Fixing the CFL

YYCB

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, brycew8 said:

Thanks man, appreciate the comments. On the Esks, I certainly didn't mean to disrespect the logo but I'm curious to know what Edmonton fans think of it overall. Personally I think its a downgrade from the logo from their glory days. The double E was more unique as opposed to the straight edges they have now, and I have no idea why they ever added black to it. Now that's sacrilegious!

edmonton-eskimos-football-warren-moon-19

This is going to be a lot different than the majority here but I think the black looks good with the Eskimos and they seem kind of plain without it. Also, I secretly miss the polar bear logo they had for a couple years around 1996. But I was a child of the 90s so I love all that zany :censored: because I grew up with it.

I love your Alouettes logo and I hope they adopt it. I'm not a big fan of just moving to a retro design, so I'd like to see more of the uniform design being drawn upon your logo.

For Calgary, I agree they should switch to red and white or at least more dominant red and white with black as an accent colour. Black as an alternate is still important to their identity (being the first CFL team to wear an alternate uniform back in the 90s), so incorporating a little still makes sense. Because of that, silver doesn't work for me there. Adding black outlines to the numbers and maybe the striping would make it pop a bit more.

Edmonton's striping is great like that. I actually thought their 2012-2015 jerseys were perfect and was disappointed they reverted to the 2005-2011 design. I like how you actually made a gold jersey look good for them. I think the numerals on the green jersey need outlines just to make it consistent with the other two.

For Hamilton, I like your helmet and pant stripes, but they're inconsistent with the jersey stripes. I'd say pick one or the other and go with that striping throughout.

I really like your Saskatchewan designs all around. The primary home and aways just need shoulder numbers.It's a shame that the franchise moved away from silver since I think silver/grey/pewter would be a good accent colour for them. The wheat pattern elements are also really nice and have a futuro-retro feel to them.

Ottawa's current uniforms are bland, but the plaid version you posted is excellent. I have no idea why they didn't incorporate plaid in the 2016 overhaul. I'd add plaid to the pant stripe just to maintain consistency with the jersey. Maybe even on the helmet stripe.

My Lions are a templated mess right now and your concepts are a definite upgrade. I actually like their orange helmet though since three other teams currently use black helmets as well. My main gripe with BC's current home look is the absence of white and the away's absence of black. Your designs provide a lot better brand cohesion (although the third option looks like a mix between a few different eras, so it looks odd to me).

The Argos need a Cambridge blue jersey and you went with a great design. Their only other good option is to go with the current Oxford blue jersey and invert the blues. 

I'm looking forward to the Bombers' alternate you have in store. Do you have a Halifax concept planned?

really liking both the BC Lions and Toronto Argonauts concepts -- the Boatmen logo has always been one of my favorites for Toronto. Not quite sold on light blue uniforms for the Argos, would rather see dark blue jerseys.

22eb89183f6e207bcbce03d4e0b1474d.jpg

On ‎16‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 2:03 PM, brycew8 said:

I agree. It doesn't really show up in my design, but I'd have just the lion head on each side  - both facing to the front. No BC letters. Here's another branding treatment - not sure if most folks know that the Lions are named after two mountain peaks called "the lions".

Home1b.jpg

Make the Lions head more central so the jaw is in the middle of the (mountains)?

Also I don't like the wordmark, maybe just a big BC or maybe an interlocked BC with their start year under it?

Logano wins BOWL before Chargers.

On 4/16/2018 at 12:03 AM, brycew8 said:

I agree. It doesn't really show up in my design, but I'd have just the lion head on each side  - both facing to the front. No BC letters. Here's another branding treatment - not sure if most folks know that the Lions are named after two mountain peaks called "the lions".

Home1b.jpg

Logo 2.0 is a significant improvement, over top of an initial improvement.  Nicely done.  Just two thoughts for you to play with (not criticisms by any means, just "wonder how they'd turn out if's..."):

1.  Ditch the upper part of the shield at the point where the far left peak slopes downward and joins with the body, essentially making it look as a sort of seamless evolution of the lion's body into the shield.

2.  What would the lion look like with a closed mouth, standing in proud repose, rather than appearing ready to rip your head off and **** down your neck?

nav-logo.png

On 2018-04-16 at 12:03 AM, brycew8 said:

Home1b.jpg

Well if that is true about the mountains, well then this logo is perfect!  It's actually perfect no matter what!!!

shamrockles.png

shamrocklescronological.png

On 4/16/2018 at 2:27 PM, G-tron said:

Do you have a Halifax concept planned?

Did up some Halifax/Atlantic concepts over the weekend but not sure if I really like any of them. I wanted to do a Navy/warship concept (with the name "Atlantic Destroyers") but I just couldn't get it to work. Maybe I'll revisit when I have more time or with comments & suggestions from you fine people. In the meantime - here is concept #1: Atlantic Schooners  (fingers crossed I don't get roasted too much for my lame ass ball/anchor secondary logo, lol).

schooners1_home.jpg

schooners1_vis.jpg

I like the color scheme for this one but also recognize that the logo is too juvenile and goofy. I was thinking "Atlantic Sea Monsters" and this was the result. Maybe I need to stop drinking so much or they need to make a thread called "way out there concepts".

se_Monsters1_home.jpg

se_Monsters1_vis.jpg

1 hour ago, brycew8 said:

Concept #2: Atlantic Schooners (again). Not sure if I like this one either and was very hesitant to post it.

schooners2_home.jpg

schooners2_vis.jpg

Different, but definitely unique! Love the aqua/teal and columbia blue color combination!

On 4/19/2018 at 11:01 PM, brycew8 said:

Concept #2: Atlantic Schooners (again). Not sure if I like this one either and was very hesitant to post it.

schooners2_home.jpg

schooners2_vis.jpg

Although the Sea Monster identity is unique, this Schooner identity needs to be what they use come announcement day.

Archived