• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Bobster said:

http://k1025.com/bears-packers-not-oldest-rivalry/

11/28/20 - 1st Cardinals-Bears/Staleys game
11/20/21 - 1st Cardinals-Packers game

11/27/21 - 1st Packers-Bears/Staleys game

Packers-Bears is certainly the most played, but it's not the oldest rivalry/series (however you want to look at it).

I think there's a difference between oldest series and oldest rivalry, though. I don't think very many Bears or Cardinals fans look at their games as "rivalry" games.

Cardinals/Bears is the oldest series, Packers/Bears is the best answer (IMO) for oldest rivalry.

Also, I'm changing the title of this thread because it bothers my inner copy editor a bit too much.

6fQjS3M.png

Nebraska at Penn State has the perfect blend of color/white and is super clean looking. 

USATSI_7573794-e1516297654719.jpg

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

I also like NU-Iowa regardless of who is home or away:

Kevin-Maurice-vs-Iowa-2015-football.jpg

neb4thdownon50.jpg

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Going off the above post, and being a Penn State student/fan:

( I had to add the Saquon hurdle vs Iowa and the Marcus Allen grill over the Pitt player)

Any team wearing simple uniforms with red or yellow pants look awesome against psu blues (nebraska picture above) :

Image result for penn state vs indiana 2015

Image result for penn state vs iowa 2016

Image result for penn state footballImage result for penn state pitt

Image result for saquon barkley usc

And some things I think make them look less awesome:

Image result for penn state footballImage result for penn state akron

Image result for penn state maryland

But the road whites look incredible when they face off against colorful teams, monochromatic or not, and the less white the opponents have, the better they look, yes even against maryland's chaos:

Related imageImage result for penn state northwestern

Related image

Bad uses of the white (i dont actually mean bad i mean not as good as it can be):

Related image

Image result for penn state purdueImage result for penn state white uniforms

In conclusion:

Penn State vs Iowa = one of the best matchups anyone could ask for. Either team could wear whites.

And this may be the greatest combo of uniforms maybe ever:

Related image

Related image

p65A9Ts.png

XEK7sAn.png

Maybe this is an unpopular opinion but I rarely have a strong feeling that Team X's uniform does or does not compliment Team Y's uniform.  I can appreciate when two classics square off (say, the old Celtics vs. Lakers games) but I don't necessarily think the the Celtics "compliment" the Lakers any better than the Mavericks do.

The primary instance where this comes up is color vs. color where the combo tends to detract from the game's aesthetic.  I have yet to see an MLB game involving two alts where I did not think it would look better if at least one of the teams was wearing a white or gray primary.  The NBA is fairly hit or miss (though I would like to be able to turn on the TV and immediate know which teams are playing and who is at home; that's not always the case anymore), but color vs. color tends to be a negative. 

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

The Chicago Bulls' primary uniforms of the 1990s are probably my all-time favorite. The best use of red and black in the league's history, Portland and Miami notwithstanding.

The Knicks might be the best in terms of opponent complements.

maxresdefault.jpg

MJ1993NYK505050.jpg

The only other opponent I can think of that might give this matchup a run for its money is the Lakers, especially during the same era.

Magic-Jordan-1991-finals.jpg

lakers_bulls.jpg

Cavs:

9768674-kevin-durant-lebron-james-nba-go

This Christmas matchup was a bump up from the previous year's look with the white numbers/letters. 

Buckeyes:

29cityMICHIGAN-master768.jpg

The 2015 matchup of The Game was perfect. My Buckeyes keep :censored:ing up the uniform matchup with crappy alts. We look good at home with either the primary red or the gray stripes, but we haven't busted out the 2014 National Title jerseys against UM yet. So wish we'd go back to the Eddie George template full time, with maybe having blackout/alt jerseys against Penn State. 

Browns:

158819581.jpg?w=594&h=360&crop=1

ravens-vs-browns.jpg?resize=620,400&ssl=

I miss our old uniforms. I also miss even having false hope of beating the Steelers or Ravens when we played them.

But  the 1966 NFL Championship may be the best a football game has ever looked (Google for more photos, hard to find good links from sources):

1966-01-10-SI-04.jpg

On 4/11/2018 at 11:25 AM, Satomiblood said:

The Chicago Bulls' primary uniforms of the 1990s are probably my all-time favorite. The best use of red and black in the league's history, Portland and Miami notwithstanding.

The Knicks might be the best in terms of opponent complements.

The only other opponent I can think of that might give this matchup a run for its money is the Lakers, especially during the same era.

7629e895d3337e0504818797a6c7825e.jpg

Pistons should be right up there with the Lakers and Knicks.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived