Holy s***, I actually finished the entire NFL (Hand Drawn)(Falcons posted 5/9)

jn8

My first post on the forums! I've been enjoying this series. Your drawings are amazing.

Your take on the Seahawks is really great. The Mariners green looks really pretty on them; much better than the current colors. I appreciate that you kept the number font and brought back the old shoulder stripes.

My only potential suggestions are maybe also have a green pant option for the blue & white jerseys and perhaps bring back the sublimated feather pattern somewhere (maybe put it on the green alternate?)

I've also liked your new color schemes for the Chargers and Raiders for their relocations, and the Cardinals alternate.

Keep up the good work!

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, vtgco said:

My first post on the forums! I've been enjoying this series. Your drawings are amazing.

Your take on the Seahawks is really great. The Mariners green looks really pretty on them; much better than the current colors. I appreciate that you kept the number font and brought back the old shoulder stripes.

My only potential suggestions are maybe also have a green pant option for the blue & white jerseys and perhaps bring back the sublimated feather pattern somewhere (maybe put it on the green alternate?)

I've also liked your new color schemes for the Chargers and Raiders for their relocations, and the Cardinals alternate.

Keep up the good work!

First off, welcome to the forums! I’m honored you’d use your first post on my thread?

As for your suggestions, I had considered green pants in the rough draft stage, but ultimately decided against them. I don’t know why, I guess I just never felt in love with how they looked with any combination, but if it gains popularity, I’ll definitely look it over again. And the feather pattern? It’s a little much too me, so I left it off, though your idea of using it on the alternate only might be a happy medium. 

And a little more info on the series as a whole, I have quite a few teams with rough sketches in the works, just waiting on time to get them all shiny and pretty for y’all, but I’ve been struggling with one particular team: the Carolina Panthers. They were one of the teams suggested to me a while back so I feel bad for having absolutely no clue what to do with them, but it’s the truth. I’ve got nothing for them. At all. So if anybody has something to get my brain kickstarted, I would greatly appreciate you. 

So I’m still in need of help on the Panthers, so I decided I’d show what I have so far:

Wf0J9Wc.jpg

So as you can see, there are 4 helmet color ideas, 6 jersey style ideas, and a couple pants. On the 3 right side jerseys, I based the stripes on the current shoulders with points based on the pant stripes in 3 slightly different styles. The 3 jerseys on the left are the bigger changes. They have a sleeve cap colored and a single over the shoulder stripe above it. Altered the coloring on the 3 sketches, the bottom being a design without silver, though silver could be incorporated if I worked it out further. Two of the pants are just an inverted stripe coloring of the current, and one is semi-based on the shoulder cap set of jerseys. 

So is there anything to go off of? With Carolina being a relatively new team and only having one uniform in their history I’ve been struggling on them, so if any of the rough drafts are a good direction to go or if there’s something you’d like to see that I didn’t think of, let me know 

I like where this is going! Carolina had a very fascinating design history imo. I like a lot of the stuff here. For the helmet; they’d all work except for the white unless you plan on involving white more. I’d like to see how blue would work out but black and silver work more, unless you remove silver then you have the same problem as white. For the jerseys I like the alternating color per sleeve cap and stripe, or the top two left. For the pants I’d avoid white because it would be very alone in the design. But I like all the stripe options especially the far right! Can’t wait to see the final product.

Edit: you could also try UCLA type stripin but with claw marks that they’ve used in the past? I kinda just thought of it. I don’t know if it would look any good but it’s worth a shot!

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

So I’m back with another team, the New York Jets! Haven’t finalized what I want to do with Carolina, so in the meantime, the Jets have been completed. 

Logo/Colors: 

I don’t like the current logo. At all. My solution involves combining the Jet portion of the 80s logo and the NY from the current logo set to create a new logo. The colors are slightly altered to a brighter, closer to kelly, green and white. No black in the color scheme, though it was considered being added for outlines.

Helmet:

The same as the current with the new logo swapped in and the colors updated. All the decals have a more metallic finish like the color rush. 

Jerseys:

Just two, green and white. The sleeves are hard to put into words. I tried combining eras by having the two sleeve stripes like the 80s uniforms, but the top stripe extends to fill the sleeve cap like the current set. The bottom stripe extends slightly onto the chest in the shape of the jet from the logo. For the numbers, I literally Googled “Air Force jet number font” and used one of the first results. I think the font looks classy but still has enough of a modern look to it to fit the rest of the more modern uniforms. 

Pants:

Two pants, green and white. The pants are pretty plain, a two stripe design with modern elements. The back stripe is the jet from the logo, and the front stripe is cut off at the end of the jet like on the sleeves. It doesn’t make sense in words, but once you see the picture it will. 

Combinations: 

With just two jerseys and pants, combos are limited. Green over white and white over green would likely make up 80% of the games, with all white being the other 20, though all green on rare occasions isn’t disallowed. 

Since that probably made no sense or you didn’t bother to read it, I guess I can post some pictures too?

9VeadjP.jpg

4cdOYr6.jpg

So what do y’all think? As always, comments and criticisms are welcomed, so let me know your thoughts!

