Circular Brackets

officeglenn

I remember another user here coming up with this idea a couple of years ago, but I can't for the life of me remember who it was or come up with the right search terms to find the old topic. But here goes anyway ...

ย 

Given that it's playoff time in the NBA and NHL, and a recent work project got me thinking about presenting data in different ways,ย I was messing around this morning with circular brackets. I'm wondering which version everyone likes better: where the colours fade in toward the middle (20% of a team colourย in the first round, 40% in the second, etc.), or the one where they're solid throughout.

ย 

FYI - this is just a chalk version of this year's NHL Playoffs for example purposes and should not be taken as any sort of prediction.

ย 

rH2gbNh.png

ย 

xAbnQUU.png

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest darkpiranha

I like the non-faded one.ย  For me, the most dynamic aspect of hockey is the strong color, and the faded one makes the colors more of a hint or afterrhought.ย  The solid color one really reflects the team colors.ย  There's probably a way to incorporate some sort of separation between the circles so that they rounds don't completely bleed one into the other.ย  It doesn't bother me like it is now, but I'd be curious to see it with maybe a slightly darker shade border or something.ย  Also, comparing it to the Conrad's original, while I like the logos on his, I like the curved text on Officeglenn's that follows the angle of the circle rather than everything being upright.

• 2 weeks later...

Round 1 of the NHL playoffs is complete. Here's how the bracket looks now (logos and series results added):

ย 

uNn2XjG.png

Great job with the little white arrows. what if you dropped the team names and moved the scores in their place? as in the ducks would have a 0 and the sharks would have a 4. I love the translucent logos in the background. Just an idea, but great job here

p65A9Ts.png

ย XEK7sAn.png

18 hours ago, officeglenn said:

Round 1 of the NHL playoffs is complete. Here's how the bracket looks now (logos and series results added):

ย 

uNn2XjG.png

This is badass! ย Next year I want to see this done with March madness hahaย 

6on7h5.jpg

THE Xtreme Fantasy Football League

4 hours ago, GeauxColonels said:

I would suggest moving the arrows to center on the team that won from the prior round instead of it centering between the teams from the prior round.

With the arrows in the center, it's easier to tell who beat whom.ย  For example, you know that the Jets beat the Wild, instead of the other adjacent team, the Golden Knights.

xglLy43.png38ekInb.png3T2CQrI.png

On 4/27/2018 at 8:13 PM, CaptainKirkMN said:

With the arrows in the center, it's easier to tell who beat whom.ย  For example, you know that the Jets beat the Wild, instead of the other adjacent team, the Golden Knights.

ย 

I disagree. The block for the team that moved on to the 2nd round spans the width of the 2 teams that paired up in the prior round.ย 

gYH2mW9.png

2018 NBA Playoffs, with the first round complete:

ย 

ePpAbCm.png

ย 

Re: arrow placement -- I placed where I did to sort of mimic the lines in a typical bracket that connect one round to the next. I wanted to have something that touched both teams in a matchup and visually guided the viewer into the next round.

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, GeauxColonels said:

Missing the games won for the Warriors/Pelicans series.

ย 

Oops.ย :blush:ย  Here's the corrected version:

ย 

maMob2z.png

Archived