Rite of Spring 2018-“What happens in the playoffs stays in the playoffs”

ninersdd

More cup winners have come from the presidents trophy winner than any other seed since the trophy's inception. 

It's not a curse. It's just really :censored:ing hard to win the Stanley Cup. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the entire time they've handed out the Presidents' Trophy, the winner has also won the Cup 25% of the time. It's a little like the draft lottery... yeah, the worst team has the best chance to go #1 overall out of any single team, but the field has better odds.

Ohhhh boy. American hockey fans, we are in for a treat. The first round TV schedule is out now.

Not only will we get games on NBC and NBCSN. Not only will we get games on NHL Network, CNBC and USA Network. For the first time, the Stanley Cup Playoffs come to...

The Golf Channel.

Yes. On April 18, Lightning/Devils Game 4 and Ducks/Sharks Game 4 will be broadcast nationally in the United States on The Golf Channel.

This league. Another new high.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

1 hour ago, Dilbert said:

Well this post hasnt aged well

Ya think.

That was disgusting, no jump whatsoever in the first 40 minutes of the most important game of the year in my book against an eliminated team. They can beat Toronto but that's gonna be an exhausting series for everyone involved, esp. the fans. Gon' be some great hockey though, potentially the best first round series.

Lz5f6vZ.png

But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8/      Check Out My: Little Big League MLB ProjectDribbble

15 minutes ago, Still MIGHTY said:

Ohhhh boy. American hockey fans, we are in for a treat. The first round TV schedule is now now.

Not only will we get games on NBC and NBCSN. Not only will we get games on NHL Network, CNBC and USA Network. For the first time, the Stanley Cup Playoffs come to...

The Golf Channel.

Yes. On April 18, Lightning/Devils Game 4 and Ducks/Sharks Game 4 will be broadcast nationally in the United States on The Golf Channel.

I remember last year how Game 1 of Senators-Penguins was delayed thanks to NBC showing golf, which for some reason they couldn't move to their own GOLF channel.(The tournament wasn't even a major or the final round of it). Weird stuff goes on with NBC and hockey I guess.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

2 hours ago, McCarthy said:

More cup winners have come from the presidents trophy winner than any other seed since the trophy's inception. 

It's not a curse. It's just really :censored:ing hard to win the Stanley Cup. 

It's also mathematics. I see the same thing said all the time about how having the best record in baseball usually doesn't win the World Series. Well, no crap it doesn't! 15 of the 16 playoff teams don't win the Presidents' Trophy. With unweighted math, that means there's a 93.75% chance the Stanley Cup will go to a non-PT recipient. Even with weighted odds (however much you weigh them) it's still not going to make it likely to see a Presidents' Trophy/Stanley Cup double. 

So I agree. It's a completely overblown myth. 

spacer.png

5 hours ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

Toronto has a wealth of banners, not exactly a 1 to 1 comparison. I'm not saying a trophy banner without a cup one would be satisfying, I'm saying our rafters are embarrasingly bare.

The last of those Cup banners was won twenty years before I was born. Get out of here with that.

1 hour ago, Still MIGHTY said:

Finally, some compelling programming on the Golf Channel.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 hour ago, Ice_Cap said:

The last of those Cup banners was won twenty years before I was born. Get out of here with that.

I was referring more to retired numbers, and a rich history. In order, the Blues, Leafs, Sabres, Caps, and (to an extent) Canucks are teams where I don't envy the lot of their fans. I'd put Toronto in front of St. Louis, but that's my Dad's team.

I'll also never root against them, unless they directly conflict with the Preds' interests.

As long as Toronto doesn't figure out a way to eff it up, their next Cup should simply be a matter of when, not if. Maybe a goalie move and a couple of seasons away.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

Guess I'll get my 1st round predictions out of the way now. 

Predators in 4

Jets in 6

Kings in 5

Ducks in 6

Devils in 6

Bruins in 7

Jackets in 5

Penguins in 4

Red Sox: 8    Celtics: 17    Bruins: 6    Patriots: 5

Phantom Merch Collector.

Predators vs. Avalanche; Predators in 5

Jets vs. Wild; Wild in 7

Golden Knights vs. Kings; Golden Knights in 6

Ducks vs. Sharks; Sharks in 5

Lightning vs. Devils; Lightning in 4

Bruins vs. Maple Leafs; Bruins in 6

Capitals vs. Blue Jackets; Capitals in 7 (Yes, a Washington team ACTUALLY wins in a win-or-go-home situation.)

Penguins vs. Flyers; Flyers in 7

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

Ok, the Predators were awarded the President's Trophy on Saturday night in Nashville. Yesterday (Sunday) I physically saw the trophy in it's case at the Hall of Fame when it opened at 10:30 am.

Here is my question...

Aside from the Stanley Cup are there duplicates of the trophies or did it really get back to Toronto and in it's case that quickly. 

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

1 hour ago, charger77 said:

Ok, the Predators were awarded the President's Trophy on Saturday night in Nashville. Yesterday (Sunday) I physically saw the trophy in it's case at the Hall of Fame when it opened at 10:30 am.

Here is my question...

Aside from the Stanley Cup are there duplicates of the trophies or did it really get back to Toronto and in it's case that quickly. 

they must have flown it back (its only a hour flight to Toronto here so 2 hour flight at the longest from Nashville) 

so long and thanks for all the fish.

Preds in 4

Jets in 7

Golden Knights in 7

Sharks in 6

Lightning in 6

Maple Leafs in 7 (upset pick)

Jackets in 7 (oof)

Penguins in 5 (ugh)

spacer.png

11 hours ago, Still MIGHTY said:

I think all Wild playoff games should be on the Golf Channel.  

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Archived