The idea for the Jets uniforms is quite good, but I think the logo (and thus the striping) is a bit off.

Your jet looks a lot like a spear or harpoon and not much like a jet. The wing is way too close to the nose.

I know you're trying to recreate the original, but when you lengthen the line and move it from sitting on top of the NY to in the middle, I think it loses the half-silhouette of a jet feel and just becomes a spear.

I think if you could update the logo to have both top and bottom wings, or put the jet back on top (either way, with the wings farther back) it would work better. This applies to the striping too.

Sorry to ramble. Everything else looks really good for the Jets!

I love that old Jets identity/logo, so incorporating it into the striping is just really clever! It’s something that immediately screams Jets without going too over the top. And your skills are just amazing, too! Keep them coming! 

On 6/23/2018 at 11:39 AM, vtgco said:

The idea for the Jets uniforms is quite good, but I think the logo (and thus the striping) is a bit off.

Your jet looks a lot like a spear or harpoon and not much like a jet. The wing is way too close to the nose.

I know you're trying to recreate the original, but when you lengthen the line and move it from sitting on top of the NY to in the middle, I think it loses the half-silhouette of a jet feel and just becomes a spear.

I think if you could update the logo to have both top and bottom wings, or put the jet back on top (either way, with the wings farther back) it would work better. This applies to the striping too.

Sorry to ramble. Everything else looks really good for the Jets!

Now that you mention it, I can see this as well. I personally don’t see this as too big of an issue, but I’ll still address it here: 

GJk3PCf.jpg

I tried extending the “wing” part of the silhouette further back onto the N instead of ending on the Y, so hopefully this fixes the harpoon issue. I probably won’t go back and change the uniforms for just a minor logo update, it would be a lot of work for such a minor detail, but any future images regarding the Jets will use the new logo.

13 hours ago, JTswag187 said:

I would have the pants stripe flipped so it comes out of the waistband. It kinda looks like it's stabbing the player wearing it. Everything else is great

Personally, I prefer to have my planes NOT crash nose first into the ground, but maybe that’s just me?‍♂️. Joking aside, I get where you’re coming from and that’s what I tried originally, but then it looked like it was crashing into the ground, so that’s why I had it point up.

On 6/9/2018 at 6:30 PM, jn8 said:

T5Nz4Ox.jpg

Time to update this list, with the Jets also needing white socks:

AXZG9oR.jpg

Tried to get a lil fancy with the top stripe, hopefully y’all like it!

• 1 month later...

Sup y’all?

Aj7HRNp.gif

So it’s been a minute since I’ve been here. I’ve had work, coaching my little brother’s baseball team, my own baseball workouts, family vacations, and several other projects all keeping me plenty busy over the past month and, unfortunately, my time has been taken away from here, but after some persistence, the next team is finally complete. 

As those of you who have been following this may know, I had some sketches for Carolina, but hadn’t finished anything:

On 6/14/2018 at 4:53 PM, jn8 said:

So I’m still in need of help on the Panthers, so I decided I’d show what I have so far:

Wf0J9Wc.jpg

So as you can see, there are 4 helmet color ideas, 6 jersey style ideas, and a couple pants. On the 3 right side jerseys, I based the stripes on the current shoulders with points based on the pant stripes in 3 slightly different styles. The 3 jerseys on the left are the bigger changes. They have a sleeve cap colored and a single over the shoulder stripe above it. Altered the coloring on the 3 sketches, the bottom being a design without silver, though silver could be incorporated if I worked it out further. Two of the pants are just an inverted stripe coloring of the current, and one is semi-based on the shoulder cap set of jerseys. 

Well now I’ve finished them and here they are:

Helmet:

High gloss black finish with a blue facemask. The logo is a little oversized, but I feel they can pull it off. The center stripe is from the pants. 

Jerseys:

Black, blue, white. A slight evolution of the current design, I chose to keep the over the shoulder stripe, but taper it to a point in front and back (like Houston) and remove the outline of it, and filling in the sleeve cap. For the font, I don’t like how the wordmark font translates to numbers and anything I tried seemed to cliché (claw marks and the like), so I kept a traditional block font. 

Pants:

Just two pairs, silver and black, both with the current stripes. Not really a fan of the white or blue pants they have, so I dropped them. 

Socks:

Very unique socks here. Three pairs, black, blue, and white, all with the jersey stripes, which creates a split colored sock for the blue and black pairs. Not making sense? Good thing I have pictures 

Combinations:

No limitations on pants and jersey combinations, but socks are strict. Socks will always be the same color as the jerseys to have stripe continuity with ONE exception: the black jerseys-black pants combination that must be worn with blue socks—don’t need to overdo the black. 

I guess you’ll be wanting to see pictures now, so here:

5Mb3ZqS.jpg

wGi5G8N.jpg

7lmm6z2.jpg

Thoughts?

Oh my god these look amazing. I love the sleeve numbers and the black helmet with the oversized logo! That blue/black pants combo is something I need to see in real life. Excellent work!

the user formerly known as cdclt

Archived