Recommended Posts

With John Carrol, you maybe could have run the streak through the letters. Kind of how the Chargers old wordmarkhad that low break.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really like Mount Union's updated logo! Can't wait to see my Alma Mater Yellow Jackets update!! AWWWJACKETS!!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Howdy y'all! Graduation is done, the parties are over, and I'm back in Knoxville before moving to my new apartment in Cookeville on Thursday. Oh, and I start my new job in one week. Lots of exciting stuff, but the show goes on after a short hiatus!

 

Baldwin Wallace is not officially done, but I did want to share a sketch as Mr. Yellow Jacket may look a little different from his previously buff self and may be looking  a little more natural before too long:

 

nBBhwwj.png

 

Hoping to have Baldwin Wallace up either tonight or tomorrow. I am in a bit of a slump with Wilmington's logo, so I may post my alma mater Muskingum after BW. I am also starting on some uniforms as well, so be on the lookout for them as well!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, mr.nascar13 said:

Howdy y'all! Graduation is done, the parties are over, and I'm back in Knoxville before moving to my new apartment in Cookeville on Thursday. Oh, and I start my new job in one week. Lots of exciting stuff, but the show goes on after a short hiatus!

 

Baldwin Wallace is not officially done, but I did want to share a sketch as Mr. Yellow Jacket may look a little different from his previously buff self and may be looking  a little more natural before too long:

 

nBBhwwj.png

 

Hoping to have Baldwin Wallace up either tonight or tomorrow. I am in a bit of a slump with Wilmington's logo, so I may post my alma mater Muskingum after BW. I am also starting on some uniforms as well, so be on the lookout for them as well!

If you want it more realistic, yellow jackets have 6 legs. I had a biology professor all over the BW logo because it only has 2 "legs"(actually hands). I love the design and I can't wait to see the finish product!! AWWWJACKETS!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, panthers_2012 said:

If you want it more realistic, yellow jackets have 6 legs. I had a biology professor all over the BW logo because it only has 2 "legs"(actually hands). I love the design and I can't wait to see the finish product!! AWWWJACKETS!!!

LOL I figured someone would make the "Yeah but SIX LEGS" comment :lol: All kidding aside, I'm glad you like the design! I tried six legs but adding them cluttered the midsection, which is why you don't see too many six-legged hornet/bee/wasp/yellow jacket logos. There's some, but when in this specific pose (think GT), there aren't many.

 

Besides, I think your old professor should be more concerned about the yellow jacket having human legs and teeth :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BALDWIN WALLACE YELLOW JACKETS

 

With the exception of 2016, The Baldwin Wallace Yellow Jackets are typically found in the top half of the OAC. After a disappointing 3-7 2016 season which came a year after a 7-3 2015 campaign, BW ended 2017 with a 6-4 record, including a late-season victory over Heidelberg and a close 23-20 victory at Muskingum a few weeks before. BW is one of the better home teams in the conference, going 4-1 in Berea last season. With Dual-Threat QB Jake Hudson entering his senior season with an experienced receiving core, the Yellow Jackets have a chance to make some noise in 2018.

 

Original Logo:

Untitled1_sr.jpg

I have to say, BW has one of my favorite logos in the conference. My biggest gripes are the color scheme and, later on, the uniforms, but that's because of the color scheme. Black AND brown? Huh uh. I also am not a huge fan of the half-human, half-yellow jacket concept, so we're going to go a little more natural as seen in the teaser sketch above.

 

Concept Logo:

2EKFHTn.png

The Yellow Jackets use both black and brown in their identity, so I decided to find a happy medium and use dark brown. Not much changes between this and the original sketch other than a slight perspective adjustment. I changed the mouth to resemble a real yellow jacket, changed the arms to be more insect-like, and threw in a second pair for good measure.

 

Up next, we'll wipe our feat on the doormat of OAC Football, the Wilmington Quakers!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, mr.nascar13 said:

LOL I figured someone would make the "Yeah but SIX LEGS" comment :lol: All kidding aside, I'm glad you like the design! I tried six legs but adding them cluttered the midsection, which is why you don't see too many six-legged hornet/bee/wasp/yellow jacket logos. There's some, but when in this specific pose (think GT), there aren't many.

 

Besides, I think your old professor should be more concerned about the yellow jacket having human legs and teeth :lol:

That what I thought too work my professor!! The update looks fantastic!! Fun fact, I actually have class with the QB at BW. Can't wait to see what you do with Wilmington.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, panthers_2012 said:

That what I thought too work my professor!! The update looks fantastic!! Fun fact, I actually have class with the QB at BW. Can't wait to see what you do with Wilmington.

Glad you like it! I've honestly been struggling with Wilmington. All I know is I need something different than their current:

1530817_b5ec4844103147d1b99613bde461c245

The meaning behind it, apparently, is that it's a hand, representing Wilmington's hands-on learning environment. The idea  isn't bad, but the execution is off. If it is in fact a hand, then the C is made of the thumb and pinkie, which  throws off the whole perspective.

 

It looks like a certain meme...

 

7fd.jpg

HA! YOU LOOKED!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wrapping up the first half of this series with BOTH Wilmington AND my Muskingum Muskies!

 

WILMINGTON QUAKERS

 

Ya wanna know how bad Wilmington football is? Mount Union has more wins in the past two seasons (27) than Wilmington has in the past SIXTEEN (24). That's right. Wilmington is a combined 24-136 since 2002. In 2013, the college unveiled a new logo to create a consistent look across the board. Since then, they are 3-47. The rebrand came early in the team's 23-game losing streak between 2012-2014, which included two 0-10 seasons. Once the streak was broken with a week one win in 2015, it was reactivated, as the Quakers then went on a 19-game losing streak.

 

2017 actually looked promising, as the Quakers not only got their first win in 20 games, but started the season 2-1 with a week three victory over a struggling Capital squad. However, their winning ways wouldn't last, as the team ended the year on a seven-game skid, including a 41-7 loss in the season finale against Muskingum. With a newer, younger coaching squad having one year under their belts, the Quakers look to right the ship and muster up more than two wins for the first time since 2008.

 

The Quakers have a unique double-green color scheme that they seem to utilize pretty well across their campus and branding. However, I have several issues with the logo outlined in the previous post: It doesn't look like a hand, the W isn't clear and looks like a wing, and emphasized the C for College much more than the W for Wilmington. And with the return and quick, satisfying death of the "circle game" meme, it creates some unwanted comparisons.

 

CONCEPT LOGO:

mSW5JK1.png

PlasPYo.png

The new logo takes inspiration from the pre-rebrand Quakers identity, which used a QUAKERS scrip over a dark green block W. However, I wanted to keep the unique double green color scheme, so I made the primary W lime with the dark outline. The Quakers don't need to be fancy, especially in their current state. This return to a simpler time may be what the team needs to get at least to the middle of the pack and not 10 feet below the basement.

 

--------------

MUSKINGUM FIGHTING MUSKIES

AAAALLLLL HAIL MUSKIIIIIIIINGUUUUM, GLORRRRIOUS ALMA MATERRRRRR... THYYYYYY LOYAL CHILLLLLDREN, COMMMMMMMME TO DO THEE HOOOONNNOORRRR

 

Muskingum was the best two years of my life. I met my closest friends who are like family to me. Without it and my time in the Communication, Media, and Theatre Department, I wouldn't have landed my dream job. I got the chance to call football games live on-air last fall, calling both victories in Week 1 and 10. It was frustrating to watch at times, yes.

 

This team was like watching a roller coaster last fall:

- A freshman, dual-threat QB who turned the ball over constantly

- Two of the best receivers/play-makers in the OAC who did what they could to make plays

- An impressive yet inexperienced LB-turned-RB who was injured early in the year

- An experienced and explosive defensive front line

- And a young, chippy, yet surprisingly secondary.

 

Turnovers and coaching errors were what broke the team, as performance wasn't necessarily issue. The team easily could've been 6-4, as they almost came back against Otterbein, led early vs. Capital, had a last-second TD scored against them vs ONU, and above all, questionable choices late against BW in their homecoming game. After 14 seasons of mediocrity in the OAC, Coach Al Logan stepped away from Muskingum in late November, while Athletic Director Larry Shank announced his retirement just days prior.

 

ORIGINAL LOGO:

bstr1t5whc98fb90.png

Muskingum University is one of the only schools in the United States to use magenta as a primary color. So of course, athletics decided to go with red who-knows-how-many years ago. I've been told by the Athletic Communication office this specific logo was only created about 15-16 years ago. From the looks of it, I would've guessed 25 at least. A magenta version is used across campus and some marketing platforms through the Admissions Offices, but it is not official... Time to change that.

 

CONCEPT LOGO:

T6eRsQj.png

This is the result of my Senior Capstone project last fall. After many discussions with folks in marketing, athletics, admissions, student involvement, students & athletes, and my academic advisor, this was the resulting design. The current layout is loved and recognizable across campus, so moving away from it wouldn't be right. Magenta is a unique color to the sports world and Muskingum should use it. The school's previous president Anne C. Steele stated in her first speech in 2000 that students who attend Muskingum are a part of the "long magenta line," which has been used by the University in every way, shape, and form ever since. Expect the "LML" to have a big presence in the uniform designs.

