Jacksonville Jaguars Unveil Stripped-Down Uniforms

JagAaron33

• Replies 575
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We need to have a conversation on hyperbole here.

These aren't awful.  These aren't the worst in the league.  These aren't hideous.  These aren't an abomination.

They're boring, yes.  Quite boring. The worst that you can refer to these as? Mediocre or "meh."

VmWIn6B.png

I love the simplicity of the jersey, but my only gripe is the number font. It just needs something else ... an outline? Drop shadow? Something.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

9 minutes ago, LETSGOBLUEBEATMSU said:

The only thing that made it a clown suit imo was the helmet. 

I agree that the two-tone helmet was by far the worst element, but the collar, pants stripes and faux military team logo patch were also pretty poor.

8 minutes ago, Ice Man said:

Chris Negron (twitter name) posted this photoshop on the Jags' tweet.

So simple and would have made these a lot less plain Jane looking.

I still would have hated the yoga pants but this would have had much more life to them.

DbKTyWfUwAAe9p6.jpg

Yeah...that's objectively an improvement.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Here's how I see it:

Pros:

Helmet (No half/half)

Font (easy to read)

Jerseys (Not busy)

Color Palette (No unnecessary random colors or adding in of colors)

Cons:

Pants (Lack of stripe)

Jerseys (non-contrasting number outline, Teal not primary, mix/match will be strange)

Overall I'd give it a C+/B-. It is an upgrade over what they had, my only issues are that the numbers don't have contrasting outlines and instead go with the primary jersey color for the outline and at that point you may as well just not have them. I also worry a bit about mixing and matching since the black and white jerseys have little/no trace of teal and pairing it with the teal pants is going to be awkward. To beat the dead horse: White jersey should have teal numbers w/black outline, teal should have black outline on white #s and should be primary.

Maybe the shock is wearing off, but I’m warming up to them a little. With the helmet the white/black combo isn’t bad, just not the best it could be. All black is also starting to grow on me but I still don’t think it should be the primary.

49 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

This board baffles me. 

This set is only a few strands of unnecessary piping away from being previous Jaguars uniforms that, unless I'm recalling it differently, were universally loathed.  

Not exactly:

You bring up the unnecessary piping which never quite worked (almost worked in 2012) and was the primary reason people didn't like it. 

Secondly, the number font is far less wonky that the font from 2009 which was the other main reason people disliked the 2009 set. 

So the two biggest points against the 2009 set have been nullified. 

Sometimes this board baffles me. Can't do too much with a uniform or its "too busy" or trying to be "too modern," and you can do too little with a uniform otherwise it's "tasteless, bland, boring, lazy." Yeah these uniforms need some improvements, but I don't see you bashing Alabama, Penn State, Texas, USC, Vikings, Jets, Giants, (to name a few) etc... for not having number outlines. Or any other missing design element.

a2BRS8U.png

2 minutes ago, Primzahl said:

Because wearing all black in Florida while running your ass off on a football field is always fun.

They will quickly figure out that they have no choice but to wear teal at home.

First couple games at home, they wear white traditionally.

Statements!

“True to our current identity and what we want to represent for years to come, our new uniforms are no-nonsense, all business and unmistakably Jaguars,” Jaguars Owner Shad Khan said.  “Tradition has returned to Jacksonville.”

“I wanted to see the return of tradition, I wanted to see the distinctiveness, I wanted the shiny black helmet with a beautiful Jaguars logo,” said Jaguars Executive Vice President of Football Operations Tom Coughlin. “I wanted to be represented that way. Just exactly how I've explained it: the classic Jaguar uniform. To a player, the uniform means everything. Because when you put that uniform on you not only represent your franchise, your team, your community; you represent your family. You represent your parents, your wife, your children, everything packed into one because your name is on the back of that uniform.” 

Coughlin added, “A traditional, classic, distinctive National Football League uniform that could be related to.” “We have three players that should be in the Hall of Fame. Tony Boselli should be in the Hall of Fame, Fred Taylor should be in the Hall of Fame and Jimmy Smith should be in the Hall of Fame. The thing that's important for me in thinking about this uniform is the connect. The players of the 2018 Jacksonville Jaguars will wear a uniform, that when they see those three people inducted into the Hall of Fame, they can relate directly to that. That's the distinctive, traditional, classic, uniform of the Jacksonville Jaguars.”

2 hours ago, bowld said:

Helmet is only good thing from this set

Jacksonville-Jaguars-New-Helmet-2018-Unv

No bias: This helmet right here in that finish right there is easily in the top tier of NFL helmets. Matte could never do this beauty justice. I'm so stoked to finally see this come to fruition after five long, dark years.

EDIT: Not gonna lie, I'm kinda stunned that there's more gold in that warning sticker than there is in the entire uniform if you throw the logos aside.

10 minutes ago, H11K said:

Sometimes this board baffles me. Can't do too much with a uniform or its "too busy" or trying to be "too modern," and you can do too little with a uniform otherwise it's "tasteless, bland, boring, lazy." Yeah these uniforms need some improvements, but I don't see you bashing Alabama, Penn State, Texas, USC, Vikings, Jets, Giants, (to name a few) etc... for not having number outlines. Or any other missing design element.

1) Both "too busy" and "too bland" are very legitimate criticisms and can both operate in the same, rational world. I think most members on this forum like to see well-designed uniforms, with well-placed elements included. Somewhere in between is optimal (which is what's happened with the Vikings set, for example -- it is unique, but well-designed).

2) All the college teams you've cited are all dark/light color pair teams. Alabama is crimson and white; Penn State is navy and white; Texas is burnt orange and white; USC is cardinal and gold. The Jets are green and white. The only possible jersey out of that entire crew that could feasibly be outlined is USC's away jersey. The Jaguars are a teal and black team whose primary home jersey will be black and white and feature almost no teal. That's bad.

3) Talking in absolutes about design is never a good idea. Traditional, plain jerseys work well in some cases -- I think Penn State's jerseys work really well despite being really plain. Single-color numbers work well in some cases -- I think they're great on the Vikings set, which contains an appropriate amount of flair and gold to make it all work. I think what the membership is saying here is that this specific set of design doesn't work well. The jersey doesn't look "traditional," it looks bland (because the Jaguars are a '90s expansion team that has teal as its primary jersey color). The numbers, without an outline, help contribute to the overall blandness.

Alabama's jerseys are bland, sure. They're also well-designed and fit a team that has a long history of tradition, and a long history in those jerseys. They work. The same design principles don't work very well here because they don't fit the team.

6fQjS3M.png

Archived