2018 NBA "Off"Season-Because It's Always On

buzzcut

• Replies 671
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

If he sits out he doesn't accrue a year of service, correct? That would just delay his free agency until 2020.

At a certain point he needs to play basketball. I'm not sure what he thinks the NBA is actually all about.

He basically needs to be on the active roster for one day to accrue a season , then the details come in if they try to pull a hustle.

From the CBA definitions:

“Years of Service” means the number of years of NBA service credited to a player in accordance with the following: a player will be credited with one (1) year of NBA service for each year that he is on an NBA Active List or Inactive List for one (1) or more days during the Regular Season.

Notwithstanding the above, a player will not receive credit for a Year of Service for any year in which he: (i) withholds playing services called for by a Player Contract or this Agreement for more than thirty (30) days after the Season begins, or (ii) is a Restricted Free Agent, has been tendered a Qualifying Offer by his Prior Team and the Prior Team has extended the date by which the player may accept the Qualifying Offer until March 1 in accordance with the Article XI, Section 4(c)(i), and has not signed a Player Contract with any Team by March 1. 

In addition, notwithstanding the above, a player will not receive credit for a Year of Service for being on an NBA Active List or Inactive List as a result of signing a Player Contract that is disapproved by the Commissioner. In no event can a player be credited with more than one (1) Year of Service with respect to any one NBA Season. A Year of Service will be credited to a player on the June 30 following the Season with respect to which it is being credited.

Under no circumstances shall the definition of Years of Service herein be used for purposes of determining a player’s years of credited eligibility, benefit, and/or vesting service under any benefit plan or program provided for under Article IV of this Agreement, including, without limitation, the Pension Plan, 401(k) Plan, Health and Welfare Benefit Plan (including the Retiree Medical Plan, HRA Benefit, and tuition reimbursement program), or Post-Career Income Plan.

Players shall be credited with Years of Service pursuant to this Section 1(iiii) only in respect of Seasons covered by this Agreement. Years of Service credit for Seasons prior to the 2005 NBA/NBPA Collective Bargaining Agreement shall be determined in accordance with the provisions of the 1999 NBA/NBPA Collective Bargaining Agreement.

https://atlhawksfanatic.github.io/NBA-CBA/definitions.html

51 minutes ago, mcj882000 said:

We might have our answer, not even a day after the trade:

My heavens ... so stupid. Just play damnit! Who's giving him advice? It's going to hurt him more to sit out than to play in Toronto.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

He will probably have to forfeit his $21+ million salary because of fines for missing games and practices if he does, I believe, so that seems unlikely.  The whole trade is baffling to me.

IUe6Hvh.png

5 hours ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

Do they attempt to trade him to an LA team at the deadline for assets? Or would the Lakers/Clippers not bother because they'd have a solid shot at him in FA anyways?

If the Lakers want him badly enough they'll make the move. And Toronto could be the perfect place for younger players that will be expected to contend for the East title but won't get buried if they don't. I'd still be interested to see if anyone else is willing to take on Lonzo and the sideshow that is his dad and his brothers. Somehow I think Cleveland would be dumb enough to do it, just to ensure they stay on Page 6. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

3 hours ago, kimball said:

HOT TAKES

• This is obviously a gamble the Raptors are making -- and I'm not sure if they would have made it had Paul George resigned with OKC after they gambled last year in trading for him.
  • The Raptors-Kawhi relationship can go one of three ways ...
    • Kawhi plays his heart out and leads the Raptors to the Finals and earns a big contract next summer with the Raptors
    • Kawhi plays his heart out and leads the Raptors to the Finals and earns a big contract next summer only to sign with either the Clippers or Lakers. 
    • Kawhi put puts around doesn't hide his displeasure playing in Toronto so they trade after December 15 to one of the LA teams or another team willing to take a half season flier on him.
  • The Spurs are trying to keep their head above water, but my mid-season start the process of a more extensive rebuild with Pop's resignation. Then come summer you'll see them ship off LA, DeMar and others with value. (NOTE: It wouldn't surprise me if Pop resigned before the season began). 
  • The Raptors aren't winning the East unless Kawhi buys in and plays how we all know he can play. But, even with an all-in Kawhi it'd be a tough series with Boston.
  • The Spurs aren't making the playoffs in the West unless Minnesota, New Orleans or Portland implodes and Denver doesn't get their :censored: together again.

