Canadian Premier League

steve61

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Jer15 said:

Here's the "Nike speak" from Forge.

I don't really get the choice of the fountain.

ForgeFC-Away_Infographic-2.jpg

Here is the fountain in question. 

f75bec11491016ab1676d9ecdbcdeef0.jpg

As a Hamiltonian, I... kinda get it. The fountain has been there for a very long time (a form of it has been there since 1860), it's hardly the first thing that people think about when they think of Hamilton. They would have been much better to use something steel-related, and even if they wanted to keep the fire theme, they could have used a foundry bucket referencing the steel industry

hJR9Q.jpg

Or some of the steel flares that make up the skyline at night.

LO_dofasco44-1200x675.jpg

aerial-shots-stelco-steel-plant-footage-

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

4 hours ago, Magic Dynasty said:

Those last two teams are quite similar even before the fact that they both have VW as their sponsor.

There's a lot of similarity in Halifax and Pacific's visual identities, which makes sense since they're both ocean cities, albeit over 4400km apart. 

1 hour ago, nash61 said:

Here is the fountain in question. 

f75bec11491016ab1676d9ecdbcdeef0.jpg

As a Hamiltonian, I... kinda get it. The fountain has been there for a very long time (a form of it has been there since 1860), it's hardly the first thing that people think about when they think of Hamilton. They would have been much better to use something steel-related, and even if they wanted to keep the fire theme, they could have used a foundry bucket referencing the steel industry

Or some of the steel flares that make up the skyline at night.

I’ve only lived in Hamilton for about 3 years now.....Still learning these things 🙂 I didn’t realize that the fountain had been around that long! Cool!
I guess I need to do some research on it. 

I agree with the steel theme or maybe even Dundurn. 

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

2 hours ago, Jer15 said:

I’ve only lived in Hamilton for about 3 years now.....Still learning these things 🙂 I didn’t realize that the fountain had been around that long! Cool!
I guess I need to do some research on it. 

I agree with the steel theme or maybe even Dundurn. 

Here it is in the 1870s

L44H255.png

I feel like Dundurn Castle would have been hard to render.

TRxNe3C.jpg

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

9 hours ago, nash61 said:

I feel like Dundurn Castle would have been hard to render.

You have a point there I didn't think of that. Was only trying to come up with other landmarks.

Sorta off topic but I'm going down the rabbit hole of the fountain (probably more accurately the park itself) and I'm now going to retract my comment.

What I've learned this morning isn't really applicable to this thread (so I won't ramble on) other than the jersey design but the fountain and the park play a big part in the founding of the town. It makes sense. It's not just some random park with a big fountain "in the middle of the street" downtown. 

Thanks for pointing me in this direction.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

13 hours ago, DEAD! said:

The more I think about it, in my entire life, I cannot think of a distinct Hamilton architecture landmark.

There isn't one. Most people don't make it past the steel mills. The only real options that I can think of, aside from the Gore Park fountain, would be the Skyway Bridge (bridge is already used) or the Battlefield Monument, which is technically in Stoney Creek.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

On 8/1/2020 at 1:34 AM, nash61 said:

There isn't one. Most people don't make it past the steel mills. The only real options that I can think of, aside from the Gore Park fountain, would be the Skyway Bridge (bridge is already used) or the Battlefield Monument, which is technically in Stoney Creek.

Hamilton's landmark to me is that apartment building downtown that you can see perfectly from the mountain access. Anytime I've gone to Hamilton, that's one of the first things that stands out to me. 

• 1 month later...

Nothing great architecturally, but the "skyline" is dominated by the escarpment. I think a profile of that, with the orange glow coming from the lower side where the mills are, would have been cool.

They have their whole future to get to that, I imagine they wanted to establish that the identity isn't strictly "steel" fairly early on.

On 9/9/2020 at 1:39 PM, jonny24 said:

Nothing great architecturally, but the "skyline" is dominated by the escarpment. I think a profile of that, with the orange glow coming from the lower side where the mills are, would have been cool.

They have their whole future to get to that, I imagine they wanted to establish that the identity isn't strictly "steel" fairly early on.

But their name is literally "Forge". Their entire identity IS steel

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

On the pitch, I liked watching the league and its colors. I'm not bothered by the BFBS uniforms; after all, it's Canada. Not many 90-degree days except in rare instances. 

Also like seeing "Tim Horton's" on the front of a football kit.

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, jonny24 said:

There's probably a couple million of those stashed in childrens' closets across the country.

Yup. 

dfa33f5b-3c0d-4505-8a16-acd4622f4aa5.jpe

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

• 1 month later...

York9 has rebranded to York United:

YorkUnitedCrest_editorial.png

Kept the nine stripes and the trillium (the teeny tiny green thing in the crown) from the previous identity. Rundown of different elements here: https://canpl.ca/article/york-united-football-club-unveils-new-identity

The green and gold shades are a dark for my liking -- they could have been brightened to give the whole thing a little more contrast. The font seems a little wonky, too, particularly the N and the K.

Also unveiled a kit today. If I heard the live stream correctly, this is actually a clash/change/away kit, and the primary kit will be mostly white.

y5w7d4R.png

Couple of things: 
1) should have widened the U to work with the stripes better. The uprights should be centered in each stripe. 

2) The colors look washed out. They look a bit brighter on the jersey. 
3) If you're going to keep the trillium at least make it large enough that it can be seen, especially in your low contrast colors. The leaf atop the crown is also too small. 

4) "United" at least makes sense here, but I'm still real sick of it. 

5) Can you get to the 9 York municipalities via a US interstate? 

m1-1_s-2.gif

6) I just noticed the 2nd, darker green in the crown. So they've realized a need for more contrast and chose to only do it in that small spot. 
7) Line weights are all over the place. 

Summary: this is a generic, amateur logo. 

Archived