 

Up Next: The Uniforms of the OAC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, mr.nascar13 said:

Wrapping up the first half of this series with BOTH Wilmington AND my Muskingum Muskies!

 

WILMINGTON QUAKERS

 

Ya wanna know how bad Wilmington football is? Mount Union has more wins in the past two seasons (27) than Wilmington has in the past SIXTEEN (24). That's right. Wilmington is a combined 24-136 since 2002. In 2013, the college unveiled a new logo to create a consistent look across the board. Since then, they are 3-47. The rebrand came early in the team's 23-game losing streak between 2012-2014, which included two 0-10 seasons. Once the streak was broken with a week one win in 2015, it was reactivated, as the Quakers then went on a 19-game losing streak.

 

2017 actually looked promising, as the Quakers not only got their first win in 20 games, but started the season 2-1 with a week three victory over a struggling Capital squad. However, their winning ways wouldn't last, as the team ended the year on a seven-game skid, including a 41-7 loss in the season finale against Muskingum. With a newer, younger coaching squad having one year under their belts, the Quakers look to right the ship and muster up more than two wins for the first time since 2008.

 

The Quakers have a unique double-green color scheme that they seem to utilize pretty well across their campus and branding. However, I have several issues with the logo outlined in the previous post: It doesn't look like a hand, the W isn't clear and looks like a wing, and emphasized the C for College much more than the W for Wilmington. And with the return and quick, satisfying death of the "circle game" meme, it creates some unwanted comparisons.

 

CONCEPT LOGO:

mSW5JK1.png

PlasPYo.png

The new logo takes inspiration from the pre-rebrand Quakers identity, which used a QUAKERS scrip over a dark green block W. However, I wanted to keep the unique double green color scheme, so I made the primary W lime with the dark outline. The Quakers don't need to be fancy, especially in their current state. This return to a simpler time may be what the team needs to get at least to the middle of the pack and not 10 feet below the basement.

 

--------------

MUSKINGUM FIGHTING MUSKIES

AAAALLLLL HAIL MUSKIIIIIIIINGUUUUM, GLORRRRIOUS ALMA MATERRRRRR... THYYYYYY LOYAL CHILLLLLDREN, COMMMMMMMME TO DO THEE HOOOONNNOORRRR

 

Muskingum was the best two years of my life. I met my closest friends who are like family to me. Without it and my time in the Communication, Media, and Theatre Department, I wouldn't have landed my dream job. I got the chance to call football games live on-air last fall, calling both victories in Week 1 and 10. It was frustrating to watch at times, yes.

 

This team was like watching a roller coaster last fall:

- A freshman, dual-threat QB who turned the ball over constantly

- Two of the best receivers/play-makers in the OAC who did what they could to make plays

- An impressive yet inexperienced LB-turned-RB who was injured early in the year

- An experienced and explosive defensive front line

- And a young, chippy, yet surprisingly secondary.

 

Turnovers and coaching errors were what broke the team, as performance wasn't necessarily issue. The team easily could've been 6-4, as they almost came back against Otterbein, led early vs. Capital, had a last-second TD scored against them vs ONU, and above all, questionable choices late against BW in their homecoming game. After 14 seasons of mediocrity in the OAC, Coach Al Logan stepped away from Muskingum in late November, while Athletic Director Larry Shank announced his retirement just days prior.

 

ORIGINAL LOGO:

bstr1t5whc98fb90.png

Muskingum University is one of the only schools in the United States to use magenta as a primary color. So of course, athletics decided to go with red who-knows-how-many years ago. I've been told by the Athletic Communication office this specific logo was only created about 15-16 years ago. From the looks of it, I would've guessed 25 at least. A magenta version is used across campus and some marketing platforms through the Admissions Offices, but it is not official... Time to change that.

 

CONCEPT LOGO:

T6eRsQj.png

This is the result of my Senior Capstone project last fall. After many discussions with folks in marketing, athletics, admissions, student involvement, students & athletes, and my academic advisor, this was the resulting design. The current layout is loved and recognizable across campus, so moving away from it wouldn't be right. Magenta is a unique color to the sports world and Muskingum should use it. The school's previous president Anne C. Steele stated in her first speech in 2000 that students who attend Muskingum are a part of the "long magenta line," which has been used by the University in every way, shape, and form ever since. Expect the "LML" to have a big presence in the uniform designs.

 

Up Next: The Uniforms of the OAC

I love that update!! I was always wondering why they used red and then they listed magenta as an official color. You can't go wrong with a fish wearing a sweater. That's just a great logo!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guess who's back, y'all!

 

With a long weekend and I'm now settled into my new apartment (now with WiFi!), the series continues with uniforms!

