Rite of Spring 2018-“What happens in the playoffs stays in the playoffs”

ninersdd

8 hours ago, the admiral said:

3C - Minnesota Wild

WHAT'S TO LOVE: Minnesotans, the increased prominence of Scenery Bear
WHAT'S TO HATE: Bruce Boudreau's bad coaching, the feeling that this perpetual first-round out is just taking up space, the name "Wild"

No. As a Wisconsinite, a people who are virtually identical to the Minnesotan save for the pronunciation of the letters "a" and "o", do not be fooled by their supposed "Minnesota Nice" smoke screen. They are not what they seem. Mud ducks.

7 hours ago, Still MIGHTY said:

Point of order, the Ducks finished second because the Sharks apparently got their choking done early by having a 7-point lead and the tiebreaker over the Ducks with 5 games left and still giving up home ice.

Eight game win streak followed by losing 5 out of 6 to end the year. Classic Sharks. Prediction: Will win game one in OT giving false hope, lose games 2-4. Win game 5 by a lot; more false hope. Thumped in game 6; back to back round 1 exits. SIGH.

spacer.png

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, the admiral said:

Enjoy it. Is it true that the Nashville bars make you drink straight from the bottles because there won't be any cups?

You know, you bring up a good point. The old adages of "don't rest on your laurels" and "only as good as your last season" really do mean something.

By that thinking, I'd rather my team carry the title of "couldn't get it done in the Final" than "first #1 to be swept by a #8 in the history of the playoffs."

Maybe that's just me.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

1 hour ago, Kramerica Industries said:

It's pretty amazing that every Ducks season sees them get ravaged by injuries in the first half and have generally poor results, and then after the second half is over they've got Game 1 at home in the first round.

Groundhog day, these Ducks. Every season is the same.

I’m really just as amazed as you this time. The Ducks lost significant time this season from Ryan Getzlaf, Ryan Kesler, Hampus Lindholm, Sami Vatanen (pre-Henrique trade), Cam Fowler, Kevin Bieksa (a plus, really), Patrick Eaves, and short stints of John Gibson. Through all that, they end up with home ice and only 8 points out of the division lead. Had they been healthy all year? This would’ve been another walk.

The Ducks’ season was saved by guys like Derek Grant. Barely an NHL 4th-liner with 86 games played over five seasons with four teams for a measly 6 points and a -16, Grant was tasked with significant fist line minutes in the first half and ended up with 66 games played and 12 goals, 12 assists and a +3. 

Also incredible play from John Gibson, embracing the top scorer role for Rickard Rakell, a breakout year by Ondrej Kase and a great infusion from Adam Henrique. As well as a strong and evenly balanced defense.

———

Also, good god am I glad that the Ducks really pulled themselves up by the bootstraps at the end there to avoid a first-round date with Nashville. Gah. Couldn’t deal with all that nonsense again.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

The Bruins will beat the Panthers tonight, therefore BOS-NJ and TOR-TB first round. 100% chance. I think.

They can beat Toronto, they can beat New Jersey, they can beat Tampa, they can beat Philly, they can beat Pittsburgh, they can beat Columbus, they can beat them in a box, they can beat them with a fox. Washington scares the absolute crap out of me. What is it now, 15 straight wins against the Bruins? Braden Holtby was for a while listed as the owner of the B's on their Wikipedia page and I can't say I disagree. If Pittsburgh can do another simple devastation job, Boston can sail free. Anybody but them, Bruins-Predators in the final, in my opinion.

Lz5f6vZ.png

But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8/      Check Out My: Little Big League MLB ProjectDribbble

3 hours ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

I'm glad we won the President's Trophy. The cup is the goal, but it'll be nice to add another banner to the rafters. Anyone who feels differently probably can't relate to the struggles of the 98-2000 expansion teams and their collective lack of success.

Try again. The Leafs have an ongoing story of futility my entire life. A President's Trophy banner without a Cup banner to go with it would be the ultimate dick punch.

3 hours ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

That being said, last year's playoff run did a lot to help me get the "sunbelt chip" off my shoulder.

That's great news!

Now onto every other "new South" hockey fan :P

You know what? I've wanted an NHL team in Vegas for years, I got one, and they do this. I hope they do win the Cup.

That being said, I'd be fine with anyone but Boston, Pittsburgh, LA, or Anaheim. So congratulations to one of them, I guess.

53Ocz8U.png

2 minutes ago, Crabcake47 said:

Did you guys know that the word “April” has a root word meaning “pain for Capitals fans”?

I thought it was the words “Pittsburgh” and “Penguins”? 

Red Sox: 8    Celtics: 17    Bruins: 6    Patriots: 5

Phantom Merch Collector.

4 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

Try again. The Leafs have an ongoing story of futility my entire life. A President's Trophy banner without a Cup banner to go with it would be the ultimate dick punch.

Toronto has a wealth of banners, not exactly a 1 to 1 comparison. I'm not saying a trophy banner without a cup one would be satisfying, I'm saying our rafters are embarrasingly bare.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

From someone whose team has done it, winning the Presidents' Trophy without the Cup really shouldn't be "the ultimate" anything. It obviously sucks, but history says pretty clearly that the Presidents' Trophy winner isn't guaranteed playoff success.

2 hours ago, Cosmic said:

From someone whose team has done it, winning the Presidents' Trophy without the Cup really shouldn't be "the ultimate" anything. It obviously sucks, but history says pretty clearly that the Presidents' Trophy winner isn't guaranteed playoff success.

Trust me, it's happened 3 times in the last 8 seasons in D.C.  It means nothing.

spacer.png

7 hours ago, Bruins said:

The Bruins will beat the Panthers tonight, therefore BOS-NJ and TOR-TB first round. 100% chance. I think

Well this post hasnt aged well

Signature intentionally left blank

12 minutes ago, Crabcake47 said:

Trust me, it's happened 3 times in the last 8 seasons in D.C.  It means nothing.

6g5E1C0.gif

This may be a product of me only being a casual hockey fan, but I had no idea it was that bad for you guys. You poor bastards. At what point do you want to tear down all of those worthless President’s Trophy banners and turn them into toilet paper?

Archived