Where are my D3 Football fans at!?!?!?

If you're from Southeast Ohio, a fan of OAC Football, and listened to an OAC game on WMCO or OrbitMediaOnline.com (shameless plug), There's about a good chance you heard me calling a game for the Muskingum Muskies last fall as either play-by-play or color commentator.

As part of my senior capstone project for my Digital Media Design major last semester at Muskingum, I came up with a redesign of Muskingum University athletics. It was a lot of fun working on it and decided recently to redesign the rest of the OAC's primary logos and their football uniforms as well as the conference logo itself. I'll start by posting all 10 new primary logos followed by home, road, and alternate uniforms.

Without further ado, let's kick things off with a double-dose of logos, starting with...

OHIO NORTHERN POLAR BEARS

• Location - Ada, OH
  • Affiliation - United Methodist
  • Est. Undergrad - 2,900 (2017)
  • 2017 Record - 7-3 (6-3 OAC)
  • 4 NCAA Sweet Sixteen Appearances ('99, '00, '10, '15)
  • Mascot Name - Klondike

Fun fact: ONU is actually the 5th-most northern school in the conference, behind Mount, Baldwin Wallace, JCU, and the Berg.

Ohio Northern is a team that typically finishes within the top half of the OAC every year, yet is still a middle-of-the-pack team. 2017 was a little different, however, thanks to an off-year for John Carroll, as the Polar Bears finished with a respectable 7-3 record in the OAC.

Original Logo:

HLGOqv4.png

ONU's current primary logo isn't bad upon first glance, but the beveled numbers and excessive detail in the bear's face brings down the overall quality, especially at small sizes.

Concept Logo:

L9iUHGg.png

A quick cleanup is all that's needed for ol' Klondike here. I eliminated the shadows while emphasizing some of the detail in the fur and making his eye a little bigger. The more noticeable change is the "ONU" font to a more traditional block font and making it italicized. This helps give the logo a bit of motion, which will look great on the side of a football helmet.

OTTERBEIN CARDINALS

• Location - Westerville, OH
  • Affiliation - United Methodist
  • Est. Undergrad - 2,342 (2014)
  • 2017 Record - 6-4 (5-4 OAC)
  • Mascot Name - Cardy the Cardinal

Otterbein is a true middle-of-the-pack team, usually no better than 6-4 but no worse than 4-6 in the past few years. They're just kinda... there. They do have a beautiful campus just northwest of Columbus so they've got that going for them. On paper, Otterbein has had one of the best offensive units in the conference thanks in part to great QB play and WR threats each week. However, stats don't always equal success, but it's kind of hard with Mount Union being the conference champ for the better part of the last 25+ years.

Original Logo:

d1xSzUv.png

So I think I found the Cleveland Browns' inspiration for the "upshadow"... In all seriousness, the current logo isn't bad, but it's severely underused. Instead, the team uses an Oregon ripoff with a red O on a white helmet. It's a shame, because even for an alternate helmet, this would be a great helmet logo. But this is D3 Football, so they'll take whatever they can get their hands on, even if it comes from a catalog or *shudders* Wilson.

Concept Logo:

l63fDEB.png

The new logo takes the happy-go-lucky cardinal from the... 70s? 80s?... and gives him a fearless attitude. Although a walking cardinal would probably be cool for an actual primary logo, in regards to football, the cardinal head seemed like the best route (think Louisville, Arizona Cardinals, etc). The cardinal is now brought into the 21st century with consistent line widths and a more aggressive attitude, but not too aggressive to scare young children.

---------

Let me know what you guys think! It's been awhile since I've done a concept series of any kind and only the second that it isn't a crossover series. Next up: Capital.

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

Can't wait to see what you do for Mount Union. The sword and word mark is fine for a helmet logo but they need so much more for that nickname to work than the old New York Giants style helmet logos. I almost think that cardinal is getting ready to whistle though, rather than take the field. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

12 minutes ago, panthers_2012 said:

This is what happens when I don't read the original post. @mr.nascar13 you went to Muskingum?!? I love it when BW plays the Fighting Muskies!! They're my second favorite team in the OAC (behind my Alma Mater BW of course).

