2018 NBA "Off"Season-Because It's Always On

buzzcut

I wonder if the Cavs jersey ad is now worthless with LeBron gone? I’m sure Goodyear inked a multi-year deal, but the price was surely based on LeBron wearing it. When it come up for negotiation, there’s no way they’ll get much for it. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 671
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I wonder if the Cavs jersey ad is now worthless with LeBron gone? I’m sure Goodyear inked a multi-year deal, but the price was surely based on LeBron wearing it. When it come up for negotiation, there’s no way they’ll get much for it. 

Makes you think the scamsite “wish” is now getting a steal.

On 7/3/2018 at 7:25 PM, BringBackTheVet said:

Here's a perfect example of why the NBA blows.  I couldn't care less about "super teams", it's crap like this that makes it impossible for me to care:

The Sixers traded for some guy named Wilson Chandler.  

• They didn't actually trade for him, they "absorbed" him.  They're not sending anything in return (miniscule cash "considerations") and are actually receiving a 2nd round pick, and the rights to swap future pick(s) with the guy.
  • The Nuggets just wanted to dump his contract, regardless of their feelings for the player.  Not because they couldn't afford it, but they needed to do some bizarre calculus to keep someone else.
  • Some writer wrote that he was "acquired with room" (whatever that means) which makes it so he can be flipped right away, so the Sixers could have done this strictly to have a tradable person making that much money.  WHAT THE EFFING F?  This is as bad as all the times Jamal Mashburn was traded even though he was retired.

How anyone can think this is the way a sports league should work is beyond me, and I'm pretty sure nobody here thinks it's a good system, because the only people who do think it's a good system are so stupid that they probably can't log into a computer or phone to even post here.  It's that godsdamned dumb.

All my friends who are NBA fans are always saying things like "I don't get why they wouldn't take advantage of the Stern Bonus and use that to flip Witherspoon to Charlotte to pick up Muskingus and then take the Luxury Tax Settlement Gains for the 7/8th exemption from the third round pick last year, package that with Marshall and offer a sign and trade with Milwaukee for Clayton. They need a guy on the wing who can hit shots and that's the only way to get it done. It's right in front of their noses." 

How is a sport with that few players this complicated in roster building?

PvO6ZWJ.png

Because of the CBA. The NBA should abolish its salary cap and a lot of these current problems go away.

New ones arise, of course, but they wouldn't be too much different than what we have now.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

9 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

She's just repeating the same things which were brought up to her during the All Star break.  

I linked to part two of the interview, but part one with her discusses the influence of LeBron and medical marijuana.  

If any league were to accept marijuana it would be the NBA. Do they even test for it? They shouldn't.

The confluence of factors that created the current Warriors will never be replicated. And to be honest, there's still a good chance Durant would have signed with them even if the cap hadn't bumped.

That the Warriors players are willing to sacrifice salary for the benefit of their ownership is on them. One has to think there are some Joe Smith-level shenanigans going on, but the Warriors would be more sophisticated about hiding them than the T Wolves we're.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I've decided to follow the NBA. I'm from Chicago but never much cared for the Bulls, even when they were 72-10. I've settled on the Orlando Magic as my team, for a variety of reasons, few that are actually basketball-related.

Did I make a horrible decision? 

30 minutes ago, DDR said:

I've decided to follow the NBA. I'm from Chicago but never much cared for the Bulls, even when they were 72-10. I've settled on the Orlando Magic as my team, for a variety of reasons, few that are actually basketball-related.

Yes.

Just now, DDR said:

? I'm beginning to realize that. 

I mean, I'm a Grizzlies fan, so who am I to judge? The dynastic nature of the NBA makes it so that rooting for most teams is a mistake if your attitude is title or bust. So just have fun with it, and maybe learn to enjoy watching random games when your team is too depressing. 

1 hour ago, DDR said:

There was nothing like the Bulls when Jordan played. It felt like Chicago was the center of the universe. The only thing dumber than just now becoming a Bulls fan in Chicago is just now becoming an Orlando Magic fan in Chicago, the Magic being the preferred team of 1990s Chicagoland's nine-year-old contrarian goons.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Just now, the admiral said:

There was nothing like the Bulls when Jordan played. It felt like Chicago was the center of the universe. The only thing dumber than just now becoming a Bulls fan in Chicago is just now becoming an Orlando Magic fan in Chicago, the Magic being the preferred team of 1990s Chicagoland's nine-year-old contrarian goons.

I'm no longer in Chicago. 

Rooting for the Baby Lakers the past several seasons was a lot of fun. The Magic will never have that same mystique, but Isaac and Mo Bamba might be fun to watch together.

I also really hope Nike brings back those amazing galaxy jerseys from last year. They were the best of the City jerseys.

It's going to take me too long to adjust to "Mo Bamba" being a new player's name and not an existing player's nickname. Do you know how long I was confused by Fab Melo?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

44 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Oh, okay, well, still, that doesn't change the fact that 3rd graders in Shaq jerseys were little jerks.

Oh, yeah, that's not even up for debate. 

EDIT: I'm glad I'm not the only one. For the longest time, as a verrrrry casual NBA fan, I thought "Fab Melo" was just something we were calling Carmelo Anthony now. 

Archived