The 2018 NHL Silly Season: Dilly Dilly

buzzcut

And there’s the confirmation. The Athletic report that John Tavares has informed the Islanders that he will not be resigning with them.

spacer.png

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Wings said:

So what you're saying is that Tavares is destined to never win a cup. ;)

They need to stock up on defence and maybe a new starting goalie.

For the record, Carey Price and Shea Weber are available. ;)

For all the other Isles fans, heres the national Suicide Prevention Hotline. 1-800-273-8255

In all seriousness, there was not a more dickish way to go about this. Years of “I never want to leave Long Island,” the do-not-trade request at the deadline, and then not notifying the Islanders at all. I would’ve had respect for the guy unless he hadn’t pulled all that bull :censored:.

Hope he has fun on a team that’ll run out of cap in a year or two.

Charles Wang and Garth Snow are like the clap, the gift that keeps on giving. I hope Garth chokes on a chicken sandwich.  A big efffffffff you to Scott Malkin too because though you brought in Lou and Trotz last month, you should have changed management LAST YEAR when you took over full ownership.  Too little too late.

Tavares’ contract is 7 years, $77 million from Toronto. Reportedly turned down 8 years, $91 million from the Isles. 

spacer.png

4 minutes ago, Crabcake47 said:

Tavares’ contract is 7 years, $77 million from Toronto. Reportedly turned down 8 years, $91 million from the Isles. 

It's good to see people not be greedy.

Even by accepting the Toronto deal, he's still gonna be rich af...

He can still buy a lot of pizza.

6 minutes ago, Zeus89725 said:

For all the other Isles fans, heres the national Suicide Prevention Hotline. 1-800-273-8255

In all seriousness, there was not a more dickish way to go about this. Years of “I never want to leave Long Island,” the do-not-trade request at the deadline, and then not notifying the Islanders at all. I would’ve had respect for the guy unless he hadn’t pulled all that bull :censored:.

Hope he has fun on a team that’ll run out of cap in a year or two.

Look, I don’t care. After Steve “3 assists and one empty net goal in 17 playoff games at even strength” Stamkos chose Tampa over Toronto because the pressure of being recognized at Loblaws was too much for him to handle? I love this. 

Glad to see one GTA born and raised star actually want to play with the Leafs when given the opportunity. 

3 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

Glad to see one GTA born and raised star actually want to play with the Leafs when given the opportunity. 

A Good Canadian Boy actually wanted to go home! @the admiral's probably beside himself.

Go Leafs!

11 minutes ago, tp49 said:

Charles Wang and Garth Snow are like the clap, the gift that keeps on giving. I hope Garth chokes on a chicken sandwich.  A big efffffffff you to Scott Malkin too because though you brought in Lou and Trotz last month, you should have changed management LAST YEAR when you took over full ownership.  Too little too late.

This is my thought. It's a whole new era for the Islanders with Lamoriello/Trotz, but Tavares probably would have liked time to actually experience this new regime to evaluate whether or not he was going to stay on Long Island. The new arena is at least three seasons away (no shovels even in the ground until at least next year), so almost 40% of a hypothetical 8-year deal on the Island would be spent in an awkward split between Barclays and Nassau. If there's a year delay, then it's half the contract; ask the Rams how easy it is to have a big construction project hit snags. If I were an Isles fan, I think I would honestly just be glad that I like the management team in place, and expect the team to be competitive again by the time the team comes home full-time with the new arena.

This is legitimately heartening news for the league to have an elite Canadian player not just end up with but elect to play in Toronto. Awful news for the Islanders, but this is kinda the way it's supposed to work sometimes.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 minute ago, Cosmic said:

200.gif

Sadly Don’s Twitter account hasn’t been updated in three days. I assume he won’t remeber he owns a computer for four more. Don’t worry though, the Don Cherry parody account has us covered.

2 minutes ago, the admiral said:

This is legitimately heartening news for the league to have an elite Canadian player not just end up with but elect to play in Toronto.

It feels like LeBron coming back to Cleveland. Hopefully, it ends up as well.

From what I've heard about Tavares, specifically that he's an over-the-top hockey nerd who loves the history and the ghost stories of the league, it does make sense that he would be the Canadian player to step up and do what needs to be done. Mark Scheifele is supposed to be like that as well, and wouldn't you know it, like the one star Canadian on the Jets amidst a bunch of dudes from Michigan, Minnesota, and Finland.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

"With Trotz in charge, Tavares is going to stay!"

Tavares:

hold-up-gif-11.gif

"I look good in blue and white...just not YOUR blue and white."

Is Trotz feeling silly leaving Washington for the Isles; now that they lost their franchise player?

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

Archived