Heck yeah! Just graduated in December and am about to attend graduation in a couple weeks! I was the sideline reporter for last season's homecoming game against BW, which I still think we should've won :P The only game I didn't call was our loss at Mount Union because I was in San Antonio for a conference that weekend. Probably a good thing, because they stomped us (but who doesn't get stomped by Mount?)

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

2 hours ago, mr.nascar13 said:

Heck yeah! Just graduated in December and am about to attend graduation in a couple weeks! I was the sideline reporter for last season's homecoming game against BW, which I still think we should've won :P The only game I didn't call was our loss at Mount Union because I was in San Antonio for a conference that weekend. Probably a good thing, because they stomped us (but who doesn't get stomped by Mount?)

Hey we won that game fair and square. I was actually at that game as a member of the alumni band. And I agree with your, no one likes getting stopped by Mount... Congrats on graduation!

spacer.png

jCMXRTJ.png.c7b9b888fd36f93c327929ec580f08dc.png

1 hour ago, panthers_2012 said:

Hey we won that game fair and square. I was actually at that game as a member of the alumni band. And I agree with your, no one likes getting stopped by Mount... Congrats on graduation!

Thank you! And no doubt you guys won it fair and square, we just had it slip right through our hands. Luckily, the boys in Muskie-ville have a new head coach for next season, so it'll be interesting to see what happens. We had the talent but none of the luck (should've beat ONU, Cap, & maybe Otterbein but that's for another day). 

You never see too many D3 concepts on the boards, so this thread is a much welcomed addition to the forum! I love the start you have here, both logos look great right out of the gate.

Side note: my dad went to ONU, which is a connection that I never would have thought I would have on this forum. 

Keep up the great work

spacer.png

11 hours ago, mr.nascar13 said:

Otterbein student here.  Never would have expected to see OAC concepts on these boards.  For Otterbein, I agree it is stupid how we use the O on our helmets, but the current cardinal just wouldn't work on a football helmet.  Your update fixes that problem, and looks really good.  If it was me, I would have the eyes facing forward, but I don't think it particularly looks bad with them facing back.

StLouisCardinals.png

CowboysClassic_zpsb3d9923d.png

#9 LSU vs. TCU

3 hours ago, buckeye said:

I grew up about 10 minutes or so from ONU and my Fiance is a Muskie Alumni, class of '13! Great work so far, love me some OAC.

Thanks, and that's awesome about your fiance being a Muskie!

I really appreciate the response from my fellow OAC alumni about this series. I will say, there may not be MAJOR changes other than Wilimington and, to an extent, Muskingum, as most of the changes will be seen in the uniforms.

10 hours ago, St Louis Cardinals said:

Otterbein student here.  Never would have expected to see OAC concepts on these boards.  For Otterbein, I agree it is stupid how we use the O on our helmets, but the current cardinal just wouldn't work on a football helmet.  Your update fixes that problem, and looks really good.  If it was me, I would have the eyes facing forward, but I don't think it particularly looks bad with them facing back.

Thanks for the feedback! I'll look at the eyes again. They're always the hardest part of any logo, and I would be lying if I said they eyes for Cardy didn't give me fits. I'll see how it looks facing forward!

Let's keep things rolling with Otterbein's crosstown rival...

CAPITAL CRUSADERS

• Location - Bexley, OH
  • Affiliation - Evangelical Lutheran Church
  • Est. Undergrad - 2,718 (2016)
  • 2017 Record - 1-9 (1-8 OAC)

Capital has been in the basement of the OAC for the last few seasons, but usually ahead of Muskingum and Wilmington in the standings. 2017 was a little different, however, as the Crusaders limped there way to a 1-9 overall record, with their lone win coming in Week 3 at home against the Muskies (Frustrating game for MU, but I got free Jet's Pizza and Chick-Fil-A so it's all good).

Original Logo:

OpRe5JR.png

The logo isn't BAD, but it could definitely use some cleaning up. My biggest issue with the Crusaders is the inconsistency. Here, we see the helmet in gray, presumably outlined in white, on a purple C. However, look at this photo from this past season's uniforms:

a6hSEgB.png

Instead of a gray helmet outlined in white, we have a white helmet outlined in purple. Also, there's no gray in the (catalog) uniform either, so there isn't much to separate them aesthetically from Mount Union. Something has got to give.

New Logo:

taC4Cbf.png

I went the Michigan State route and focused on the helmet while dropping the C. It seemed too high-school-ish and the helmet shape is unique enough to Capital to stand on its own. I dropped silver from the identity altogether since it is rarely used in the athletic department's identity, if ever. The primary would simply be an inverted version of the pic posted, with a purple helmet on a white background.

Up Next, we'll travel to Tiffin and visit THE BERG.

Dang that's a great logo for the Crusaders, and the way you nested the U and the N for Ohio Northern looks really good. 

Fellow D3er here from Minnesota, Macalester '16.  Always nice to see something different on the boards, especially smaller schools like this!  Looking forward to seeing what else you come up with for the OAC

7 hours ago, BellaSpurs said:

Could we possibly see unis as well?

Uniforms will be posted following all 10 logos. The logos are easier to get out of the way since I have something to work with on each team.

However, every uniform in the OAC is a catalog order, sometimes featuring a mismatch of manufacturers. For this series, I'll use Nike since that's the template I have available. The uniforms will take a little more time than the logos except for Muskingum, since I've actually had their's done since December as part of my senior capstone project. 

EDIT: I should also mention posts will likly be few and far between at times. I am walking in my graduation ceremony two weeks from today, as well as moving on my own for the first time ever a week later, starting a new job in Cookeville, TN. Until then, I'm working at a resort where I typically work afternoons and evenings, killing a good portion of my free time. In other words, life is in full swing!

I had enough time today to crank out the next team in the series!

HEIDELBERG STUDENT PRINCES

• Location - Tiffin, OH
  • Affiliation - United Church of Christ
  • Est. Undergrad - 1,300 (N/A)
  • 2017 Record - 7-3 (6-3 OAC)

Fun fact - Muskingum University's current and soon-to-be retired athletic director, "Coach" Larry Shank, was originally at Heidelberg where he coached football and wrestling before coming to Muskingum about 16-17 years ago, so thanks Heidelberg!

The Student Princes' football team has been in the top half of the OAC for the better part of the last couple years, typically finishing around 3rd or 4th behind Mount Union and JCU. With JCU's down year in 2017, The Berg finished 7-3 in 2017, earning them a second-place finish in the OAC behind eventual national champion Mount. Heidelberg hasn't always been in the top half of the league, however, as they were once one of the bottom dwellers of the conference before a coaching change catapulted them to the top half about five years ago.

Current Logo(s) :

51376.jpg

The Student Princes have one of the most unique names in all of sports, but that doesn't mean it's good, IMHO. It just doesn't roll off the tongue very well, and secludes womens athletics too (Student Princesses? Doesn't sound threatening for sports). One of my biggest gripes about the team's identity has to be the primary logo, seen here:

Heidelberg-Student-Prince-Logo-courtesy-of-HC.jpg

Why does it cut off like that? I've seen a version with a STUDENT PRINCE wordmark below it, but this version just gets cut off and looks bad. For this redesign, I decided to focus on the knight head logo and use it as the primary. The cape and top of the helmet (feathers?) have always bugged me, as the prince looks one way but the rest of the logo flows the opposite direction.

New Logo:

M2w5jeL.png

The Feathers(?) and cape have been modified to look more like a tuft and cape and not a blurring streak across the prince's head and chest. I also fixed the line work by making it consistent as well as the eye holes in the helmet to give a more aggressive appearance.

----------

Up next, we're heading south to 2017's surprise team and Muskingum's rival, the Marietta Pioneers!

No comments on Heidelberg? Alrighty. Up Next:

MARIETTA PIONEERS

• Location - Marietta, OH
  • Est. Undergrad - 1,200
  • 2017 Record - 6-4 (5-4 OAC)

Marietta College isn't really known for their football program. If you know anything about the "Pios", the first thing you probably think of is their stellar baseball program, winning six national titles at the D3 level. In recent years, their basketball program has made a name for themselves as one of the best, winning about 20 games a year.

