the jersey image should be a red flag.

I think that’s the best way to put it. Custom typography that ignores function is anti-design, but so is defaulting to block when it’s clearly not the optimum choice. It’s very possible to create custom typography (even if that means a custom block typeface) that retains proper functionality. 

Granted, i'm a homer, but i really like the Texans' number font. I feel like they have a really underrated set. I think they did a really good job on almost the entire identity the first go round, modern classic imo. 

And after initially hating the Titans font, it's growing on me a little bit. Not great by any means, but better than i initially thought. 
Still really disappointed in the uniforms however. 

3 minutes ago, shaydre1019 said:

Granted, i'm a homer, but i really like the Texans' number font. I feel like they have a really underrated set. I think they did a really good job on almost the entire identity the first go round, modern classic imo. 

Texans, Rams, and late-90's Jaguars are examples of legible custom fonts that really worked imo.. Texans being my favorite

Although, I may be wrong about any of these being custom..

Just now, WavePunter said:

Texans, Rams, and late-90's Jaguars are examples of legible custom fonts that really worked imo.. Texans being my favorite

Although, I may be wrong about any of these being custom..

I'm pretty sure the Texans font is custom, but i know that Adidas now offers a version of it in some capacity now. I believe Western Michigan used it on one of their 50 uniforms this year or the year before. Could be possible that it was created in unison with reebok so now Adidas has usage rights?

1 minute ago, shaydre1019 said:

I'm pretty sure the Texans font is custom, but i know that Adidas now offers a version of it in some capacity now. I believe Western Michigan used it on one of their 50 uniforms this year or the year before. Could be possible that it was created in unison with reebok so now Adidas has usage rights?

That's very possible, it's called "western" in Adidas's literature

The Radical Spike font devolves the tradition unfortunately.  So does the combination of the sword-shoulders and the 'we'd better add some more Columbia Blue' side panels.  They look like elements belonging to different uniforms.

Archived