The 2018 NHL Silly Season: Dilly Dilly

buzzcut

On 6/19/2018 at 1:48 PM, the admiral said:

Boedker, there's a guy who seemed promising until he had to play on a team that mattered.

Let's not forget the man with the glass taint, Martin Havlat. God, what another waste of dollars and cents that never panned out to much of anything. 

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Alex Houston said:

Let's not forget the man with the glass taint, Martin Havlat. God, what another waste of dollars and cents that never panned out to much of anything. 

I'm not sure Havlat is in that class. He accomplished a lot with the Senators, and if anything, did the reverse in going from a team that mattered to one that didn't in the dark period Blackhawks. He was pretty banged up by the time the Sharks got him, I'll give you that, but he's not the kind of player I had in mind. Justin Faulk appears to be the next guy who will make the jump from "I know something you don't know" to "just a guy," following the once-heralded Jay Bouwmeester.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 hour ago, habsfan1 said:

And if Halak regains his 2010 form.

Halak's a UFA and probably not coming back.

8 hours ago, Crabcake47 said:

With Trotz in New York, assuming that Tavares re-signs, he’ll have them competing within two years. Mark my words. 

If Tavares comes back and Lou can shore up the defense and goaltending they'll be competing this coming season.  Team scored the second most goals in the league last season, they just gave up the most.  In Lou and Trotz we trust!

The Caps have traded Phillip Grubauer and Brooks Orpik to the Avs for the 47th overall pick. Initially I was shocked by how low the return was since I was expecting the inevitable Grubauer deal to fetch a first rounder and/or a decent to good NHLer.

But it’s a cap clearing move. Moving those two contracts gives the Caps an extra $7m in cap space, which will be invaluable in re-signing John Carlson and Tom Wilson. Plus, when you consider that Grubauer was being moved anyways, this looks good for the Caps. They get to sell high on Orpik as well after his excellent postseason. 

Overall, I wish Grubi and Orpik the best. They both played a huge part in the Cup run this season, particularly Grubi filling in for Holtby in the regular season when Holtby got off track there. But Holtby’s our starter and we’ve got three solid-to-good prospects in the pipeline (Copley, Samsonov, Vanecek). Orpik’s goal past MAF in the Final is the stuff of Caps legend already, as well as his monster postseason. 

Also, good move by Colorado imo. They get the starting goalie they need to make a legit push next year. 

spacer.png

Hanifin and Lindholm to the Flames for Hamilton and Ferland. Carolina got the best player in Hamilton but gave up quite a bit. 

Meanwhile, the number of Canadian draft picks has reached an all-time low. Guess that's what happens when you restrict youth hockey to the wealthy. And to think they call it "growing the game."

17 hours ago, the admiral said:

Meanwhile, the number of Canadian draft picks has reached an all-time low. Guess that's what happens when you restrict youth hockey to the wealthy. And to think they call it "growing the game."

And fans of Canadian hockey teams wonder why it's now been a quarter of a century since one of their own hoisted Lord Stanley's Cup...

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

I mean, when it costs upward of $15,000 a year or whatever for a kid to play serious hockey, that's going to preclude kids from the Maritimes or Poisonous Berry, Saskatchewan before it precludes kids from Royal Oak, Michigan or Framingham, Mass., and I have a suspicion the increased Americans in the draft are mostly coming from the same places they've ever come from, and in new areas, are only coming from among the wealthy. That hockey players are basically laxbros on ice now poses a real problem for the socially conscious on Twitter, who can't be caught liking such obvious bros: they already hate the owners and management of the NHL for very good reasons, but once you have contempt for the players, too, who's left to like in any of this but yourselves?

27 minutes ago, the admiral said:

That hockey players are basically laxbros

Disagree. Laxbros are laxbros because they still couldn't skate by the age of fourteen.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

MacLellan's cap clearing deal on Friday accomplished its purpose, as John Carlson has agreed on an 8 year, $64 million deal.  $8.0 million AAV isn't super terrible for an in-his-prime defenseman that quarterbacks the PP.  Happy with this deal. Now we just need to lock up Kempny and Wilson.

spacer.png

Archived