What do we know about the new Dolphins set?

ramsjetsthunder

24 minutes ago, kimball said:

I need to read the Nike press release associated with this masterpiece.

"Just as the fin on the mighty dolphin helps to navigate the animal through the depths of the ocean, the fins on the new numbers represent the Dolphins navigating their way to the top of the NFL." - Nike

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, IceBurgs70 said:

I've never been a fan of number fonts that feature the downward slanted #2. The only team that can get away with it are the Bulls.

Ya I mean its definitely exclusive to the Bulls. I mean them and the Broncos, Chargers, Stars, NY Rangers, Red Wings, Devils, and Penguins to name a few.

15 hours ago, NikeRuinsEverything said:

...A better example would be when the Knicks got rid of the Black in their uniforms. The Knicks didn't change their logo or their uniforms, they just swapped black for grey...

I’m gonna rain on your parade here, but the Knicks did all the things you just mentioned, plus some. They did the following:

Updated primary mark

Replaced token with basketball

Redesigned uniforms

Changed uniform lettering

9 hours ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

Yeah, the mix of round and sharp corners just doesn't look right at all. 

This is an easy fix too. 

gPuRvHG.png

Not to to mention the complete lack of care in refining the weight, composition, and/or proportions of the numerals. Look at the tiny center strokes on the 3 and 8, which are exacerbated by the ultra deep cuts on the sides, the 7 looks like it’s about to tip over, the serif on the 1 is the size of a planet, the inside angle of the 4 is shallower than the outside, the overhanging terminals on the 2, 3, 5, 6, and 9 are all different lengths, and I could probably go on. This is truly a mess.

2 hours ago, Brown1 said:

Ya I mean its definitely exclusive to the Bulls. I mean them and the Broncos, Chargers, Stars, NY Rangers, Red Wings, Devils, and Penguins to name a few.

Pittsburgh does not have a slanted 2. Edmonton, Buffalo, Vancouver, Minnesota, Calgary, Philadelphia, Montréal, Toronto, Boston, Arizona, Tampa Bay, Carolina, Colorado, Los Angeles, Washington, and Winnipeg do, though. ^_^

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

19 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

Pittsburgh does not have a slanted 2. Edmonton, Buffalo, Vancouver, Minnesota, Calgary, Philadelphia, Montréal, Toronto, Boston, Arizona, Tampa Bay, Carolina, Colorado, Los Angeles, Washington, and Winnipeg do, though. ^_^

Look harder fam. Different fonts in different places. 3 different colored numbers on one uniform. Makes you wanna cry, but just on the inside cuz you’re a man and your dad will be proud of you someday so you’re gonna keep it together.20170529pdPenguinsSports18-1.jpg

17 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Where to begin...

ajunk1_zpsdu2wzrga.png

The biggest eyesore to me is the weird mix of rounded corners and squared corners.  Just so random... it seems to be one of those examples of a design being created just because you can.

Some corners of Florida are pointed; others are round. DUH!!!!1!

6 hours ago, Brown1 said:

Look harder fam. Different fonts in different places. 3 different colored numbers on one uniform. Makes you wanna cry, but just on the inside cuz you’re a man and your dad will be proud of you someday so you’re gonna keep it together.20170529pdPenguinsSports18-1.jpg

The fact that they still use their old numbers for their helmet decals is wack, but asked to describe “the Penguins numbers,” 99 out of 100 are going to look at the jersey, not the helmet decals.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I would have preferred that they use the previous font on their throwback jerseys, just to separate them a little bit from the Lemieux set.  IIRC the only number that was a little weird was the 7, but it was still fine.

There's no excuse for allowing that Dolphins number set to make it to production.  None.  Anyone with the judgement to green-light that shouldn't have a job in the design industry, unless the team was like "no no no no no - we want THAT one!", and pointed to a rough sketch that someone threw on the floor.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Re: Slanted 2 - as a kid in the 80s and early 90s, I always associated the slanted 2 with hockey.  Only the Champion teams wore it in the NFL, and I thought they looked weak, since the "tough" teams (in my young mind) all wore the horizontal 2.

