BringBackTheVet

Old 3930 - wash or locate replacement

I have this old 3930 that I used to wear for softball. I can not locate a new one (looks like they only make 5950 in this style for expos - struck out at Lids, eBay, and google) so what’s the best way to clean it? The dirt is on there pretty good, and it’s pretty “hard” from years of sweat.   Looking for tips on cleaning or other places to look for a new one.

zY0jZ06.jpg

Have you tried the washing machine rack they sell at Lids? Works pretty good for me... Just need to turn the spin off.

Hand scrub (With a brush) with cascade dishwasher detergent, then wash in the clothes washing machine with regular laundry detergent (you can leave the cascade suds on when you throw it in the wash)

Those hat baskets can be helpful

3 minutes ago, WavePunter said:

Hand scrub (With a brush) with cascade dishwasher detergent, then wash in the clothes washing machine with regular laundry detergent (you can leave the cascade suds on when you throw it in the wash)

Those hat baskets can be helpful

Why would i need the washing machine if I've hand washed it?  And would you just throw the basket in the machine and let it clank around?

Perhaps "hand-wash" is not the exact term I meant.. Hand-scrub with cascade, don't rinse too well, throw it in with a load if you don't want to hear it clank 

9 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Is it this thing that they say you can use in the dishwasher?  I'm not sure how it'd work in the washing machine.

81OoykRt9NL._SX425_.jpg

Yes in the washing machine, I wouldn't risk the dishwasher myself. I normally go delicates, warm, stain clean on and spin off.  I let them dry in it to keep the shape. Works really well for me and it's not risky at all without the spin...

2 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Looks like you need to straighten the bill, right? Won’t that eff it up? Mine has a curve in it (I think all 3930s do right?)

What's the plan with the hat as is? If the status quo is never wearing it again because of the dirt, I'm not sure there's much risk in flattening the bill.

3 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Looks like you need to straighten the bill, right? Won’t that eff it up? Mine has a curve in it (I think all 3930s do right?)

It doesn't really mess up the bill. I've washed plenty of hats in the washing machine with the "cage" and the bills are fine. You may need to do a bit of reshaping after it's out. But that's easy.

I just throw any hat in with a normal color load, but l always use cold water. Then simply air dry. I have an old Nike STL Cardinals hat that l can't get rid of, so l just embrace the sweat stains and grubbiness?

13 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

No. I have 5950s but my girlfriend has 9fortys which are shaped exactly like yours and they also fit just fine in there. The plastic is a bit malleable in the brim part. I've tried some of my nephew's 47 brand MVP hats (curved as yours) and they also came out just fine.

Hand wash it, loosen the dirt, spray it gently w some type of cleaner. Don’t wet the brim- since it’s cardboard it’ll get destroyed