What if they know they have absolutely zero chance at re-signing him and flip him at the deadline to a border-line contender (Utah or Philadelphia for example) for picks or whatever? 

sig.png

1 hour ago, See Red said:

He will probably have to forfeit his $21+ million salary because of fines for missing games and practices if he does, I believe, so that seems unlikely.  The whole trade is baffling to me.

Well, we don't know how the TOR medical staff thinks of his right quad.  We know what the Spurs staff thought, as well as what the Dr. Jonathan Glashow, the Co-Chief of Sports Medicine & Clinical Associate Professor at Mount Sinai Medical Center andthe chief orthopedic surgeon for the Sixers and Nets, which led to the idea of the Sixers serious interest in him. 

1 hour ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

What if they know they have absolutely zero chance at re-signing him and flip him at the deadline to a border-line contender (Utah or Philadelphia for example) for picks or whatever? 

That's not a bad game plan, but you're probably not going to be much in return outside of a first round pick (and it'd be a late round pick too) and maybe one expiring contract? That seems like an awful return considering you gave up your franchise player, young prospect and a pick for Leonard.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

3 hours ago, mcj882000 said:

We might have our answer, not even a day after the trade:

My question is here is 'Where did he want to go?" and "Why didn't he talk to the GM or Pop and tell them that 'Hey, these are the places that I am willing to be traded to and these are the places that I will not go to. Toronto is one of the places I will NOT go to, under any circumstances' so that this mess doesn't happen?"

2 minutes ago, Seadragon76 said:

My question is here is 'Where did he want to go?" and "Why didn't he talk to the GM or Pop and tell them that 'Hey, these are the places that I am willing to be traded to and these are the places that I will not go to. Toronto is one of the places I will NOT go to, under any circumstances' so that this mess doesn't happen?"

That’s far too reasonable a plan. 

spacer.png

1 hour ago, kimball said:

That's not a bad game plan, but you're probably not going to be much in return outside of a first round pick (and it'd be a late round pick too) and maybe one expiring contract? That seems like an awful return considering you gave up your franchise player, young prospect and a pick for Leonard.

Right...but better than absolutely nothing at all when he darts in the summer.

sig.png

2 hours ago, Seadragon76 said:

If those teams aren't willing to talk to the Spurs, he ain't going there. Since San Antonio asked for the moon and wouldn't budge, the Lakers and Clippers weren't going to handcuff themselves.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

4 hours ago, Seadragon76 said:

Why would the Spurs care?  They get their players from Toronto either way.  From what I've heard about this guy, they don't owe him anything, and they'd be double stupid to trade him to one of their conference rivals.  

Toronto seems like a fine place to play (except for being there in the winter) but I can't blame a guy for wanting to control his own destiny.  

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

From Vegas Insider:

After being a 50-to-1 choice to win the West according to odds from the Westgate Las Vegas Superbook to open the month, the Spurs are now 125-to-1 in the conference and 200-to-1 to win it all upon flipping Leonard.

With James finally departing the Eastern Conference after joining the Lakers, the Raptors figured to be in the mix to reach the Finals but were considered a 40-to-1 shot to win the NBA title by Westgate if they returned the same roster. That number is now 20-to-1.

The Raps were 8-to-1 to get out of the East, trailing the Celtics (5/8) and 76ers (2/1). Following this Leonard news, Boston (4/5) and Philly (5/2) have been downgraded slightly as East favorites, while Toronto is now 4-to-1. Milwaukee, Washington and Indiana are each available at 18/1 while Miami has some nice value at 50-to-1.

http://www.vegasinsider.com/nba/story.cfm/story/1929069/

7 hours ago, kimball said:

My heavens ... so stupid. Just play damnit! Who's giving him advice?

I'm guessing a Chihuahua and a ham sandwich.  Or people who are not smart.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Carmelo Anthony is going to be paid $28 million dollars to not play basketball for the Atlanta Hawks. 

Hopefully he signs with the Warriors and gives the rest of the NBA a chance. 

spacer.png

The Thunder could have saved $107 million with the waive-and-stretch provision

That good old waive-and-stretch provision we all love so much and can't stop talking about

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived