Goldengoose05

All-American Association Football League: 1910-1911 Preseason Announcements

15 hours ago, Goldengoose05 said:

Announcing the Duluth Iron Rangers of the Mid-American Regional Division

Ht0Hddl.png

I really like Duluth, and the name is cool, the only problem is that Duluth isn't actually in the Iron Range, it is the port city that the towns in the Iron Range send their ore to. Besides my nitpick I like the look, this is my favorite team as of now.

4 hours ago, Section30 said:

I really like Duluth, and the name is cool, the only problem is that Duluth isn't actually in the Iron Range, it is the port city that the towns in the Iron Range send their ore to. Besides my nitpick I like the look, this is my favorite team as of now.

I knew that Duluth isn't on the Iron Range, but it's association with iron and the fact that great number of teams back at the turn of the century went by "Rangers" was too good of an opportunity to pass up for the name.

I like Duluth, too, but being up there once on a cold, windy December day on the lakefront in Bentleyville was an experience I don't want to repeat.  Freezing Lake Superior spray, brrr!

By the way, doing the research for this project, I found out why so many teams had names like Nomads, Rovers, Rangers, and Wanderers - they didn't have their own home fields.

1905-1906 Ultimate Division Results

At the end of the fall session, Chicago and Philadelphia were tied on points at 15, with Chicago having a better goal difference.  Baltimore Chimney Swifts trailed by 2 points.
The second half of the season was another story.  The Chimney Swifts went undefeated in the spring, posting 7 wins and 4 draws.  They claimed the Ultimate Division crown, finishing ahead by 3 points. 

The newly promoted Boston Gaelics finished tied for 5th, ahead of their cross-town rival and defending champion. Boston Shipwrights.  The other newcomer, Baltimore Bannerets tied for 7th.  The Louisville Lt. Colonels and the St. Louis Mounds were relegated.

WTm4ulr.png

1905-1906 Penultimate Division Results

The Brooklyn Bridegrooms took the top spot in the Penultimate to ensure their return to the top flight.  Chicago Southsiders edged Philadelphia Sports and Cleveland Forest on goal difference to take the second promotion spot.   Sports manager Connie Mack vowed that his club would make it back to the Ultimate Division next year.

St. Louis Big Deals and Washington DCAC finished at the bottom of the Penultimate.  The Big Deals could have staved off relegation, but they dropped their last three games.  Owner Gus Diel vowed that changes would be made for the 1906-1907 season in the Mid-American Regional Division.  This could spell the end of the partnership with General Manager Thomas Cahill.  Rumors abound that the other St. Louis club want Cahill to revitalize the Mounds.

Mgc6Ysg.png

1905-1906 American Football Association Cup

The 32 spots in the American Football Association Cup were filled by the entire slates from the Ultimate and Penultimate Divisions, along with the top 5 teams at the fall break from the Mid-American and Eastern Regional Divisions.

The St. Paul Boreads were one of the Cinderella stories, defeating the 2nd division's Boston Gaelics and Philadelphia Sports.  Their second round win dashed the Quaker City’s hopes of a repeat of the famous 1903 matchup of the Philadelphia clubs.

The Boreads crosstown rivals also advanced to the quarterfinals, downing the Baltimore Bannerets and the Toledo Glassmakers.  The Toledo squad had scored one of the biggest upsets with their defeat of NY Fomorians.

Paterson True Blues were another bright spot in the tournament.  They knocked off the Pittsburgh Privateers and the KC Fountains before bowing to the Chicago West Side Kicks.

The Milwaukee Brewmasters had to face the two Chicago sides in succession.  The Boys in Blue overwhelmed the Southsiders in the quarterfinals but fell to the West Side Kicks in the semifinal.

The final will feature the Philadelphia Libbies and the Chicago West Side Kicks.

VppFLGB.png

The Baker Bowl in Philadelphia was the venue for the 1905-1906 American Football Association Cup Final.  The Libbies had edged their way into the final, garnering 1-goal victories at home in all of their games.  The West Side Kicks had an easier time in their string of victories at West Side Park.

Ricky Cohen got the Libbies on the board in the 21st minute, from some snappy combination play with Deegan Hill and Roger Ryan.  Cameron McGuire doubled the lead shortly after halftime on a floated cross from Reegan Holland.  McGuire returned the favor in the 72nd minute by threading a through ball for Holland to run onto and shoot past West Side Kicks keeper Bennett Blevins. 

After a long solo run, Anton McDaniel pulled one back for the West Side Kicks 2 minutes from the final whistle.  There was no time to complete the comeback.  When time was expired, the Libbies stood as AFA Cup champions for the second time. 

4QyMr6r.png

1905-1906 Regional Division Results

In the desire to balance the table sizes, President Irwin declared that two teams from each of the Regional Divisions would be granted promotion.  In the Mid-American Regional, it was Indianapolis Circle City and Louisville Racehorses.  The Louisville promotion will set up in-season derby matches between the Racehorses and the Lieutenant Colonels.

wy0LknX.png

In the Eastern Regional, it was Paterson True Blues and Providence Silversmiths that claimed the top two spots and earned promotion to the Penultimate Division.

zrgggj4.png

8 hours ago, TargetToad said:

What do those "E"s next to Akron, Chicago Pullman, Canton, and Duluth mean?

Those were to denote "Expansion"

Looks like the new clubs had a tough time in their first season.  The low seed values I put into their random number generators apparently played out.

1905-1906 Football World Cup

In the Football World Cup, the AAAFL’s Baltimore Chimney Swifts were drawn with Juventus and Celtic of Scotland.  After a disappointing draw with Juventus, the Swifts faced a must-win game against Celtic to advance.  Trusty Inside Left James Holden scored in the 89th minute to garner the victory for Baltimore.

In the other group, Union 92 Berlin was faced with the same situation against Madrid FC of Spain.  The Germans had an easier time in posting a 4:2 victory over the Spaniards.
In the final, the Chimney Swifts came charging out of the gate, scoring three goals in the first 15 minutes.  Holden, Hobart, and Blevins all tallied.  The Germans made a game of it by responding with two goals before halftime.

In the second half, things settled down and the Chimney Swifts adopted a more defensive posture.  Baltimore absorbed the Berlin attacks and launched repeated counterattacks.  Holden scored on one of the counterattacks in the 73rd minute to seal the match.  With the victory, the Baltimore Chimney Swifts were Football World Champions.

qJKqkxS.png

When ever this series gets past ww2, please keep this concept of the true world championship club going. It's really cool.

On 11/4/2018 at 2:11 PM, TargetToad said:

When ever this series gets past ww2, please keep this concept of the true world championship club going. It's really cool.

I plan to keep the Football World Championship going.  It will get bigger soon with more countries participating.  I just need to figure out what the format will be.

1905-1906 Columbia Challenge Trophy

The inaugural Columbia Challenge Cup featured the champions of all four divisions of the AAAFL playing at the South End Grounds in Boston.  The Ultimate Division and newly crowned Football World Champions, the Baltimore Chimney Swifts, advanced with a convincing 4-2 win over the Midwest Regional champion, Indianapolis CIrcle City.  The Brooklyn Bridegrooms edged the Eastern Regional champion from Paterson with a late goal.

GT3iqCr.png