A rant about the Seattle SuperSonics

Luingus221

15 minutes ago, LMU said:

The problem with the NBA right now is that there are very few teams in markets that have arena/market situations that are at the point where relocation is necessary.

The most likely scenario, despite all the public statements to the contrary, would be if the Clippers' Inglewood arena gets torpedoed by MSG's lawsuit and Ballmer decides to move the team home, especially with the current rebuilt in the post Paul/Blake era and with the Lakers on an upswing.

The Pelicans may be another possibility with the post-Katrina market size and the remaining to be seen fallout from Benson's death.

A third, less likely scenario would possibly be Phoenix if the replacement to Talking Stick doesn't get figured out and if the on-court product continues to flounder.

Sacramento has a new arena.  Milwaukee's about to open a new arena.  Scratch off those two.

So, if you go the expansion route, who else goes in to even out the schedule?  Las Vegas (they have a WNBA team now)?  Kansas City/Louisville (with direct NCAA competition)? St. Louis (with an aging arena in a town that lost two NFL teams)?  Tampa?  Pittsburgh?  San Diego (with no arena in sight)?  

Pittsburgh is the most likely for an expansion team (16 teams each conference).  

would love the NBA to bring this back:

Condors%2071-72%20Home%20Jersey%20Walt%20Sczerbiak_small.jpg

so long and thanks for all the fish.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can see the Clippers going if a new arena in Inglewood falls through. I'm in the belief that the NBA should be one city. One team. Yeah New York & Los Angeles have the population to support 2 teams but people just will never care about the Nets & Clippers like they do the Knicks & Lakers. 

32 minutes ago, LMU said:

The most likely scenario, despite all the public statements to the contrary, would be if the Clippers' Inglewood arena gets torpedoed by MSG's lawsuit

Whoa damn this is really happening, and from how things went down it sounds like Inglewood was, once again, up to no good!

There are no expansion destinations for the NBA. I've said before that the NBA requires the least of its markets, but this is already a league where two-thirds of its teams are perennially irrelevant. Why add more? There's nowhere left to go but Seattle, and the only weak market is New Orleans.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The NBA has done just fine for many years with an odd number of teams.  Adding two "to even things out" isn't a reasonable argument.

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

3 hours ago, goalieboy82 said:

Pittsburgh is the most likely for an expansion team (16 teams each conference).  

Could you provide any evidence that 1) any prospective owner wants to have a team there, and 2) it's even considered a viable option?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The NBA isn’t going to expand to Pittsburgh, there’s no incentive to add a team there. The best chance of bringing back the Sonics in a relatively short amount of time is that the Mexico City G-League team is a huge success and the NBA decides to tap into that market, and even that brings up huge issues.

07Giants.pngnyy.png

Your "second" expansion city is... drumroll please...

Louisville, Kentucky.  You revive the Kentucky Colonels.

The area is basketball bats***, and would be the only pro sports team in the city (a la Oklahoma City).  Not a huge market, but the guy who holds all the Super Middleweight belts at the same time makes more money than the guy who only holds the IBF strap at Light Heavyweight a lot of the time.

nav-logo.png

13 minutes ago, Mac the Knife said:

The area is basketball bats***, and would be the only pro sports team in the city (a la Oklahoma City).  Not a huge market, but the guy who holds all the Super Middleweight belts at the same time makes more money than the guy who only holds the IBF strap at Light Heavyweight a lot of the time.

That’d work assuming that the NCAA scandal cripples the Cardinals for a couple decades.

VmWIn6B.png

1 hour ago, Mac the Knife said:

Only if they renovate Freedom Hall. The university controls not only the suites and premium seating, they also control advertising and signage. They keep 88% of suite rental revenue and half of total net revenues from parking, concessions, catering and program ads for non-school events.

Last year, U of L agreed to release 20 fall event dates back to the arena authority and pay an additional $2.5M in rent to assist with the debt, but they were volleyball dates.

Where's the talent for more teams? NBA fans crap their pants if their teams draft outside the top five because there's apparently no talent left to draft here in like the second-most popular sport on the planet.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

5 hours ago, dfwabel said:

Only if they renovate Freedom Hall. The university controls not only the suites and premium seating, they also control advertising and signage. They keep 88% of suite rental revenue and half of total net revenues from parking, concessions, catering and program ads for non-school events.

Last year, U of L agreed to release 20 fall event dates back to the arena authority and pay an additional $2.5M in rent to assist with the debt, but they were volleyball dates.

If the NBA expanded to Louisville, they'd build a new facility.  They'd really have no choice.

5 hours ago, the admiral said:

Where's the talent for more teams? NBA fans crap their pants if their teams draft outside the top five because there's apparently no talent left to draft here in like the second-most popular sport on the planet.

