The 2018 NHL Silly Season: Dilly Dilly

buzzcut

Jesus stop with the thread titles.  You're not good at this.

That's all I have to contribute.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm reading Faxes From Uncle Dale, the Blackhawks blog that hates the Blackhawks and also charges you money to read it, and they were pretty critical of the Lamoriello hire, saying that it's another case of the hockey old boys' club at work, he didn't really achieve anything in Toronto that wasn't handed to him, and his last years in Jersey were just failures and happy accidents. I can't argue any of those: the Isles hired him on name value, the Leafs had like ten GMs and drafted a generational player 1OA, and the Devils sucked.

And yet it's still probably a decent hire if and only if he can sign Tavares to an eight-year deal. But if he's out there and your hockey side is run by Garth Snow, how do you not take that upgrade? I've defended Garth Snow, but only to the extent that he's achieved as much in real life as Jim Nill, who at this point has so many offseason championships that it must be an offseason dynasty. Now, this blog in particular hates the stat-jockeys in Toronto's front office as much as or more than Lou because they like stats too much or like them wrong or were rude on Twitter once, so I don't know what their solution is. Ryan Lambert Friend-Hirer Ron Francis is out there, but his resume doesn't sparkle. Maybe just hire Ryan Lambert's friends directly, idk.

Is Jurassic Lou's value more in instilling organizational culture than in personnel at this point? Was that the case all along? I can't remember where I read it, but there was a lengthy account of all the nitpicky stuff he would insist upon at the Devils in the name of getting everybody to do their jobs well -- it certainly had some Patriot Way to it but without the weird backbiting paranoia and sabotage. I could buy that top-to-bottom attention to detail and buy-in had as much to do with the Devils' success as the trap and Brodeur when you consider the shambles the organization was in before he got there -- there was nowhere to go but up. The Isles haven't been run with any sort of discipline in years and maybe hiring good people who do their jobs well (I have no empirical proof here but I have a heavy suspicion that the ranks of their hockey-ops dep't are thin and most orgs are really outmanning them) would go a very long way for them and maybe even cover a few inevitable drafting sins if those Devils drafts are any indication. It's a weird spot for me because I want the Islanders to thrive, but not with this guy. If he can't sign Tavares, he should be fired right away like one of his own coaches in Jersey.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

2 hours ago, the admiral said:

Was his son there first? Sounds like the Bowmans in Chicago if so.

That was something I heard a week or two ago, long before anything was announced. I think it is more of that Chicago deal, but maybe Lou will have more of a role than Scotty Bowman did.

6 hours ago, the admiral said:

Was his son there first? Sounds like the Bowmans in Chicago if so.

Yes, his son's been in the front office for a couple years now.

If Lou can change the country club culture that's permeated the Isles organization for the last 20+ years I would be happy.  At the very least he'll be sure to make the hockey ops department better than the hot mess it is now and most importantly this hire means Garth Snow isn't in charge of hockey ops anymore.  I also tend to believe that bringing Lou in helps the Isles' chances of resigning Tavares.  Now if Garth only hadn't given albatross contracts to Ladd, Mayfield, Greiss, Clutterbuck, and Josh Bailey...

• 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, RyanMcD29 said:

So Garth Snow and Doug Weight are bumped out of their positions. So, that whole pressure to get rid of Snow thing really did work?

Bumped out?  They were FIRED!  FIRED!  FIRED!  Since the last cup win in '83 this is the greatest day in recent franchise history!

Hit the bricks Garth!  Don't let the door hit you on the way out and take Dead Weight with ya!  

Yes, this news' made me very happy today.  No, I'm not sorry about it.  

"Doug Weight (they don't love you like I love you)" has never been truer.

Lou will probably hire a Sutter, fire him, coach the team himself for a month, and then hire a second Sutter.

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

Then again we proved conclusively that there was no second Sutter.

Rich and Ron (both former Flyer captains)?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I was thinking Brett and Darryl. 

This is probably a good move for the Islanders, but let us always remember that despite the ignominy of ascending from backup goalie to general manager overnight, Garth Snow's results were surprisingly average. Average won't get it done in today's NHL, but that doesn't stop anyone from fellating Jim Nill. After all, who knows? Tomorrow could be the day he swings Mark Scheifele for Curtis McKenzie because a construction worker asked Scheifele how his day was and now the pressure is so bad that he has to be traded to Dallas and only Dallas, but most likely the Stars just keep missing the playoffs as much as the Islanders did, but more intelligently.

I would just like to state on record that I can no longer click on this thread without dying a little more inside. 

spacer.png

Can we take a minute to acknowledge the fact that Garth Snow remained as the Isles' GM for TWELVE YEARS after the Dipietro contract?

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

20 minutes ago, nash61 said:

Can we take a minute to acknowledge the fact that Garth Snow remained as the Isles' GM for TWELVE YEARS after the Dipietro contract?

All while his teams won exactly one playoff series and just 10 playoff games in 5 playoff series.

I still can't believe he basically walked straight off the ice/back-up goalie folding chair and right into the GM's seat.

The 90s/00s/10s Islanders are truly a specimen to be studied.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

• 2 weeks later...
59 minutes ago, habsfan1 said:

The Habs need a 1C.

Alex Galchenyuk, the Habs best (real) center, traded to Arizona for Max Domi, a mediocre winger...

I don’t much follow the Canadiens but Galchenyuk seems like a better player than Domi. Correct me if I’m wrong but that seems like a big L for Montreal in a straight up deal, unless Domi perfectly fits their system or has some ridiculously good contract, etc. 

spacer.png

27 minutes ago, Crabcake47 said:

I don’t much follow the Canadiens but Galchenyuk seems like a better player than Domi. Correct me if I’m wrong but that seems like a big L for Montreal in a straight up deal, unless Domi perfectly fits their system or has some ridiculously good contract, etc. 

He is a better player. Galchenyuk has been miscast here because management.

Bergevin has been making bad deals after bad deals, ever since the Subban backlash eventually got to him. This is the same GM who signed a injury proned, declined Carey Price to an 8 year, 10,5 million per year contract, making him virtually untradeable for the next decade. Marc-André Fleury makes half of what Price makes.

Archived