Biggest lateral moves in sports history

MCM0313

So..."Biggest upgrades" and "Biggest downgrades" are already a thing on here. I figured I may as well start the only remaining thread in the series. In your opinion, which uniforms kept the quality close to the same level as their predecessors?

For me the classic example would be the lateral move made by the Denver Broncos in 1997. They went from good uniform to good uniform (in my opinion anyway) while changing the dark jersey color and radically altering their design. 

The 1996 Philadelphia Eagles were similar - big changes, but all in all went from middling to middling.

If there is a bad-to-bad lateral move...that one's a little trickier. I'm sure someone can fill us in though.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just about everything the New York Giants have ever done.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

There’s a lot of examples of things that would be great except for a small mistake that makes it lateral. Some might say the Jaguars new uniforms fall into this camp for example. I radically disagree.

for me, the Redskins adding gold pants in 2010 was GREAT... except the stripes didn’t match... and they wore them too much with white jerseys

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

As a random example off of the top my head, I feel that the Milwaukee Bucks would fall into this category.  They've sported a variety of very different color combos and looks throughout their history, but no look has seemed incredibly great or incredibly horrible.  A lot of their changes have seemed like change for the sake of change, and none of their changes have really left me thinking "huge upgrade" or "huge downgrade."

My reaction to pretty much every change they ever have made has been kind of like, "Oh, they changed their logo, color scheme, and font again. Okay, I guess this new one looks fine too.  Whatever."

8 hours ago, MCM0313 said:

So..."Biggest upgrades" and "Biggest downgrades" are already a thing on here. I figured I may as well start the only remaining thread in the series. In your opinion, which uniforms kept the quality close to the same level as their predecessors?

For me the classic example would be the lateral move made by the Denver Broncos in 1997. They went from good uniform to good uniform (in my opinion anyway) while changing the dark jersey color and radically altering their design. 

The 1996 Philadelphia Eagles were similar - big changes, but all in all went from middling to middling.

If there is a bad-to-bad lateral move...that one's a little trickier. I'm sure someone can fill us in though.

Bah gawd do we have different tastes.

1) I didn't love the pre '96 Broncos set, but even younger BBTV laughed at the navy set and felt bad for John Elway, who as a relatively older pro looked ridiculous in that get-up.  Major downgrade.

2) The Eagles original '96 set was a huge downgrade. They featured:

2a) eagle head on the home jersey sleeves, two stripes and no eagle head on the road

2b) solid black stripe on the green pants with eagle head on the hips

2c) asymmetrical wordmark under the collar'

2d) inconsistent trim between jerseys.

They actually made mods each of the first 3 or 4 years, before a pretty major revamp in '03 where IMO they finally made it almost perfect.

032917-wpvi-eagles-model-uniforms-1996-i

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, SCalderwood said:

As a random example off of the top my head, I feel that the Milwaukee Bucks would fall into this category.  They've sported a variety of very different color combos and looks throughout their history, but no look has seemed incredibly great or incredibly horrible.  A lot of their changes have seemed like change for the sake of change, and none of their changes have really left me thinking "huge upgrade" or "huge downgrade."

My reaction to pretty much every change they ever have made has been kind of like, "Oh, they changed their logo, color scheme, and font again. Okay, I guess this new one looks fine too.  Whatever."

I think the later Irish rainbow set (without the red) was pretty close to perfect.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Bah gawd do we have different tastes.

1) I didn't love the pre '96 Broncos set, but even younger BBTV laughed at the navy set and felt bad for John Elway, who as a relatively older pro looked ridiculous in that get-up.  Major downgrade.

2) The Eagles original '96 set was a huge downgrade. They featured:

2a) eagle head on the home jersey sleeves, two stripes and no eagle head on the road

2b) solid black stripe on the green pants with eagle head on the hips

2c) asymmetrical wordmark under the collar'

2d) inconsistent trim between jerseys.

They actually made mods each of the first 3 or 4 years, before a pretty major revamp in '03 where IMO they finally made it almost perfect.

032917-wpvi-eagles-model-uniforms-1996-i

Maybe a slight downgrade for Philly there. Their previous jerseys were too plain and just kind of meh for me.

Until '03 I thought it was a pretty substantial downgrade, though they did improve it a bit just about every year.  

The first time the jersey was shown was on ESPN, and it looked straight-up teal.  Then these photos made it look forest green.  The original seasons of it were all over the place depending on manufacturer, since multiple manufacturers were making replicas back then.  Wasn't really until they switched to Starter that it became more consistent, same with Puma, and then Reebok was able to really standardize it into the "midnight green" we all got used to, then it changed up again with Nike and their proprietary flat fabrics.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

4 hours ago, DeFrank said:

There’s a lot of examples of things that would be great except for a small mistake that makes it lateral. Some might say the Jaguars new uniforms fall into this camp for example. I radically disagree.

for me, the Redskins adding gold pants in 2010 was GREAT... except the stripes didn’t match... and they wore them too much with white jerseys

Didn’t match what exactly? They wear basically plain burgundy and plain white uniforms....

I wonder whether this board is too detail-aware for this topic.  Even with my Giants comment above, I could probably point to positives/negatives about their changes.  I just went "big picture" and felt like they've always looked good but never great.  But this is a board with many members who felt:

• The last Bucs logo (not uniform, but logo) tweak was a huge downgrade.  I bet fewer than 1% of Bucs fans even know it changed.
  • The last Vikings logo tweak was an improvement.  Again, I'd guess less than 1% of their own fans even know.
  • And the last Twins wordmark update was an improvement.  Maybe 5-10% of Twins fans (admittedly a guess based on my gut) knew that changed.

How many true "lateral moves" are there?

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

1 hour ago, OnWis97 said:

I wonder whether this board is too detail-aware for this topic.  Even with my Giants comment above, I could probably point to positives/negatives about their changes.  I just went "big picture" and felt like they've always looked good but never great.  But this is a board with many members who felt:

• The last Bucs logo (not uniform, but logo) tweak was a huge downgrade.  I bet fewer than 1% of Bucs fans even know it changed.
  • The last Vikings logo tweak was an improvement.  Again, I'd guess less than 1% of their own fans even know.
  • And the last Twins wordmark update was an improvement.  Maybe 5-10% of Twins fans (admittedly a guess based on my gut) knew that changed.

How many true "lateral moves" are there?

I actually thought about specifying that they be "major" or "noticeable" changes but didn't want to get into the whole debate of what did and didn't constitute those.

Washington's yellow pants would work sans stripes.  Then it's not an issue that the helmet, sleeve, and pants each have different patterns.  I prefer the helmet pattern to the sleeve, but really since it's relegated to an invisible cuff anyway, just lose it from there and the pants too.  White pants should go thin-burgundy, yellow, thin burgundy.

Yellow would look fine plain (Yellow, gold, and maybe silver are the only pants that I think are OK plain) or could go thin burgundy, white, thin burgundy.

Archived