The past generation or two has become far too fixated on the 'star system' mentality in the NBA, looking for a Lebron when they should be worrying about how the entire team performs.  The 70's may have had its Julius Ervings and Moses Malones, but fans understood it was a team game.  The Washington Bullets won a title during the late 70's.  Can you name more than two players from that squad without looking it up?

nav-logo.png

“Team sports” are boring. That’s what high school is for. Role players don’t sell tickets. How you win is as important as winning itself.  Dazzle me. Shock me. Talk trash.   

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 hours ago, Mac the Knife said:

If the NBA expanded to Louisville, they'd build a new facility.  They'd really have no choice.

They ( the city) cannot afford a third venue. The Yum! Center is not even eight years old but and refinanced it less than ten months ago and  owe $400 million on it. Their bond rating cannot handle it.

Freedom Hall sits on state land, so if the state decides to pay for it, they'll have to also face pressure from Lexington to replace Rupp Arena too.

15 hours ago, LMU said:

So, if you go the expansion route, who else goes in to even out the schedule?  Las Vegas (they have a WNBA team now)?  Kansas City/Louisville (with direct NCAA competition)? St. Louis (with an aging arena in a town that lost two NFL teams)?  Tampa?  Pittsburgh?  San Diego (with no arena in sight)?  

The NBA schedule doesn't require an even amount of teams. From 1980-2004 they played with an odd number of teams and nobody was any worse off for it.

15 hours ago, Wings said:

I can see the Clippers going if a new arena in Inglewood falls through. I'm in the belief that the NBA should be one city. One team. Yeah New York & Los Angeles have the population to support 2 teams but people just will never care about the Nets & Clippers like they do the Knicks & Lakers. 

The Clippers are better off as second fiddle in LA than they would be anywhere else, Seattle included. The lack of historical support for the Nets and Clippers is due to them being two of the most worthless, inept franchises in the history of sports. If the team isn't an embarrassment and their arena is somewhat conveniently located (i.e. not in East ****ing Rutherford, NJ), people will come out.

GUYS, the OP ranted about not putting Seattle in your NBA expansion lists because of the inevitably of Seattle expansion and all you're doing is talking about Seattle expansion. KNOCK IT OFF!!!@#Q#!!!

19 hours ago, smzimbabwe said:

The Sonics are not coming back. Unless you've heard that Ok City is moving. The NBA may be coming back, and they may name the team "SuperSonics" but the original team is in Ok City and from what I've heard, they're not moving back. (Sorry, pet peeve of mine, like people who claim the Browns history includes Jim Brown and Brian Sipe, though the team they played for is now the Baltimore Ravens)

An NBA basketball team called the Supersonics will play again in Seattle even if the records should rightfully belong to Oklahoma so while the actual Gary Payton/Shawn Kemp/79 champ SONICS aren't literally coming back we all know what people mean when they say the Sonics are coming back. It's faster to type and that's how everyone in Seattle will feel. My pet peeve is when people get pedantic about sports franchise lineage when everyone knows what everyone actually means. 

Also I wouldn't be surprised if the league that perpetrated the Hornets-Pelicans-Bobcats fukkkkiness did a similar record goof around with the Sonics and Thunder. It doesn't seem like OKC fans want the history anyway.  

PvO6ZWJ.png

1 hour ago, McCarthy said:

GUYS, the OP ranted about not putting Seattle in your NBA expansion lists because of the inevitably of Seattle expansion and all you're doing is talking about Seattle expansion. KNOCK IT OFF!!!@#Q#!!!

An NBA basketball team called the Supersonics will play again in Seattle even if the records should rightfully belong to Oklahoma so while the actual Gary Payton/Shawn Kemp/79 champ SONICS aren't literally coming back we all know what people mean when they say the Sonics are coming back. It's faster to type and that's how everyone in Seattle will feel. My pet peeve is when people get pedantic about sports franchise lineage when everyone knows what everyone actually means. 

Also I wouldn't be surprised if the league that perpetrated the Hornets-Pelicans-Bobcats fukkkkiness did a similar record goof around with the Sonics and Thunder. It doesn't seem like OKC fans want the history anyway.  

I don't know if we want to have the franchise lineage argument again.  I think I know where anyone who ever posted about that stands.  But with no commentary about it, I suspect that the team will be called the Supersonics and will be recognized as the team that won the 1979 title.  Given the Charlotte/New Orleans scenario, Seattle's affinity for the Sonics, and OKC's lackthereof, I can't imagine it going any other way.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

5 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

I don't know if we want to have the franchise lineage argument again.  I think I know where anyone who ever posted about that stands.  But with no commentary about it, I suspect that the team will be called the Supersonics and will be recognized as the team that won the 1979 title.  Given the Charlotte/New Orleans scenario, Seattle's affinity for the Sonics, and OKC's lackthereof, I can't imagine it going any other way.

I'm not trying to have the franchise lineage argument again. If they give the sonics/thunder records to the nu-sonics that would be revisionism after the fact and that's always been my main gripe. The browns were never revised because that was the deal when they moved. I'm trying to have the argument that when someone says "the sonics are coming back" everyone knows what they're really saying and it's weeny to "well actually" that. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Archived