 

OHIO NORTHERN POLAR BEARS

Before:

 

 


jf6l65gdlyq19pky.jpg

ONU%20football%20taking%20the%20field%20

8mxwk8yqyywnpaqn.jpg
 

 

After:

2ejJBlC.jpg

nffIS11.jpg

  • Made orange the primary color
  • Adjusted the jersey striping to make it a complete stripe and removed the Oklahoma State-esque notch
  • Applied the new stripes to the pants and helmet
  • Polar Bear head replaces the ONU lettering on the helmet.

------------

Heidelberg Student Princes

Before:

 

 


45uucf40dripsedn.jpg

mount_1.jpg
 

 

After:

Pu0N415.jpg

oQeTGNb.jpg

------------

BALDWIN WALLACE YELLOW JACKETS

Before:

 

 


vollmeroac.jpg

vollmer101417.jpg
 

 

After:

O7weXUP.jpg

O3UyNnR.jpg

  • Emphasized sleeve striping rather than the shoulder loops (You'll see why in the next team)
  • New Stinger logo appears on the helmet
  • Added brown and white pant options

------------

Otterbein Cardinals

Before:

 

 


GraphicProDay.jpg
 

 

After:

rWGqVk5.jpg

SXPro8Z.jpg

  • Slight update to the logo, replacing the yellow beak with old gold to match the uniform
  • Gold helmets, pants, and drop-shadow numbers return
  • No more wordmark on the pants or Oregon "O" on the helmet

------------

Muskingum Fighting Muskies

Before:

 

 


2ays63dvozyesb8m.jpg

o9elic7j5k2rsmta.jpg
 

 

After:

1yGrzKK.jpg

AgkP0NU.jpg

  • The school's "Long Magenta Line" saying plays into the creation of this uniform, as a literal long magenta line stretches across the chest of the jersey.
  • Muskie appears on its own on the helmet
  • Added a magenta pants option

------------

Up Next: Wrapping things up with Marietta, Mount Union, JCU, Wilmington, and Capital.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes to BW and the rest of the teams!!! Can't wait to see the rest!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wrapping things up here in the OAC with Mount Union, John Carroll, Capital, Marietta, and Wilmington!

--------------------------------

MOUNT UNION PURPLE RAIDERS

Before:



5a34b86eb87f4.image.jpg?resize=1200,674

u75i7a8km6ul9ney.jpg

nsazgegjz8hxcm6j.jpg

After:

zbQaX57.png

nNXVlUV.png

  • Purple metallic helmet with a slightly-oversized R logo
  • Sword from the R appears on the jersey sleeves
  • Single-color pants stripe on all pants options

--------------------------------

JOHN CARROLL BLUE STREAKS

Before:



1_2017_09_02_JCU_Football015.JPG

EP-170839850.jpg&maxh=400&maxw=667

1_IMG_6731.JPG

After:

Nf2Khfk.png

AAvc5pk.jpg

  • Kept the cross on the sleeves, left the helmet blank. If any team can pull off the classic look, it's JCU.
  • New lighter blue applied to the uniform, JCU logo on the chest
  • Added blue and white pants options for home, with the bolt pants stripe giving the uniform a modern flair.

--------------------------------

CAPITAL CRUSADERS

Before:



Capital_Football_vs_Wilmington_web_21.jp

Cap_v._Musky_14.jpg

After:

7IIa04h.png

C8mSG9p.jpg

  • Went a little Michigan State-esque with this one, using tapered striping on the helmet and pants.
  • More-standard block font replaces the MSU ripoff
  • Shoulder loops replaced with a sublimated, oversized primarily logo

--------------------------------

MARIETTA PIONEERS

Before:



event-football2.jpg?itok=forZKnTI

9-4-2017-MC-Clark-ja-801x840.jpg

After:

jlatAPC.png

3FYxBrT.jpg

  • Brick pattern inspired by the historical city of Marietta, being the first settlement in Ohio, and the College's brick-and-mortar architecture *Gag*
  • Oversized helmet logo stays, silver helmet becomes the only helmet
  • Blue home pants option added

--------------------------------

WILMINGTON QUAKERS

Before:



636409077567742324-090217MeyerTD.jpg

TuchowWILM.JPG

After:

0NYVN8A.jpg

P2EqgsF.jpg

  • Wilmington has a mess of a uniform; It's like three different uniforms in one. Time for that to change
  • Satin Lime helmet at home, white helmet on the road.
  • Sleeve Striping forms a W for Wilmington
  • Number font closely resembles the new logo

---------------------------------------

And that concludes my Ohio Athletic Conference Concept Series! Thanks to all my fellow OAC alumni who have followed along and supported the series.

 

As for my next football series... How about some MACtion?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.