steve61

Canadian Premier League

So they all have black aways?  Well, that's dumb.

4 hours ago, Jer15 said:

Here's the "Nike speak" from Forge.

I don't really get the choice of the fountain.

ForgeFC-Away_Infographic-2.jpg

Here is the fountain in question. 

f75bec11491016ab1676d9ecdbcdeef0.jpg

As a Hamiltonian, I... kinda get it. The fountain has been there for a very long time (a form of it has been there since 1860), it's hardly the first thing that people think about when they think of Hamilton. They would have been much better to use something steel-related, and even if they wanted to keep the fire theme, they could have used a foundry bucket referencing the steel industry

hJR9Q.jpg

Or some of the steel flares that make up the skyline at night.

LO_dofasco44-1200x675.jpg

aerial-shots-stelco-steel-plant-footage-

4 hours ago, Magic Dynasty said:

Those last two teams are quite similar even before the fact that they both have VW as their sponsor.

There's a lot of similarity in Halifax and Pacific's visual identities, which makes sense since they're both ocean cities, albeit over 4400km apart. 

1 hour ago, nash61 said:

Here is the fountain in question. 

f75bec11491016ab1676d9ecdbcdeef0.jpg

As a Hamiltonian, I... kinda get it. The fountain has been there for a very long time (a form of it has been there since 1860), it's hardly the first thing that people think about when they think of Hamilton. They would have been much better to use something steel-related, and even if they wanted to keep the fire theme, they could have used a foundry bucket referencing the steel industry

Or some of the steel flares that make up the skyline at night.

I’ve only lived in Hamilton for about 3 years now.....Still learning these things 🙂 I didn’t realize that the fountain had been around that long! Cool!
I guess I need to do some research on it. 

I agree with the steel theme or maybe even Dundurn. 

2 hours ago, Jer15 said:

I’ve only lived in Hamilton for about 3 years now.....Still learning these things 🙂 I didn’t realize that the fountain had been around that long! Cool!
I guess I need to do some research on it. 

I agree with the steel theme or maybe even Dundurn. 

Here it is in the 1870s

L44H255.png

I feel like Dundurn Castle would have been hard to render.

TRxNe3C.jpg

9 hours ago, nash61 said:

I feel like Dundurn Castle would have been hard to render.

You have a point there I didn't think of that. Was only trying to come up with other landmarks.

Sorta off topic but I'm going down the rabbit hole of the fountain (probably more accurately the park itself) and I'm now going to retract my comment.

What I've learned this morning isn't really applicable to this thread (so I won't ramble on) other than the jersey design but the fountain and the park play a big part in the founding of the town. It makes sense. It's not just some random park with a big fountain "in the middle of the street" downtown. 

Thanks for pointing me in this direction.

The more I think about it, in my entire life, I cannot think of a distinct Hamilton architecture landmark.

Its weird to me that of all the teams Pacific FC is the most futuristic and trendy looking when Victoria itself larps as British so heavily. You'd think they'd lean into the more traditional soccer elements.

13 hours ago, DEAD! said:

The more I think about it, in my entire life, I cannot think of a distinct Hamilton architecture landmark.

There isn't one. Most people don't make it past the steel mills. The only real options that I can think of, aside from the Gore Park fountain, would be the Skyway Bridge (bridge is already used) or the Battlefield Monument, which is technically in Stoney Creek.

On 8/1/2020 at 1:34 AM, nash61 said:

There isn't one. Most people don't make it past the steel mills. The only real options that I can think of, aside from the Gore Park fountain, would be the Skyway Bridge (bridge is already used) or the Battlefield Monument, which is technically in Stoney Creek.

Hamilton's landmark to me is that apartment building downtown that you can see perfectly from the mountain access. Anytime I've gone to Hamilton, that's one of the first things that stands out to me. 

Nothing great architecturally, but the "skyline" is dominated by the escarpment. I think a profile of that, with the orange glow coming from the lower side where the mills are, would have been cool.

They have their whole future to get to that, I imagine they wanted to establish that the identity isn't strictly "steel" fairly early on.

On 9/9/2020 at 1:39 PM, jonny24 said:

Nothing great architecturally, but the "skyline" is dominated by the escarpment. I think a profile of that, with the orange glow coming from the lower side where the mills are, would have been cool.

They have their whole future to get to that, I imagine they wanted to establish that the identity isn't strictly "steel" fairly early on.

But their name is literally "Forge". Their entire identity IS steel

On 9/12/2020 at 10:57 PM, nash61 said:

But their name is literally "Forge". Their entire identity IS steel

You can forge other metals 😄

On the pitch, I liked watching the league and its colors. I'm not bothered by the BFBS uniforms; after all, it's Canada. Not many 90-degree days except in rare instances. 

Also like seeing "Tim Horton's" on the front of a football kit.

On 10/12/2020 at 10:45 AM, totc said:

Also like seeing "Tim Horton's" on the front of a football kit.

There's probably a couple million of those stashed in childrens' closets across the country.

8 hours ago, jonny24 said:

There's probably a couple million of those stashed in childrens' closets across the country.

Yup. 

dfa33f5b-3c0d-4505-8a16-acd4622f4aa5.jpe