Rite of Spring 2018-“What happens in the playoffs stays in the playoffs”

ninersdd

My thing with Vegas fans is that they've been pretty smug from the start ("See! We did deserve a team! Not only did we deserve a team, we deserved the best team! We're such good fans! We deserve it all! The House always wins!"), and there's been nothing, nothing, to knock them down a peg and show them what the NHL is actually like.

The NHL is pain. The NHL is misery. The NHL is agony. The NHL is getting swept on the Golf Channel.

I'd say there hasn't been an OITGDNHL moment for Vegas yet, but Vegas is an OITGDNHL moment.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's really just a short term gain, long term loss for Vegas. 

Free Agency & cap hell will eventually cripple the team. By that point The Raiders will be the new flavor of the season.

Then we'll see who the real Knights Fans are. 

Red Sox: 8    Celtics: 17    Bruins: 6    Patriots: 5

Phantom Merch Collector.

18 hours ago, mcj882000 said:

I mentioned it briefly in my post, but just because it's been asked about (and also I'm a sucker for minuscule trivia like this :P) I'll post the terms for every expansion draft in the modern era:

1991 - North Stars effectively split in two and purge their entire roster, they claim 14 skaters and 2 goalies and then the Sharks also claim 14 & 2 afterwards, then they take turns picking until SJ had 30 players; then every other team protected 16 skaters and 2 goalies, and Minnesota & San Jose take turns picking 10 players each. (A very unique draft, to say the least)

1992 - Everyone but SJ protected 14 skaters and 2 goalies, but they had to unprotect at least one goalie that played at least one game in 1991-92.

1993 - All existing teams (SJ, TB and OTT included) protected 9 forwards, 5 defencemen and 1 goalie.

1998 - Teams protected 9 forwards, 5 defencemen and 1 goalie, same as in 1993, or 7 forwards, 3 defencemen and 2 goalies.

1999 - Same as 1998; teams that lost a goalie to Nashville didn't have to protect goalies from Atlanta.

2000 - Same as 1998. 

2017 - Teams protected 7 forwards, 3 defencemen and 1 goalie or 8 skaters and 1 goalie.

Boy youd think they'd have some kind of consistency in this since the league grew some much since 1991.

OITGDNHL

On 4/18/2018 at 1:13 PM, McCarthy said:

Now you're gonna have the same spoiled fanbase syndrome you had in Colorado where anything less than a Stanley Cup and the fans stop coming.

Taking any emotion out of it, I think this is the best argument for why the whole Vegas situation is bad.

I don't want any expansion city to go through quite the struggle that we did in Columbus, but that doesn't mean this is good, either.

6fQjS3M.png

22 hours ago, Zeus89725 said:

I'm cheering for Vegas. I don't get why everbody's hating on the expansion team just because they're an expansion team. If anything, the fact a team that literally didn't exist last year can do this well is pretty outstanding and should be celebrated.

That expansion team is only doing well because the league gave them the most favorable expansion draft rules in league history.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

I don't see this Bruins/Leafs series not going 7 games. Jee-wiz!

EDIT:

Bi59YaPIIAAfXCi.jpg

And some of you think bringing back the Whalers is a good idea...

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

1 hour ago, tutorhunky said:

the blue jackets really should've only won one game, and that was game 3. which they lost. tonight was dreadful. im not looking forward to the way this ends. 

go jackets

If they'd started Holtby in the first two games this series would already be over. Sad stat: they've played 19 playoff games ever and have given up 3 or more goals in 19 of them. I don't know what to fix if they lose this series. They have all the pieces to win a series, they just get can't seem to perform defensively in the playoffs when they need to. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Regarding the whole Vegas argument... I've probably said this before, but I've wanted pro sports in Vegas (NHL specifically, even) long before the Knights became a thing. I got my wish, and now they're having this kind of season. Forgive me for being satisfied with how things turned out.

That being said, I understand this is very, very dumb and fully embrace the villain role here. At least I'm not stuck with the f-cking Islanders.

53Ocz8U.png

13 hours ago, CRichardson said:

That expansion team is only doing well because the league gave them the most favorable expansion draft rules in league history.

Stop it.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

12 hours ago, Brass said:

Bi59YaPIIAAfXCi.jpg

And some of you think bringing back the Whalers is a good idea...

If it means keeping him away from NBC broadcasts I'm all for it - Go Whalers

73, 77, 81, 83, 90, 06

29, 30, 31, 36, 39, 44, 61, 62, 65, 66, 67, 96, 10

This postseason is a complete lose-lose for Caps fans.  Either we lose in the first round after already taking the lead in every one of the games in the series so far, or we somehow show some resiliency and some fight and some mental fortitude to overcome Games 1 & 2 only to run into the Caps-postseason buzzsaw that is the Pittsburgh Penguins in Round 2.

spacer.png

3 hours ago, Crabcake47 said:

This postseason is a complete lose-lose for Caps fans.  Either we lose in the first round after already taking the lead in every one of the games in the series so far, or we somehow show some resiliency and some fight and some mental fortitude to overcome Games 1 & 2 only to run into the Caps-postseason buzzsaw that is the Pittsburgh Penguins in Round 2.

No matter how hard Washington tries...they CAN'T stay away from those damn Penguins. It's clear the NHL hates Washington.

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

2 hours ago, Dalcowboyfan92 said:

No matter how hard Washington tries...they CAN'T stay away from those dang Penguins. It's clear the NHL hates Washington.

I don’t think the NHL actually hates the Caps (I’m pretty sure you were being sarcastic but I’m going to act like you weren’t because this is a great platform for one of my complaints against the league). I think the NHL designed a playoff system that gave them as many divisional matchups as possible during the playoffs, and it juuuuust so happens that Caps-Pens is usually one of them. With Pittsburgh winning. Every. Single. Time. 

spacer.png

Archived