Jacksonville Jaguars Unveil Stripped-Down Uniforms

JagAaron33

These things are oh so close...and yet, not quite there. I think just a few small tweaks and these sets will be, given what they're going for, about as close to 100% as one could hope for.

One: move the logo on the jerseys down onto the hip on the pants. They've already done that before, and if nothing else at least something will be on the pants. (And of course, I have Florida State on my mind as I write all this...they've been doing the hip logo thing for quite a while now. It'd be an interesting little ode, especially with Jalen Ramsey headlining that defense.)

And second...the sleeve cuffs should really be the same color as the jersey, like the collar...that way the little sleeve stripe things follow the same style as the collar...slashes, I guess?...oh, and on the white jerseys they should definitely be teal. 

Here's a quick and dirty Photoshop job I mocked to show the difference.

tBvTTlJ.png

ao7DYPk.png

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

• Replies 575
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, dont care said:

Eh I feel either way with most of the players cuffs getting tucked under the shoulder pads I feel it will look the same regardless.

You know it’s 2018 and jerseys are tailored basically without sleeves right? As in players don’t tuck their jerseys underneath their shoulder pads anymore. It’s not a 2003 High School Football league.

10 hours ago, Buc said:

These things are oh so close...and yet, not quite there. I think just a few small tweaks and these sets will be, given what they're going for, about as close to 100% as one could hope for.

One: move the logo on the jerseys down onto the hip on the pants. They've already done that before, and if nothing else at least something will be on the pants. (And of course, I have Florida State on my mind as I write all this...they've been doing the hip logo thing for quite a while now. It'd be an interesting little ode, especially with Jalen Ramsey headlining that defense.)

And second...the sleeve cuffs should really be the same color as the jersey, like the collar...that way the little sleeve stripe things follow the same style as the collar...slashes, I guess?...oh, and on the white jerseys they should definitely be teal. 

tBvTTlJ.png

ao7DYPk.png

Muuuuuuuuch better.

8 hours ago, Brown1 said:

You know it’s 2018 and jerseys are tailored basically without sleeves right? As in players don’t tuck their jerseys underneath their shoulder pads anymore. It’s not a 2003 High School Football league.

Yeah, exactly.  The sleeve trim will be visible, just truncated and crammed up close to the swoosh.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Look - I'm a fan of single-color numbers where appropriate, even though it's a hard sell sometimes.  

This is not one of those situations where it's appropriate.  They really need the trim.  They'd still be considered "traditional" or even "minimalist" even with that trim.  They could even have gotten away with a thin shadow, which would have maintained the single-color effect but still added a second color (I know how that sounds, but work with me here.)

Also, had they put teal outline on the black numbers, they could have made the sleeve / neck trim gold, which would have tastefully incorporated all of their colors and created a cohesive uniform from head to toe.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 4/28/2018 at 7:18 PM, Buc said:

ao7DYPk.png

I like the way you think, @Buc. If the white jersey has to have non-outlined black numbers, then at least the teal is better represented here. I can accept this. 

How would you handle the teal jerseys? 

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

On 4/28/2018 at 3:31 PM, Gupti said:

Been meaning to rant on the numbers cause you may be right.

The single layer numbers grew on me real quick and they’ve made me realize how extraneous number outlines can be. These digits are crisp, bold, and classic as they are. All of the concepts that I’ve seen attempt to add outlines to this look just look kinda messy and compromise the uni’s purpose.

The font? I’m blown away, honestly. I was a little disappointed at first to see a font as unique as the last one go, but I couldn’t stay mad at a font like this. It’s like the classic athletic block font, but (dare I say??) better. Several times have teams tried to riff on athletic block but didn’t do much short of taking notches out of the corners, adding very little to the look (*cough* BROWNS *cough*).

The Jags new font, however, has taken the spirit of athletic block and given it a modern sleekness and a hint of meanness. It looks badass while still being perfectly legible with no distracting spikes, notched, bells, whistles, etc. It’s generic, but in a good way like athletic block is. The way I feel about this font is basically that the league could standardize it to every team like they do in the MLS and I wouldn’t have a problem. It looks that nice.