The Bulls were the only NBA team I associated with it.  Can't recall if they were the only team that used it, but certainly the only high-profile team (not counting the Lakers, since they didn't use traditional block like the majority of the league.)

I never liked it because I used to sketch jerseys on graph paper, and diagonal lines aggrivated me.  Very few of my concepts (done at age 10 in the late 80s) used the number 7 - almost all used 32.  I did actually draw full custom font sets that matched the teams theme (like Viking horns on the VIkings numbers) but for the most part only used block.  

The thing about fonts that really pissed me off was when the inside of the numbers had notches rather than being right angles.  Totally defeated the "block" look - might as well have just been round, since "block" to me meant that the number template was literally cut out of something like graph paper (which made the slants on the 6s and 9s that Russell used a little awk). 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I can safely I have never taken this level of notice of the shape of the Number 2 in block fonts.  I've never even paid much attention to it.

And, yes, I know exactly what this place is all about.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

8 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

I’m gonna rain on your parade here, but the Knicks did all the things you just mentioned, plus some. They did the following:

Updated primary mark

Replaced token with basketball

Redesigned uniforms

Changed uniform lettering

qq6jhhi515f6i5d38errfwyr1.gif

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gif

okay, on the jersey's I agree with you, and they lightened the blue and orange as well. My main point was the drop of black and the addition of grey, but it doesn't matter. After seeing the draft caps, I don't see the dolphins doing what I had predicted at all. Thank god, but they still should be just sticking with those throwbacks full time. 

10 minutes ago, leopard88 said:

I can safely I have never taken this level of notice of the shape of the Number 2 in block fonts.  I've never even paid much attention to it.

And, yes, I know exactly what this place is all about.

Really?  As a kid it drove me nuts that some teams actually used both styles in the same season!  I had a mid 80s Sixers team photo where some players had horizontal and some diagonal.

I HATED the Bills uniforms in the Super Bowls because of their slanted 2 (but still rooted for them because they were against Eagles rivals in all games.)  I HATED Champion teams even more because of the curved 7.  HOw the hell do you get a curved 7 out of an otherwise block-ish font?

I accepted the slanted 2 in hockey because I justified it as being a "faster" font than its boxier brother.

3 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Really?  As a kid it drove me nuts that some teams actually used both styles in the same season!  I had a mid 80s Sixers team photo where some players had horizontal and some diagonal.

I HATED the Bills uniforms in the Super Bowls because of their slanted 2 (but still rooted for them because they were against Eagles rivals in all games.)  I HATED Champion teams even more because of the curved 7.  HOw the hell do you get a curved 7 out of an otherwise block-ish font?

I accepted the slanted 2 in hockey because I justified it as being a "faster" font than its boxier brother.

The Champion font is probably the only block font that actually caught my eye.  It was always a favorite of mine, probably because Maryland football used it in the 80s.

hqdefault.jpg

I loved the 7.  I don't think I paid as much attention to the 2.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

On 4/12/2018 at 10:40 PM, aawagner011 said:

This is the interesting part to me. If it’s so subtle that most won’t notice, then why are they having an unveiling for the new set? I remember hearing it’s supposed to be revealed the same day as the Jags uniform. I’d think if it were such a minor change, they’d just put out an article and say “we tweaked the shade of orange and now it’s slightly thicker.”

it wont be a big unveiling event. the day it comes out, there wont be much to it besides a page you can view the old and new. we felt like that was needed so when the changes are spotted there no confusion about it. since this is not a “new uniform” it wont be a big deal

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

On 4/13/2018 at 11:05 AM, FroznYogurt said:

Logo remaining the same but the orange is becoming darker.KuFygmL.png

Just to make sure, is this accurate that the Dolphins are officially changing their orange? I couldn't find information on it anywhere except this graphic.

Archived