NCAA football video game

CrimsonBull9584

As many of you already know, I still play NCAA Football 14 and can't wait for another game to come out. Not that it's likely with EA at this point, but a man can dream. That being said, one of the major issues I've always had with the NCAA franchise, is that beyond FBS, they don't really care about FCS and lower. Up until the release on the PS3 and XBOX 360, the game did use to include FCS teams, but dropped them completely when they did move to the new hardware. They eventually made Teambuilder as a was of making up for the lack of FCS teams, but it really didn't. Point is that FCS, D2, D3, NAIA, and whoever else didn't get any love and representation in the games.

Hypothetically speaking, should EA or another developer come out with a NCAA football video game, would it be feasible for them to include FCS, etc all teams in the game?  See what I'm thinking is that with the current generation hardware and beyond (PS5?) it should be possible to create the 600+ college football teams for play in the game. Wether this is on the disk or DLC, I think I can and should be done.

I'm curious what everyone else things, particularly those of you who know more about video gaming that I do. Is it indeed possible to do it and if so, would you want it? I think a game where you can play as any college team with properly recreated uniforms, stadiums and such would be great. But does anyone else find value in playing as a D3 school in a video game?

Then you should keep an eye out on the Gridiron Champions project being worked on (We have a thread on this game in The Lounge). Yes, the teams are generic but you can edit the teams to make them like the real life counterparts.

In a hypothetical sense... EA shouldn't touch the NCAA license. In the mind of many gamers, their brand is poisonous. Most, if not all, of the sport games they do are usually roster updates for $60. That's it. To many people, you can't really justify the price for a glorified roster update.

You mentioned the other levels of play... well, here's a crazy idea that may never work... but why not.

Have one game be made. This 'Core' game would have the FBS and FCS teams in the game. Stadiums, rosters, the whole thing. You sell this game for $40. Once the game launches, you work on DLC content that includes Division 2 schools, Division 3 schools and the NAIA. Once the content is complete, you add it to the game. An owner can either buy the content a la carte for $5 or can opt for the 'Season Pass' that includes all three packages for $20. Once all the DLC is done, the only thing the team needs to do with work on bugs and, once a year, update the rosters. This would prevent having to do a yearly release of the same thing.

1 hour ago, Seadragon76 said:

Then you should keep an eye out on the Gridiron Champions project being worked on (We have a thread on this game in The Lounge). Yes, the teams are generic but you can edit the teams to make them like the real life counterparts.

In a hypothetical sense... EA shouldn't touch the NCAA license. In the mind of many gamers, their brand is poisonous. Most, if not all, of the sport games they do are usually roster updates for $60. That's it. To many people, you can't really justify the price for a glorified roster update.

You mentioned the other levels of play... well, here's a crazy idea that may never work... but why not.

Have one game be made. This 'Core' game would have the FBS and FCS teams in the game. Stadiums, rosters, the whole thing. You sell this game for $40. Once the game launches, you work on DLC content that includes Division 2 schools, Division 3 schools and the NAIA. Once the content is complete, you add it to the game. An owner can either buy the content a la carte for $5 or can opt for the 'Season Pass' that includes all three packages for $20. Once all the DLC is done, the only thing the team needs to do with work on bugs and, once a year, update the rosters. This would prevent having to do a yearly release of the same thing.

I love your plan and it’s pretty much perfect in theory, but it’s virtually a 0% chance of it happening. If/when the NCAA series comes back, wheather by Gridiron Champions or someone else, they’d never go for one just making one game with a yearly DLC for uniforms/rosters because it’s not as much money. A yearly release can charge $50-$60, but a base game with a yearly DLC wouldn’t be able to charge as much, maybe $40 ish for the base and maybe $15-$20 for the yearly update. Yeah, you might get more sales of the base game with the lower start price, but in the long run a yearly release would bring in more, even if some people don’t buy the higher priced game. Companies are about money, even if they pretend to want to give a better customer experience they’re still after money

That's why I said it's a crazy idea that may never work because of what you said. Most of the bigger companies out there want that money and a game that is $60 to begin with will bring in more then a game that is $40.

But, I'm looking at this in the view of the gaming public. People who play video games today don't want to be fleeced by the game that comes out every year at $60 and all you get is a roster update out of it. People want choices and this plan would give them a choice of how to play: You want just the base game? Go for it. You want Division 2 schools? Add them.

Archived