Football has been a different story, as the team typically finishes in the basement of the OAC with Wilmington and Muskingum. Last fall was a different story, however, as a new coaching staff and strong performances from experienced upperclassmen helped the Pioneers bring home a respectable 6-4 2017 campaign.

Original Logo:

mc_brand_guide_pioneer_head_logo.png

There's a lot going on with the current Pioneers' logo; Shaky double outlines (triple if you count a white OL on dark backgrounds), awkwardly-shaped mouth and chin line, cheekbone shading making him look malnourished... it's too much. The full logo isn't much better:

mc_brand_guide_pioneers_with_mascot.png

The lettering is awful (That P... ugh), the hands look awkward, the double outline doesn't help anything, and that rifle.... It's just a stretched-out trapezoid. Boom. Now you can't unsee it.

Concept Logo:

vDsqCht.png

I took some cues from the New England Patriots since the Pioneers' logo is made in a similar style, but I believe it fixes a lot of the issues with the logo. The perspective of the full logo bugs me since his body is facing forward yet his head is a profile shot. Adding the collar in my design helps fix the perspective issue and helps give a better cutoff for the head. I fixed the mouth while simplifying the shading and detail in the face as well.
--------------------

Up next: We head back up north to University Heights to see the Blue Streaks of John Carroll. Comments are always welcome!

Decided to take advantage of my time off these last couple days to make not only John Carroll, but Mount Union too! It's an OAC Powerhouse Double-Dip!

JOHN CARROLL BLUE STREAKS

For some in the OAC, a 6-4 (6-3 OAC) season record would be like winning the Super Bowl. But for the folks in University Heights, it's the exact opposite.

In 2016, John Carroll made national headlines, defeating the #1-ranked Purple Raiders 31-28, becoming the first team other than Mount to win the OAC since the 1994 Blue Streaks squad. What's better is the win ended Mount's 112-game regular-season winning streak, dating back to 2005. The victory was also JCU's first win over Mount since 1989. And after a final four appearance that season, things were looking up for the Blue Streaks. However, after a home loss to Wisconsin-Oshkosh and a blowout loss to Heidelberg in Week 3, the Blue Streaks quickly fell out of the Top 25 D3 poll following a 1-2 start to the 2017 season. Despite the disappointing season, it won't take long for JCU to regain their footing and become a threat at the top of the OAC again.

Original Logo:

jcu1.jpg

The logo just looks... amateur? I don't really know how else to describe it. Something small you may not have noticed with this logo is the outline at the top of the U. why is there a slight dip in the outline? Why not make it one solid piece? The bolt covering the JCU also doesn't sit well with me and neither does the font. The colors are also a bit of an issue, as the Blue Streaks use more of a navy and millennium gold (or whatever the Rams called it) in their uniforms, rather than the royal and bronze in the logo.

Concept logo:

bdqovjC.png

Kept the "streak" blue (obviously), but modified it slightly as well as lightened the gold for better contrast. Speaking of, I added white to the lettering and brought it to the 21st Century with a new font.

------------------------------------

MOUNT UNION PURPLE RAIDERS

About 99% of Mount Union graduates over the last 25 years do not know what it's like to see an OAC trophy come back to Ada after their annual bout with the Blue Streaks. Just think of that.

What else can you say about the Purple Raiders? Not many programs can say they've won 112 games in a row, and 127 of the last 128. That's absurd.

Current Logo(s) :

mount-union-win-streak-snapped.jpg

mount-union-raiders_color_3.jpg

So there seems to be no primary logo for the Purple Raiders, just by looking at them. Social Media uses both the Giants-esque script and the script-over-sword logos, so it's hard to tell which is official. I will say this, though... that helmet sticker may make an appearance on the uniforms. For the sake of this series, I decided to use the bottom image as a reference since it does have more character than a Giants ripoff.

Concept Logo:

hZpVLjU.png

Using a design similar to the original sword, I combined it with the stylized "R" from the "Raiders" script. I have an alternate version ready that may be a little more visible, using a white R and sword on a purple backdrop. Just seemed like a simple fix.

--------------------------

C+C is appreciated as always! Next we head to Berea to take a gander at the Baldwin Wallace Yellow Jackets!

Archived