Fixing the CFL

YYCB

Here's Ottawa who's current unis aren't atrocious - they just need some tweaking. Most notably, that goofy hashtag on the pants has got to go. Just looks so bush league in my opinion. Not sure about the full red shoulders but included them anyway. One thing I need to figure out is how to do a matte helmet because I think that woudl look pretty nice on a team like Ottawa.

ott_home2.jpg

ott_vis2.jpg

ott_home1.jpg

ott_vis1.jpg

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An idea I tossed around a while ago was that I would love to see each team have a unique helmet colour that they own.

BC- orange

Calgary- red

Edmonton- yellow

Hamilton- black

Montreal- white

Ottawa- silver

Saskatchewan- green

Toronto- blue

Winnipeg- gold

That said, how would the Redblacks look with a silver bucket? As long as they still have red and black in the colour scheme, I think it would be a solid look. Definitely seconding the call for more plaid, too.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

On 4/12/2018 at 6:43 PM, brycew8 said:

When Adidas took over the CFL uniforms in 2016, they hit home runs with a few, most notably the Toronto Argonauts and Winnipeg Blue Bombers. Unfortunately there were a few real duds like Montreal and Calgary. One thing I really dislike is that so many teams use the same template with the arm striping (BC, Calgary, Sask, Ottawa) and side panels (Calgary, Sask, Ottawa). When will this idiotic trend go away!

My first submission is Montreal. Right now they possibly have the worst uniform design of all time, especially combined with a really bad cartoon logo. My fix here is pretty simple: new logo with clean design based on their glory days in the 70's. To me this seems like a real easy fix.

Als_home.jpg

Als_vis.jpg

Every one of these looks is better than what the CFL currently has.  Every.  Single.  One.  And this Alouettes logo is truly inspired.

The ONLY beef I have is with the Esks.  You can't mess with the Double E, even to put icicles on them.  That's a touch sacreligious.

nav-logo.png

On 4/12/2018 at 6:52 PM, brycew8 said:

My next biggest beef is the Calgary Stampeders. For years they were known as the Red and White. Hell they even have a club called that in the stadium end zone. Too bad they got caught up in the black trend some time in the late 90's and have been stuck with some form of it ever since. They actually look more like they should be called the Red Blacks. My fixes include removing all black except for the horse logo outline and returning to classic striping. The "outlaw" number font adds a modern update and adding red pants adds some home and away options.

home.jpg

road.jpg

home2.jpg

road2.jpg

Yes!!! Get rid of the Black and Red color scheme.

On 4/12/2018 at 8:07 PM, brycew8 said:

Next up are the Hamilton Tiger-Cats. I thought they took a step back from the previous designs and although they're not horrible, the all blacks get a bit boring. Added some modern striping and added a full throwback as alternate. Enjoy!

home.jpg

away_A.jpg

home_B.jpg

away_B.jpg

alt.jpg

Does anybody agree with me that the CFL teams should go back to wearing white sleeves on home jerseys and color sleeves on away?

19 hours ago, Tygers09 said:

Does anybody agree with me that the CFL teams should go back to wearing white sleeves on home jerseys and color sleeves on away?

I would say only the traditional teams that wore them, the Ticats and the Alouettes... the others never wore them to my recollection and I go back to the early '80s...

22eb89183f6e207bcbce03d4e0b1474d.jpg

On 4/13/2018 at 8:24 PM, Mac the Knife said:

Every one of these looks is better than what the CFL currently has.  Every.  Single.  One.  And this Alouettes logo is truly inspired.

The ONLY beef I have is with the Esks.  You can't mess with the Double E, even to put icicles on them.  That's a touch sacreligious.

Thanks man, appreciate the comments. On the Esks, I certainly didn't mean to disrespect the logo but I'm curious to know what Edmonton fans think of it overall. Personally I think its a downgrade from the logo from their glory days. The double E was more unique as opposed to the straight edges they have now, and I have no idea why they ever added black to it. Now that's sacrilegious!

edmonton-eskimos-football-warren-moon-19

I really like BC's current home uniforms but I think they missed an opportunity to add their classic paw logo to the shoulders/sleeves. The current striping is just so generic. I also think they could use a logo upgrade as the current lion looks a bit too passive.

For the road unis, I've never been a fan of home and away helmets (except for special occasions). I couldn't decide on what look I liked best though - so I included two ideas for the aways.

Home1.jpg

vis_1.jpg

vis_2.jpg

2 hours ago, brycew8 said:

Thanks man, appreciate the comments. On the Esks, I certainly didn't mean to disrespect the logo but I'm curious to know what Edmonton fans think of it overall. Personally I think its a downgrade from the logo from their glory days. The double E was more unique as opposed to the straight edges they have now, and I have no idea why they ever added black to it. Now that's sacrilegious!

Agreed.  And whoever winds up buying the BC Lions from David Braley needs to buy the rights to that logo and have it anchor a complete rebrand.

nav-logo.png

The latest Argos unis are pretty flawless IMO (and I think Winnipeg's are the best in the league). All I would do is extend the pant striping - I'm not sure why they cut them off (along with Edmonton's) - so I'm not going to do a big redesign for the Argos or Blue Bombers. Instead - here's an idea I had for an alternate/throwback - based on a design they briefly used in the mid 70's. I didn't use the logo from back then - it was pretty boring (just the letter "A") so I'm using the boat logo which I always really liked.

argos_Alt.jpg

argos_Alt2.jpg

2 hours ago, Mac the Knife said:

Agreed.  And whoever winds up buying the BC Lions from David Braley needs to buy the rights to that logo and have it anchor a complete rebrand.

I personally think the Lions should adapt a new logo. Not a big fan of how the BC initials force the lion to face away from the opponent on the left side of the helmet.

1 hour ago, neo_prankster said:

I personally think the Lions should adapt a new logo. Not a big fan of how the BC initials force the lion to face away from the opponent on the left side of the helmet.

I agree. It doesn't really show up in my design, but I'd have just the lion head on each side  - both facing to the front. No BC letters. Here's another branding treatment - not sure if most folks know that the Lions are named after two mountain peaks called "the lions".

Home1b.jpg

Archived