Stetson University Unveils New Athletic Logo

GriffinM6

11 hours ago, stumpygremlin said:

I think it's recognizable as an "S" and a "hat" because you know that that's what's supposed to be there.

That's the problem.  You only know what it might be if you know what you're supposed to be looking for.

I'm fairly confident that if most of us were shown the logo with no contextual clues, we wouldn't be able to figure out what it was supposed to represent . . . or it would at least take a while to figure it out.

The hat is hard to make out because it is comprised mostly of the negative space.  More importantly, the S doesn't really read as an S . . . particularly in the first picture on a black background with a thick visible white outline.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Given the points in the corners and the wave shape in the middle, this looks more like the rough starting point of a replacement for this logo.

JACKSONVILLE-UNIVERSITY.jpeg

Just connect the right sides of the S and make the wave more dolphin-y.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

1 hour ago, leopard88 said:

Given the points in the corners and the wave shape in the middle, this looks more like the rough starting point of a replacement for this logo.

JACKSONVILLE-UNIVERSITY.jpeg

Just connect the right sides of the S and make the wave more dolphin-y.

It's funny you bring this up since they play in the same conference as us. 

Top Promo Spot #1

Personally, I think they should have gone with the less pointy S in the wordmark. That's modern without trying too hard. Then simply place the hat on the flat top of the S. 

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

16 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

Eh, I think it’s really trying too hard. It’s a bit too sharp all around and overly modern for modern’s sake.

Honestly, they were onto something two logos ago. Just clean it up and you’ve got it:

21222_full.jpg

I always had a soft spot for this logo. But the S is too much like Michigan State. If they did a modified block S or just something to stylize it differently it would be perfect.

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

On 5/3/2018 at 11:32 AM, Griffinmarlins said:

Last night, the college I attend unveiled a new athletic logo. Here is the old and new one-side by-side. 

Related imageDcPYbNcVQAEKPf0.jpg:large

I must say I'm not a huge fan. The logo is way too pointy. Hats aren't supposed to be intimidating. .

Related image

On 5/3/2018 at 11:53 AM, whitedawg22 said:

I like it better when it's not on a black background. The negative space of the hat in the "S" works a lot better.

Go_Hatters_new_logo_graphic.png

Excellent point.  The logo is very well done, but the design of it doesn't make sense unless you see it on a light background.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

12 hours ago, leopard88 said:

That's the problem.  You only know what it might be if you know what you're supposed to be looking for.

I'm fairly confident that if most of us were shown the logo with no contextual clues, we wouldn't be able to figure out what it was supposed to represent . . . or it would at least take a while to figure it out.

The hat is hard to make out because it is comprised mostly of the negative space.  More importantly, the S doesn't really read as an S . . . particularly in the first picture on a black background with a thick visible white outline.

I still don’t think it’s hard to figure out. I asked a dozen people who aren’t logo or design savvy and only two of them didn’t see both the hat and the S, but both of them saw one or the other.

That’s not to say it’s perfect. As mentioned previously, the composition makes a lot less sense than, say, an S with a hat on top, which would have been more fun in my opinion. On the other hand, though, forming the crown of the hat out of the white negative space allows the hat to always be white (the iconic American cowboy hat) and maintain an optimum light/dark relationship, so there’s good that comes with that decision, too. It also has a major limitation in that it works well on a white background, but not as well on a dark one. It’s tough to win ‘em all.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I might be in the minority but I find it a clever use of negative space. That being said, the execution is far from perfect and could use some refinement, like moving the lower half of the S upward so the hat takes up a higher percentage of the composition. Anything is better than their previous logo which was the epitome of clip art (an often overused term but here it’s fitting).

Archived