Canadian Premier League

steve61

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

An eighth franchise has officially been announced. A group led by Athletico Madrid is running the new team in Ottawa, taking the place of the Fury who recently shut down operations. The team is going to be called Athletico Ottawa, and based on the other teams that fall under the Athletico umbrella it's safe to assume they'll be using a red & white vertically striped jersey with blue shorts.

https://canpl.ca/article/canadian-premier-league-awards-1st-expansion-team-to-ottawa

I heard some rumors about this, I figured they'd start in Fall 2020, but I suppose they have plenty of time.

On 1/30/2020 at 2:23 PM, spartacat_12 said:

An eighth franchise has officially been announced. A group led by Athletico Madrid is running the new team in Ottawa, taking the place of the Fury who recently shut down operations. The team is going to be called Athletico Ottawa, and based on the other teams that fall under the Athletico umbrella it's safe to assume they'll be using a red & white vertically striped jersey with blue shorts.

https://canpl.ca/article/canadian-premier-league-awards-1st-expansion-team-to-ottawa

The name hasn't been confirmed, has it? It looks like the article is just calling them "Ottawa CPL" for now.

On 1/31/2020 at 9:39 AM, nas1787 said:

The other thing I've been thinking about is what colour their second kit should be to ensure they properly clash with other teams in the league. My vote is for a "oxidized copper" kit like the Parliament roof.

That would look really cool, but if you're thinking about other teams' jerseys, both Halifax and Pacific have very similarly-colored jerseys.

On 2/1/2020 at 5:51 PM, vtgco said:

The name hasn't been confirmed, has it? It looks like the article is just calling them "Ottawa CPL" for now.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/cpl-ottawa-soccer-1.5444976

Jeff Hunt, one of the partners who has been involved in the Redblacks & 67's confirmed they will be called Atlético Ottawa, and will be using red, white, & blue as their colours. The logo is scheduled to be unveiled February 12. I saw this posted on Reddit, and it would be a great look:

spacer.png

3 hours ago, Chromatic said:

So you have an extremely bilingual city where a big chunk of your populace is required to speak both English and French, and you go with Spanish for your forced shoehorning of European soccer naming conventions. Classic.

A french name would be better, but it this isn't a Real Salt Lake style apeing of euro naming. Ateltico Madrid is literally paying for the team to exist. They're going to want something for their investment. Same reason Redbull has all their teams names RedBull or RB where the brand name is banned.

On 2/4/2020 at 8:39 PM, Corvus said:

A french name would be better, but it this isn't a Real Salt Lake style apeing of euro naming. Ateltico Madrid is literally paying for the team to exist. They're going to want something for their investment. Same reason Redbull has all their teams names RedBull or RB where the brand name is banned.

Did not know that. It makes the name less egregious, I’m still not a fan though.

Late.....but at least the feed is showing something now.

For those who have been around a while, a familiar name around here; Victoria Gooner, is telling everyone how much he knows about the league in the chat. :lol:

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

17 minutes ago, Brian in Boston said:

As expected, Atlético Ottawa is the team name. Team colors are Federal Red, Rideau Blue and Blanc D'Ottawa.
<snip>

That's a bit underwhelming. Lots of unused white space around the Peace Tower. I guess I was hoping that, stylistically, it would be like Atletico Madrid's crest, which is a nice shape, uses space effectively and gets its message across without any text. I can see some connections between the two, but not as many as I was hoping for.

The intro video also mentions the Rideau Canal, presumably as an inspiration for the crest. I'm not seeing that, unless that's what the rounded indents on the top corners of the shield are meant to represent.

28 minutes ago, officeglenn said:

The intro video also mentions the Rideau Canal, presumably as an inspiration for the crest. I'm not seeing that, unless that's what the rounded indents on the top corners of the shield are meant to represent.

I suppose that could be the case. Or it could be something as simple as engaging in marketing speak to justify the adoption of Atlético Madrid's traditional color palette. 

After all, the tweet you linked specifically mentions the team's colors of Federal Red, Blanc D'Ottawa, and Rideau Blue. The accompanying video embedded within said tweet states, "we are inspired by the stripes of one of the world's great football clubs" (stripes rendered in hues dubbed Federal Red and Blanc D'Ottawa) and "we draw strength from the waters - Rideau Canal - that flow through our city" (the blue in the team's palette is named after said waterway).     

1 hour ago, officeglenn said:

That's a bit underwhelming. Lots of unused white space around the Peace Tower. I guess I was hoping that, stylistically, it would be like Atletico Madrid's crest, which is a nice shape, uses space effectively and gets its message across without any text. I can see some connections between the two, but not as many as I was hoping for.

Snowy here in Ottawa, eh?

I guess you need that white space at the top, because the higher you push the blue section, and the longer you extend the stripes, the more American the crest looks. The concept posted by @spartacat_12 avoided that issue with better composition, I think, putting the blue at the base and the stripes in the upper section.

5 hours ago, Corvus said:

spacer.png

I believe that device is taken from the City of Ottawa's coat of arms.

EDIT: Yes, it is. At the top of the shield which serves as the center-point in the City of Ottawa's coat of arms, one will find "dexter two arrows in saltire points upwards Argent surmounted by an Indian canoe paddle erect Or". This device symbolizes the Outaouais Nation, whose members were the first occupants of the region.    

Archived