Logos And Uniforms That Are So Ugly They’re Awesome

CheeseBurger22

Always loved the sleeve-star, triple-collar and addition of red.  The idea of a constellation forming a bull was also pretty clever, just executed horribly.  Make a primary crest that doesn't resemble a uterus and you could do worse for an alternate.

NszaChM.jpg

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought this thread was about looking good, not just old designs that are remembered for being weird. (this is sarcasm)

dk just my thoughts, TATC Rockies and jumping mighty ducks are NOT good looks and never will be. 

But creamsicles and nordiques = great examples

p65A9Ts.png

XEK7sAn.png

On ‎4‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 3:13 PM, BroncoBuff said:

0jk3Yxw.png

How 'bout the entire history of this franchise ...

The "Tetris Skyline" uniform design is especially disliked, but I happen to love it.

I kind of want to hang this on my fridge.

On 4/8/2018 at 12:41 AM, SFGiants58 said:

7586_a.jpg

Gotta love the windowpane! I'd love it if the Giants and/or Mets based an alt around it.

Now if someone went a bit further and resurrected this 1898 Ottawa tartan uniform that would be something:
ottawa_1.jpg

http://baseballresearcher.blogspot.ca/2012/11/

"Just when I thought you'd said the stupidest thing, you keep on talking" - Hank Hill

On 4/10/2018 at 6:18 PM, Morgo said:

Always loved the sleeve-star, triple-collar and addition of red.  The idea of a constellation forming a bull was also pretty clever, just executed horribly.  Make a primary crest that doesn't resemble a uterus and you could do worse for an alternate.

NszaChM.jpg

it was salvageable, but too many bad choices were made during the design process...

red should NEVER be on a stars jersey, because up to that point, the most hated teams in stars/north stars history were the blackhawks and the red wings... then the wild came into the league wearing green/red/gold, and it just felt like we had to co-opt their color scheme after stealing their original team... make that stripe white, or gold (and gold to white), and it would have been better...

the logo, i'll never forgive... it feels like one of those jerseys that looks better for out-of-market fans than in-market fans... it was designed by the same people as the lady liberty rangers sweaters, and you can really tell. the statue of liberty is one of those icons of new york that most new yorkers have never been to... likewise, cattle is a good representation of dallas for people that aren't from dallas.

if they wanted to make a constellation logo, the more obvious dallas-themed decision would be to use the pegasus constellation... the pegasus is the sort of unofficial "animal" of dallas, has loads of history, and can be seen all over downtown. even the original Dallas Burn crest was based on the iconic dallas pegasus shape. the mavs toyed with a pegasus during their rebrand, and the WNBA dallas wings use a pegasus as the logo. lose the red and give us a more dallas/less stereotypical texas constellation, and this may have had a chance....

restored-pegasus-sign.jpghendrix-horse.jpgfixedw_large_2x.jpgbooker-t-washington-dallas-pegasus-sculp

wanting to be stereotypically "texan" led to the use of a bull... then tom hicks said he didn't want to turn off aggies by looking too "UT" with a longhorn, so they turned the horns upside down, making it into a uterus.

it's the kind of jersey that stars fans, almost universally, hated... but it's such a terrible jersey that a lot of us are trying to find some to wear ironically now. i've never been able to justify pulling the trigger, however. it's just soooo bad.

h2IYciV.png

Not "ugly" at all, in fact I love LOVE L-O-V-E this combo ... but the school adopted some rule back in the 50s mandating they wear white jerseys whenever possible. Damned shame.

fVpFSdu.png

That same LSU combo - a primary color jersey w/ secondary color helmet and pants - that worked for the Browns until - - whenever they started treating their uniforms the same way they treat their roster.

4GSsvC6.png

Don't get me started on BROWN ... the most mistreated color of all. I recall a website once - 'NoMoreBrownSuits.com' , reference was to Ronald Reagan.  Most would call them 'ugly,' but Wyoming's colors just melt in my eyes, so beautiful ... (the 80s/90s versions were a bit better). The white helmets set it off nicely.

wS7MJ6T.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/10/2018 at 6:18 PM, Morgo said:

NszaChM.jpg

That jersey is not bad, it’s just really bad with that logo and for the stars. Triple collars are the bomb though. I jusy snuck it in our new home jerseys for next season. As they say, you can always apologize, but you can’t go back and redo it. So sorry for the extra $5 a jersey to my AD that he doesn’t know about, but it’s happening.

