Classic Coral: Dolphins Tweak Colours for New Uniform

Skape7

7 hours ago, dirwuf said:

While I'll always prefer the classic logo, I think a lot of folks disenchantment with the previous uniform was unfairly directed toward the modern logo....now I have a hunch the furor will die down somewhat.

7 hours ago, Survival79 said:

I wish they would have gone back to the navy.

Untitled.png

3 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

The colours look better, the number font looks better, and the logo is still garbage. 

An overall improvement to be sure, but it feels like a band-aid.

It’s definitely a huge step in the right direction, but now that the color balance and overall design of the uniform are back on track, it makes the weak parts of the package that much more glaring.

It’s a new number set, a new wordmark (and removal of it from the jersey), and a small adjustment to the below logo away from being the ultimate modern incarnation of the Dolphins’ look.

3171A48B-5933-4EBF-85BF-34BF13C32762.jpeg.e5e4ffbd57c7095abdf4f6d3235fe3ae.jpeg

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A solid upgrade and one that needed to happen. They looked a bit too subdued and bland after the most recent redesign. Nothing popped about the uniforms or was particularly memorable. They were far from a joke set but whenever they broke the throwbacks out it blew the current set out of the stadium

This is a good happy marriage between new and classic. You don't always see that, but this works.

3 hours ago, Mitch B said:

This Miami Dolphins fan of 45+ years is pleased.  I didn’t get everything I wanted, but this is a significant upgrade.

We’ll suck on the field again this year, but we’ll look better doing it.  ???

Well I mean they do wear the classics once a year. The upgrade itself probably gets you 75% of what you wanted and that ain't bad

A FULL backtrack would be a total admission of failure and sports teams HATE doing that after introducing much ballyhooed uniform redesigns  

3 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

It’s a new number set, a new wordmark (and removal of it from the jersey), and a small adjustment to the below logo away from being the ultimate modern incarnation of the Dolphins’ look.

Wait, did I log onto www.theonionsportslogos.net by accident?  

Just now, mafiaman said:

Wait, did I log onto www.theonionsportslogos.net by accident?  

More or less.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

7 minutes ago, WavePunter said:

Yeah, that logo is bad..

It probably wouldn’t work on the throwback, for example, but if the logo and uniform are going to be conceptualized around the idea of a “streamlined, modern dolphin,” the Dolphin Stadium iteration was a much better execution of it than the current mark is.

9 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

It’s definitely a huge step in the right direction, but now that the color balance and overall design of the uniform are back on track, it makes the weak parts of the package that much more glaring.

My whole problem with the current logo is that it is not arched in this manner as the previous logos were.  I could live with this.

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

These may be my favorite Miami uni of all time.  Ok, I get it, number font is not the best.  I actually like the new logo on a helmet, I know I'm in the minority there.  I don't mind the chest script either.  Colors are great.  Nice, simple, clean. (hoping the tramp stamp is gone)

41 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

yea, i wish we could have been able to do that. before joining the team, i developed a number font called "Nagurski". it made its way into a concept or two after being re-named "Csonka" and i thought it looked pretty good, but ultimately, we just didn't want to change too much at one time. 

Hi7Z07b.png

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

30 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

It probably wouldn’t work on the throwback, for example, but if the logo and uniform are going to be conceptualized around the idea of a “streamlined, modern dolphin,” the Dolphin Stadium iteration was a much better execution of it than the current mark is.

I disagree wholeheartedly, but to each his own.. 

The current mark still looks very much like a dolphin, even if rendered in a slightly different style than previous iterations (which were drawn differently from each other as well), but this other mark is so minimalist and abstract that it can't even be compared to the others.. Plus, that funky orange bottom fin and empty white space just both look bad imo.. It doesn't even have a caudal fin.. I just plain don't like it..

I actually like the current logo, and although it's not perfect, I do consider it a successful evolution of the logo.. The dolphin stadium version, however, is better suited for a stadium than a franchise's uniforms.. 

1 minute ago, Jt0323 said:

That logo is a stadium logo Dolphins has years ago

Only without the sunburst. Around the time before the logo design, I slapped the old Dolphin Stadium logo on the sunburst. I still think it would be a decent modernized approach with a few tweaks. It captures the essence of the dolphin jumping out of the water without the goofy cartoon look of the 98 logo or the awkward pose of the logo they eventually ended up with. 

18 minutes ago, BrandMooreArt said:

yea, i wish we could have been able to do that. before joining the team, i developed a number font called "Nagurski". it made its way into a concept or two after being re-named "Csonka" and i thought it looked pretty good, but ultimately, we just didn't want to change too much at one time. 

Hi7Z07b.png

Great job with this! Definitely looks like a modern spin on the classic block font.

Although I do think rounded corners fit better with the current brand and modern day Miami.

4 minutes ago, Jt0323 said:

That logo is a stadium logo Dolphins has years ago

Funny enough, I do think they took some inspiration from that logo, especially the white space between the top and bottom of the dolphin.

1 minute ago, Skape7 said:

@BrandMooreArt I've been meaning to ask you... Do the executives or the design team visit Dolphins fan forums to get a sense of what fans are clamoring for or to gauge their reaction to design changes?

i dont think so. our Social team monitors what goes on twitter, IG, and facebook because its always in front of them and theres consistent themes there. we see "bring back the old logo and uniforms!" on almost everything we post. its not something we take too seriously, but some comments to the Color Rush uni helped persuade the new orange conversation. theres a great photoshop someone did of a player as a Creamsicle we used in one of our pitches. someone today commented "the Dolphins video editor should be the new CEO" and our Creative Director of Video gave them a "like". so we're out there, somewhat :)

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Archived