The 2018 NHL Silly Season: Dilly Dilly

buzzcut

At this point, I'm not even surprised. The mismanagement is on another level. They should have traded him at the deadline, or at the draft, when his stock was higher and there was minimal talk of tension. Now, you wait and wait, show the whole league your cards and get table scraps back. Tatar is a 3rd liner at best, Suzuki won't play for another year at least (Bergevin will just wait for him to develop and then trade him in the meantime anyways). 

sig.png

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Habs will certainly be awful, but it would be hysterical if Karlsson and Anderson still drag the Senators to like 88 points the way we always get those random, in-spite-of-everything good Senators seasons. I've said it before and I'll say it again, every year's outcome is determined by them spinning the big Price Is Right wheel.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Are there literally no other French-speaking general manager prospects out there? Not one?

How in the bloody blazes is Bergevin still employed?

---

On the Vegas side, they lost David Perron and James Neal and added Paul Statsny and Max Pacioretty. Not bad overall in the short term.

But long term, I still believe they're :censored:ed. Trading away a player in Tatar that you yourself traded a 1st/2nd/3rd for (and then almost never played), trading away a top-five prospect, and another second round pick for a pending UFA.

Sure, if you have the opportunity, go ahead, shoot for the Moon, but don't complain about the hard crash if you come up short.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

1 hour ago, Still MIGHTY said:

Are there literally no other French-speaking general manager prospects out there? Not one?

---

On the Vegas side, they lost David Perron and James Neal and added Paul Statsny and Max Pacioretty. Not bad overall in the short term.

But long term, I still believe they're screwed. Trading away a player in Tatar that you yourself traded a 1st/2nd/3rd for (and then almost never played), trading away a top-five prospect, and another second round pick for a pending UFA.

Sure, if you have the opportunity, go ahead, shoot for the Moon, but don't complain about the hard crash if you come up short.

They’ve resigned him to a 4 year deal. $7m AAV. 

spacer.png

4 hours ago, Still MIGHTY said:

Nope. Bergevin was capable when he was on his game. But he's corrupt now & Molson isn't gonna bother because of that reason, so...

4 hours ago, Still MIGHTY said:

You just answered your own question (see above).

6 hours ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

At this point, I'm not even surprised. The mismanagement is on another level. They should have traded him at the deadline, or at the draft, when his stock was higher and there was minimal talk of tension. Now, you wait and wait, show the whole league your cards and get table scraps back. Tatar is a 3rd liner at best, Suzuki won't play for another year at least (Bergevin will just wait for him to develop and then trade him in the meantime anyways). 

6 hours ago, the admiral said:

The Habs will certainly be awful

On the positive side, the tank is on!!

Didn’t I just say how dumb I thought it was that Bergevin basically had a job because he spoke French like 3 pages ago in this thread? If that doesn’t say something, then what does?

spacer.png

11 minutes ago, charger77 said:

Yzerman has stepped down in Tampa and is an "advisor" now. 

Was just coming to post this...

https://www.rawcharge.com/2018/9/11/17846698/steve-yzerman-stepping-aside-tampa-bay-lightning-general-manager-nhl-breaking-news-julien-brisebois

Kinda surprised, but he will still be around as an adviser.  BriseBois has been around for a while too and is said to be the key person whos been managing the salary cap.  

5 hours ago, Crabcake47 said:

Didn’t I just say how dumb I thought it was that Bergevin basically had a job because he spoke French like 3 pages ago in this thread? If that doesn’t say something, then what does?

I am an anglophone but I'm bilingual. I use a lot of québécois phrases.

I was born in Quebec and still live in the Montreal area. I love poutine & the culture.

What I don't love is this language barrier preventing my team from evolving & being competitive.

French is fine. But anyone should be able to get the Habs GM job. This comes up more and more these days, from every side. It even surprised me.

On the Yzerman subject, he is sticking around for this season to run out his contract, but will make a decision in the future for any future plans.

He wasnt the only guy who turned the Lightning organization, from owner Jeff Vinik from top down this is the best run organization arguably in US pro sports.

I had a thought cross my mind, but once Yzerman is clear of his contract, the sleeper in all of this is the new Seattle organization.  Tod Leiweke is the apparent team president out west, and he's a former executive in the Lightning front office in the early 2010s.  

16 hours ago, the admiral said:

He's obviously going back to Detroit to clean up Kenny Holland's mess.

Yea, his family has remained in the Detroit area all these years, so he's been going back and forth. It may not be in the immediate future, but I think it's inevitable he comes back to the Wings.

I quite often see him at Spitfires games scouting. Very humble guy. 

sig.png

Archived