41 minutes ago, CheeseBurger22 said:

islanders-fisherman-player-2.jpgI’m not a huge hockey fan, and I know these didn’t last a long time but I’ve always loved them. 

It’s the numbers man. The numbers are horrendous. Just a disaster. Just like management at that time. Which if you’ve never heard that story you have to look into it. I think they did a 30 for 30 on it.

12 hours ago, Brown1 said:

It’s the numbers man. The numbers are horrendous. Just a disaster. Just like management at that time. Which if you’ve never heard that story you have to look into it. I think they did a 30 for 30 on it.

The numbers I’ve noticed are pretty bad, but besides that, I just love how the colors flow. I will look for that 30 for 30 because I wasn’t alive back then. 

9 hours ago, CheeseBurger22 said:

The numbers I’ve noticed are pretty bad, but besides that, I just love how the colors flow. I will look for that 30 for 30 because I wasn’t alive back then. 

You were just a twinkle in your dad’s eye in 1997? You missed a great decade, just not for uniforms. Zubaz were the bomb.

Cc-fvp1W4AAVUub.jpg:large

Time is a funny thing. I was so incensed when the Beast of New Haven came into the AHL back in 97 that I started drawing my own logos and jerseys in an effort to prove that I could do better. Fast forward 20 years and I've developed an odd affection for the brand. It's a strange mashup. The name and colors are pure 90s, but the logo looks like something out of the 70s. Even the mascot was this odd jumble...the "Beast" was meant to be a gargoyle (another very 90s phenomenon), but why they didn't just call the team the New Haven Gargoyles is a mystery. 

Anyway...it's funny how something that was once the subject of personal scorn has become oddly endearing over the years. 

On 4/10/2018 at 4:03 PM, pressstart66 said:

These uniforms forever have a soft spot for me, I just love the look of the powder blue. If the uniform was symmetrical and the ATLANTA text wasn't present I think we're talking some really good uniforms here

slideshow_491336_thrashers-0406g.jpg

The away set wasn't bad either
alg-kovalchuk-celebrates-jpg.jpg

Wish I could say the same for the Red Alt, Yikes.

Honestly I don't think either of these pictured uniforms was bad enough to be on this list. The powder blues are a thing of beauty.

On 4/8/2018 at 6:46 PM, Hat Boy said:

NBA-240_05.jpg

I hate pin stripes in basketball.

I hate hokey wordmarks.

I hate cartoon number fonts.

Somehow, I love this uniform.

On 4/9/2018 at 9:03 AM, whitedawg22 said:

I saw this topic and immediately thought of another Magic uniform. A uniform covered in sublimated stars sounds like a tacky one-off, but I thought these were really well done.

8_mcgrady_20170522.jpg

Count me as another who doesn't understand why these Magic uniforms break every rule of good basketball design, yet just seem to work on every level.  Perhaps because Orlando is a chintzy tourist town, and the team is named after a theme park?  Or the first look is associated with the glory years of the franchise, back when this was a cutting edge design.  And the second version is a very natural evolution of the first?  

Either way, the more contemporary uniforms they wear now almost seem insulting to their identity.  Both of these are examples of what "Orlando Magic" should look like.

On 4/17/2018 at 2:41 AM, BroncoBuff said:

4GSsvC6.png

Don't get me started on BROWN ... the most mistreated color of all. I recall a website once - 'NoMoreBrownSuits.com' , reference was to Ronald Reagan.  Most would call them 'ugly,' but Wyoming's colors just melt in my eyes, so beautiful ... (the 80s/90s versions were a bit better). The white helmets set it off nicely.

By itself, the jersey is actually stunning.  But would it kill them to wear a yellow helmet and get matching pants stripes?

17 hours ago, NicDB said:

By itself, the jersey is actually stunning.  But would it kill them to wear a yellow helmet and get matching pants stripes?

I think it would, actually (the helmet part). That would be a lot of yellow. It might work if they wore it with white pants, kind of like the Steelers' yellow-helmeted throwbacks, but I think that would defeat the coordination you're going for.

07_bufda_ward_81647.jpeg

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

Archived