No offense dude but it feels like you’ll praise these for anything 

first off the previous number font fit perfectly with the Jaguars branding and wordmark. The change was completely unnecessary and uncalled for

next without colored trim it just looks flat and dull. having trim will do wonders and make it really pop. I don’t even think out last set looked bad outside of the helmet. Slap the new helmet over the old jerseys and they’d look golden

theres a fine line between blandness and minimalist and these are bland. What about them scream Jaguars? What is unique about them? The Vikings are a perfect example of this and what the jags should’ve followed. They have a very minimal and simplistic look but small tweaks make it unique. The number font is blocked but also rounded like their horns, the striping is meant to look like a Viking sail and the pant striping replicates the sleeve striping. Here there is just nothing and even the little features feel half assed. Like for one what’s the point of the stripes at the bottom of the pants? Next nuking the gold is a huge mistake. It’s a big part of our identity and yet they remove it? What logic is that?

the problem is Khan and TC talked about tradition but these aren’t traditional at least for the Jags. Look at their first set and they are very unorthadox. All they had to do was update that set not go with a generic template. Say what you want about the last set they at least had an identity 

this is is a very quick edit I made in Gimps to their set. It’s not perfect but imo the trim is already a huge improvement 6h6xmo15cau01.jpg

6 minutes ago, Dboi2001 said:

What about them scream Jaguars?

Sometimes a uniform doesn't have to scream. The Jaguars entire approach to this uniform unveil, and just the franchise in general has been decidedly we're an indoor-voice franchise now. We're serious. We win games. Tom. Coughlin. 

You know? I feel like people keep criticizing these uniforms for not doing something that the Jaguars never really wanted to do. If you accept the premise of the Jaguars aiming for something serious, and honestly probably being more focused on the on-field product more than they have been in years, this all makes sense.

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

6 minutes ago, DeFrank said:

Sometimes a uniform doesn't have to scream. The Jaguars entire approach to this uniform unveil, and just the franchise in general has been decidedly we're an indoor-voice franchise now. We're serious. We win games. Tom. Coughlin. 

You know? I feel like people keep criticizing these uniforms for not doing something that the Jaguars never really wanted to do. If you accept the premise of the Jaguars aiming for something serious, and honestly probably being more focused on the on-field product more than they have been in years, this all makes sense.

I agree with everything you said, but I don't think the uniforms follow that..

I don't really mind the simplicity of the jerseys.. I have a few issues with the color choices (would've gone teal numbers on white jersey and made teal jersey the primary), but I can live with the jerseys..

The area were they missed big time is the pants..

Like the Giants, they have a very simple jersey, essentially one solid color with one-color block numbers.. Nothing wrong with that..

But unlike the Giants, they have basically solid, one-color pants.. That's very collegiate.. That's what all these flashy, Oregon-wannabe schools are doing.. Even though they're simple, they send the wrong message.. The Giants' pants are strictly business.. They're pretty simple as well, but they look professional.. They tie the entire look together, as each piece can't completely stand on its own (and that's ok - since the entire uniform is designed to be worn together).. So, I'm ok that the jerseys don't SCREAM JAGUARS, but I'm not ok that they went with Bush League pants that leave the overall uniform looking empty, cheap, stock, and, at the moment - "trendy".. Something simple, clean, and classic on the pants would've done wonders for the uniform set as a whole.. But as it stands, the pants miss the mark..

14 minutes ago, DeFrank said:

This is a perfect way to put it. The new uniforms may not be anything flashy, but they don’t need to be. They want to look professional, no need for any gimmicky features in them. Gold might help, but there’s nothing bad about these

16 minutes ago, WavePunter said:

I agree with everything you said, but I don't think the uniforms follow that..

I don't really mind the simplicity of the jerseys.. I have a few issues with the color choices (would've gone teal numbers on white jersey and made teal jersey the primary), but I can live with the jerseys..

The area were they missed big time is the pants..

Like the Giants, they have a very simple jersey, essentially one solid color with one-color block numbers.. Nothing wrong with that..

But unlike the Giants, they have basically solid, one-color pants.. That's very collegiate.. That's what all these flashy, Oregon-wannabe schools are doing.. Even though they're simple, they send the wrong message.. The Giants' pants are strictly business.. They're pretty simple as well, but they look professional.. They tie the entire look together, as each piece can't completely stand on its own (and that's ok - since the entire uniform is designed to be worn together).. So, I'm ok that the jerseys don't SCREAM JAGUARS, but I'm not ok that they went with Bush League pants that leave the overall uniform looking empty, cheap, stock, and, at the moment - "trendy".. Something simple, clean, and classic on the pants would've done wonders for the uniform set as a whole.. But as it stands, the pants miss the mark..

I understand where you’re coming from. I think I’m just at this point where I feel like the Jaguars answer would probably be “you know what’s professional? Winning football games. Back to work!” It’s like they designed these too be too simple to like trick or train themselves into believing that’s what this franchise is. I kind of respect that dedication to an ethos.

ive never thought these uniforms we’re perfect. Basically all the concepts I’ve seen of woolen adding gold or outlines I think I wouldn’t like better than what they did. But I really don’t like this criticism that they look amateur, or they messed up this opportunity. They did exactly what they wanted to do for the franchise as a franchise. And I really respect that.

** and last thing: it’s an NFL team. They play in an NFL stadium with NFL on the collar and with NFL quality players. If anything, them adopting plain pants will change how We think of plain pants as “amateur” over time. The Jaguars are just as entitled to make something “professional” via their on field success as they are entitled to adopt a design that’s already considered professional. In 20 years if the Jaguars have won 3 Super Bowls and still wear plain white pants, we will think of plain white pants as NFL normal.

potd 10/20/12

1 hour ago, DeFrank said:

Well considering Shad Khan outright said “they still scream Jagaurs” yes it matters. And like you as a redskins fan has anything to talk about ‘speaking in an indoor voice’ the redskins look are loud and proud

My issue is these don’t fit the jagaurs franchise at all. They’re the second youngest nfl team (third if you count the expansion browns as a seperate team) but are trying to harken back to the 60s? It’s like the Bears making their uniforms ultra modern. Just look at the jags old uniforms and tell me they are super ‘traditional’?

you don’t have to be bland and boring to be taken seriously. What makes teams take you seriously is the way you play. People took the Jags seriously when they wore this and honestly if the jags won the super bowl with their two tone helmet people would be saying that it was amazing why? Because they were a force to be reckoned with and nearly had a perfect season in their fourth year (:censored: the :censored:)jags-01-08-teal-iconsmi-620x620.jpg 

The problem is jags fans is how Khan and TC seemingly outright lied about their new look. They said it would be more traditional (wrong), have more teal (wrong) and be bold and unique (wrong). The only truth is that they’re simple. The jagaurs should embrace their crazy colors and theme yet FO acts like it’s a shame and they want more ‘normal’ colors. Jackosnville is the bold city. How are these bold at all? Bold means adventurous, daring and risk taking. What about these new uniforms is any of that? I saw someone describe the new set perfectly. The old uniforms were a spoiled child but these uniforms are the overly strict parented no fun sheltered child. Even the logo and helmets don’t fit at all because of how detailed it is and the helmets being shiny. 

Honestly I’d rather have awful and unique instead of good and bland

btw yes they look amateurish. The plain pants, no outline and logo on the chest do look like a colliegate uniform and that is a valid criticism. If I make a painting and you say it looks amateurish and I say it’s suppose to look that way does that negate the criticism? Saying it’s suppose to be that way is not a valid rebuttal

image_handler.jpeg?w=763

1 hour ago, DeFrank said:

I understand where you’re coming from. I think I’m just at this point where I feel like the Jaguars answer would probably be “you know what’s professional? Winning football games. Back to work!” It’s like they designed these too be too simple to like trick or train themselves into believing that’s what this franchise is. I kind of respect that dedication to an ethos.

ive never thought these uniforms we’re perfect. Basically all the concepts I’ve seen of woolen adding gold or outlines I think I wouldn’t like better than what they did. But I really don’t like this criticism that they look amateur, or they messed up this opportunity. They did exactly what they wanted to do for the franchise as a franchise. And I really respect that.

** and last thing: it’s an NFL team. They play in an NFL stadium with NFL on the collar and with NFL quality players. If anything, them adopting plain pants will change how We think of plain pants as “amateur” over time. The Jaguars are just as entitled to make something “professional” via their on field success as they are entitled to adopt a design that’s already considered professional. In 20 years if the Jaguars have won 3 Super Bowls and still wear plain white pants, we will think of plain white pants as NFL normal.

I understand the premise of your opinion, but I would argue that changing how we view plain white pants is one of the worst possible things that could ever happen to professional football aesthetics.. It allows Nike and Adidas (the primary culprits) to continue streamlining their production by forcing more and more teams into cheap, stock, amateur-looking uniforms.. 

Plain white pants are what every peewee team in the county wears.. It's what Adidas TechFit teams wear (100% stock, btw) at every level below power 5 schools.. It's what Nike has had OREGON wearing.. Promoting a reality where these companies can rake in more money for doing less work and making teams look worse is a horrible mistake.. Not every team has to be über unique with cutting edge designs like the Buccaneers or Browns, but they should absolutely look like a professional club wearing game uniforms when they take the field every Sunday.. Again, the jerseys are fine.. Not perfect, but fine... But the pants need something.. And those goofy little "cuffs" ain't cuttin' it..

Also, if the point is for the team to be taken seriously, what is up with those weird, tapered sleeve, pants, and sock details? If you want something there, put it there.. If not, then don't.. But whatever those things are, is bad (Sleeve details are significantly less offensive than the pants/socks details).. To be taken seriously, drop the pants thing and make the sock stripe a legit stripe.. 

50 minutes ago, Dboi2001 said:

Well considering Shad Khan outright said “they still scream Jagaurs” yes it matters. And like you as a redskins fan has anything to talk about ‘speaking in an indoor voice’ the redskins look are loud and proud

My issue is these don’t fit the jagaurs franchise at all. They’re the second youngest nfl team (third if you count the expansion browns as a seperate team) but are trying to harken back to the 60s? It’s like the Bears making their uniforms ultra modern. Just look at the jags old uniforms and tell me they are super ‘traditional’?

you don’t have to be bland and boring to be taken seriously. What makes teams take you seriously is the way you play. People took the Jags seriously when they wore this and honestly if the jags won the super bowl with their two tone helmet people would be saying that it was amazing why? Because they were a force to be reckoned with and nearly had a perfect season in their fourth year (:censored: the :censored:)jags-01-08-teal-iconsmi-620x620.jpg 

The problem is jags fans is how Khan and TC seemingly outright lied about their new look. They said it would be more traditional (wrong), have more teal (wrong) and be bold and unique (wrong). The only truth is that they’re simple. The jagaurs should embrace their crazy colors and theme yet FO acts like it’s a shame and they want more ‘normal’ colors. Jackosnville is the bold city. How are these bold at all? Bold means adventurous, daring and risk taking. What about these new uniforms is any of that? I saw someone describe the new set perfectly. The old uniforms were a spoiled child but these uniforms are the overly strict parented no fun sheltered child. Even the logo and helmets don’t fit at all because of how detailed it is and the helmets being shiny. 

Honestly I’d rather have awful and unique instead of good and bland

btw yes they look amateurish. The plain pants, no outline and logo on the chest do look like a colliegate uniform and that is a valid criticism. If I make a painting and you say it looks amateurish and I say it’s suppose to look that way does that negate the criticism? Saying it’s suppose to be that way is not a valid rebuttal

image_handler.jpeg?w=763

Well, most people seem to hate it, so they must have taken some sort of risk here. :lol:

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

2 hours ago, Dboi2001 said:

I actually think the painting example is perfect. Calling these uniforms “amateurish” because they’re (and I agree with you here) TOO simple for my tastes is the equivalent of saying “my five year old could draw that” about some abstract art

potd 10/20/12

3 hours ago, Dboi2001 said:

No offense dude but it feels like you’ll praise these for anything 

Why would I? I hated every single bit about the last uniform from the moment they were revealed, and not just the easy-to-hate parts like the helmet, either. They were the second worst uniform of the Super Bowl era and probably my least favorite overall for reasons that I've ranted about at embarrassing length. I'm not going to just blindly accept whatever I'm being fed by the franchise here. I wouldn't say that I'm any more brainwashed than someone who claims to understand whatever the heck was going on with the 2013 design.

It's not like these are my ideal vision of the Jaguars uniform, but I just like a lot that they decided to follow up the previous mess with something that is subdued and meant to emulate teams who always had a no nonsense approach to their uniforms. It's different than what a lot of teams are doing, but that's cool to me, a lot cooler than tossing together a mess of "cutting edge (literally)" features like the Titans did. I think the current state of football uniforms has led people to thinking that uniforms always have to have extra unique features, but I don't think that has to be the case for a uniform to be good.

For instance, the Lions tried to make their uniforms scream "LIONS!" by literally adding the word LIONS to their simple Northwestern stripes, and while I still like the jersey, I'm sure we can all agree that that is something that we can live without. The Titans tried to make something unique and, *boom*, we ended up with the first team to wear giant swords on their jerseys. Ouch. Meanwhile, teams like the Colts and Chiefs have been using simple jerseys for their whole history and people have no problem identifying them. You could argue, then, that the Jags may be a little late to that party but I'll say that it's better late than never.

Are they, in some ways, a little too simplistic? Sure, I would've perhaps done something a bit different with the pants, or maybe taken the slightest hint of gold elsewhere than the logo (Although not too much, since it's a very loud color and I almost feel as though Nike can't be trusted with it). Do I wish they'd gone with teal for the primary? Hell yeah, I do. Is this the greatest that the Jaguars have ever looked? Nah, wouldn't say so.

The simple direction is just something that I appreciate, though, especially as long as they're going to be a team that changes uniforms often, which is key here and appears to be the case. I can accept these because I like how there are no extraneous features, I can take the gold present in the logos for what it is, I really like the font and the crispness of no outlines (although the last font was probably the only part of the last set that I liked), and I really, REALLY like having a helmet that is all black with just the Jag head on the sides. That is what screams "JAGUARS!" to me.

IMO, of course.

Archived