Bruins

Bruins' Vibes Series: 1930s Animation NHL (Bruins Posted)

Recommended Posts

Every once in a while I come across a certain logo or color palette or design theme that gets my creative juices pumping like a Vitamix. A good creative vibe if you will. And when that vibe comes it lasts for a period that isn't short enough to let go by and isn't long enough to make a full hoopla out of. That can be very frustrating, so I started this thread as a casual release for whatever cool ideas pop into my head at any given moment without having to commit to a full series. AKA my version of a dump. And the vibe that has really caught my fancy as of late, is the sweet, sweet, dark comedy, creativity, and innovation that is a Great Depression era rubber hose animation cartoon. What's rubber hose animation, you might ask? Simply the original style of animating cartoon characters where their limbs look like, rubber hoses. Steamboat Willie Mickey Mouse, Popeye, and Cuphead are a few examples. I freakin' love that style, and thought, for what reason I'm not sure, that it'd be cool to transfer that style over to NHL Merchandise. Posters, Tees, etc. There's a newfound appreciation for those pioneering cartoons that has led to 21st century video game odes Bendy and Cuphead. So why not just for fun experiment and see what the heritage-minded NHL could do to implement the style into merch? After all 1930s cartoons and 1930s hockey have a lot in common, they're both dark, violent, entertaining, timeless, ...racist, but I digress. They have more in common than seems at first glance. And with the rubber hose stock at a surging high, I wanted to pounce on some exercises involving my fascination with both it and hockey. So here it is:

 

lQqCQyJ.jpg

 

So to start out, I knew I had to do something involving the Ducks, after all the team's owned by Disney, and since Wild Wing is a prime name for an classic cartoon character, I decided to make a poster along the lines of a 1930's theatre cartoon poster. I got most of my inspiration from examples like these:

 

3bPCSpp.jpg

Yk2LR2e.jpg

 

And voila, here it is! Wild Wing (modeled after the original Donald Duck, again Disney ties, with leather goalie pads and hockey sweater) starring in "Ducks in a R.O.W."!

 

7Z6NOUX.jpg

m5EpJx0.jpg

 

I'd love to hear you guys' ideas on how to flesh this out even further, as there will be some more to come, but for now what do you think of the first poster? Thanks for watching, that's all folks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bruins...WOW!...A great idea/concept, and a great start with the Ducks. I love this old, classic, "Steamboat Willie" style, so I'll be following closely.

I hope you do every team...and send them out!...Game-day posters are a thing now in the NHL. Maybe you'll snag a few gigs.

Hard to see how you could improve on the first one, except maybe that you have it laid out very nicely. I'm not sure if the old posters could be defined as "laid-out nicely". It seemed that the thing to do was to fill up every bit of negative space with...something. The cluttered look added to their charm. So maybe it could look a little more cluttered ?

Other than that though, you've captured the look, with your choice of fonts and excellent retro-style characters. Nicely done!!!

 

BTW...("That's all Folks!" at the end of your post was a nice touch...well-played :wink2:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Awesome. Can't wait for more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Next up, the Boston Bruins not as a poster, but as a simpler design that could be used for t-shirts or really any kind of merchandise. Inspired by the classic Looney Tunes end screen is "Don't Poke the Bear"! I used a combination of both Bruins color schemes from the 30's along with a compromise between spoked circle and unfortunately a little bit later era Looney Tunes title and end screen circles. It just made too much sense to pass up, so I tried to make up some of the 30'sness with the bruin himself. Hope you enjoy!

 

l34r7In.jpg

2ViAjDW.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great stuff, Bruins! I love this idea of combining a vintage style with the specific teams...and you are nailing it! Nicely executed!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These are great. Just one thing, I can't really read the gold lettering on the Ducks one as it blends in with the orange too much. There has to be something you can do there to keep the gold but make it a little more legible. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wanna see what you do with Nashville

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you guys, cause I'm so thankful hearing such great feedback!:

 

On 4/25/2018 at 8:46 AM, sparky chewbarky said:

Bruins...WOW!...A great idea/concept, and a great start with the Ducks. I love this old, classic, "Steamboat Willie" style, so I'll be following closely.

I hope you do every team...and send them out!...Game-day posters are a thing now in the NHL. Maybe you'll snag a few gigs.

Hard to see how you could improve on the first one, except maybe that you have it laid out very nicely. I'm not sure if the old posters could be defined as "laid-out nicely". It seemed that the thing to do was to fill up every bit of negative space with...something. The cluttered look added to their charm. So maybe it could look a little more cluttered ?

Other than that though, you've captured the look, with your choice of fonts and excellent retro-style characters. Nicely done!!!

 

BTW...("That's all Folks!" at the end of your post was a nice touch...well-played :wink2:)

 

On 5/2/2018 at 7:40 AM, sparky chewbarky said:

Great stuff, Bruins! I love this idea of combining a vintage style with the specific teams...and you are nailing it! Nicely executed!

 

Thank you so, so much again Sparky! I'm actually going to change the theme of this series a bit to Gameday Posters so all like the first poster but with the name of the opposing team or 'villain character' in this case, game date etc. Thinkin' I might whip up a couple for the Conference Finals series', once those matchups are revealed. I agree it's not cluttered enough, I'll try to add more hand-drawn-like details to add the authenticity.

 

Uh-b-dee, uh-b-dee, uh-b-dee thanks!

 

On 4/25/2018 at 9:34 PM, FALCON6 said:

Awesome. Can't wait for more.

 

Very much appreciated, hope I don't disappoint!

 

On 4/25/2018 at 10:53 PM, OhioSportsMan61 said:

My goodness....what a great idea for a series and a fantastic start to it! Looking forward to seeing where this goes

 

Thanks a bunch, Avi! Me too, haha

 

8 hours ago, Bulldog said:

This is legitimately one of the coolest ideas I've ever seen.  Good on ya, Bruins.

 

Well that's a nice, tall glass of awesome. Thank you so much, truly.

 

7 hours ago, builtbymachines said:

These are great. Just one thing, I can't really read the gold lettering on the Ducks one as it blends in with the orange too much. There has to be something you can do there to keep the gold but make it a little more legible. 

 

Thanks! Yeah, that happened during editing, cause it wasn't originally like that. Does it perhaps add to a sense of vintageness? A bit of a stretch, but possibly? 

 

1 hour ago, TheCanadianGuy78 said:

I wanna see what you do with Nashville

 

Well, if they shimmy their way into the WCF they'll be up soon!

 

 

Guys, seriously, thank you so much, happy my idea could be so well-received! More to come!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.