2018 NFL Season week by week uniform match-up combos: From HOF Game to Super Bowl LIII

canzman

6 hours ago, NFLfan10 said:

How are they terrible? They're the same as the white ones but black and provide more balance and visual appeal. I would never let matching socks be a reason to prefer white on white for any team.

And I would.  That, to me, is the absolute perfect reason to hate the blacks pants.  I hate the Saints black pants, I hate the Ravens black pants... black pants/black socks is the worst look in football.  So far out in front that I'd have to really think to decide what's number two.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know that I’m one of the few, but I really wish the Browns wore brown at home.  I get the orange number thing, but instead then designate the Color Rush top as the primary and pair it with white pants with normal brown/orange stripes.  Miami did minor tweaks this year... it wasn’t the 5 year full remake was it?  If Miami can tweak, then Cleveland should be allowed to do so as well.

18 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

And I would.  That, to me, is the absolute perfect reason to hate the blacks pants.  I hate the Saints black pants, I hate the Ravens black pants... black pants/black socks is the worst look in football.  So far out in front that I'd have to really think to decide what's number two.

Interesting. To me, the pants are just so much more prominent than the socks on any uniform that I have a hard time worrying about socks in most cases. Socks account for about 10% of the uniform, whereas pants account for about 40%. I'd sacrifice that 10% for colored pants pretty much any day. That's just how I look at it, but I get you.

1 hour ago, OleSmokey said:

I know that I’m one of the few, but I really wish the Browns wore brown at home.  I get the orange number thing, but instead then designate the Color Rush top as the primary and pair it with white pants with normal brown/orange stripes.  Miami did minor tweaks this year... it wasn’t the 5 year full remake was it?  If Miami can tweak, then Cleveland should be allowed to do so as well.

The color rush is even worse (no white, just orange number on brown). And yes, Miami was a 5 year wait. 

3 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Especially if they're stripe-less like those teams and the Jags are.

3 hours ago, NFLfan10 said:

Interesting. To me, the pants are just so much more prominent than the socks on any uniform that I have a hard time worrying about socks in most cases. Socks account for about 10% of the uniform, whereas pants account for about 40%. I'd sacrifice that 10% for colored pants pretty much any day. That's just how I look at it, but I get you.

Well, IMO, we really aren't just talking about the socks... it's the pants/socks combination, and they can both look worse in tandem.  Here's some examples of teams who have done it both the right way and the wrong way;

asockthing_zpskafcwmfr.png

Even the Dolphins' weird dark-stripe "solution" from 2013 is better than the leotard look. I'm not sure how anyone can look at these side by side and not say that the versions with a contrast of color between pants and socks aren't better.

The defining issue with non-contrast socks and pants is that they are, in essence, an optical illusion. For many of us, one of the important features that makes a football uniform look like an NFL football uniform is the tight pants with tube socks that meet just below the knee. When you get rid of the contrast between the pants and socks, however, it looks like they are wearing a fundamentally different garment altogether, what we often call yoga pants or leggings. The illusion that they're just wearing pants that come all the way down to the ankles is jarring and makes me feel like I'm looking at something that is less professional than an NFL uniform. I'd also argue that it just makes the uniform too bottom heavy in a lot of cases. A big example of this for me is the Lions away uniforms, which are way too blue on their bottom half for their own good.

26 minutes ago, Olmec said:

I find it fascinating that this topic is still being discussed 

It's serious business.

48 minutes ago, Gupti said:

The defining issue with non-contrast socks and pants is that they are, in essence, an optical illusion. For many of us, one of the important features that makes a football uniform look like an NFL football uniform is the tight pants with tube socks that meet just below the knee. When you get rid of the contrast between the pants and socks, however, it looks like they are wearing a fundamentally different garment altogether, what we often call yoga pants or leggings. The illusion that they're just wearing pants that come all the way down to the ankles is jarring and makes me feel like I'm looking at something that is less professional than an NFL uniform. I'd also argue that it just makes the uniform too bottom heavy in a lot of cases. A big example of this for me is the Lions away uniforms, which are way too blue on their bottom half for their own good.

Especially with the myriad of ways that the socks are worn these days. Are they a one piece sock with colored and white, a player wearing the stocking only, wearing both with the whites scrunched low, whites socks over colored compression gear, colored bands over white compression gear, stocking with white apathetic tape... At least with the contrast, it looks like a pro football uniform even with the different ways of wearing socks amongst team members. 

4 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Well, IMO, we really aren't just talking about the socks... it's the pants/socks combination, and they can both look worse in tandem.  Here's some examples of teams who have done it both the right way and the wrong way;

Even the Dolphins' weird dark-stripe "solution" from 2013 is better than the leotard look. I'm not sure how anyone can look at these side by side and not say that the versions with a contrast of color between pants and socks aren't better.

I miss when we did that. The only reason the Texans switched was because of a road losing streak ten years ago. That one battle red game two years ago where they wore red on blue with red socks made me miss it more. Especially now since the Titans decided to jack our look!

Navy pants with red socks at least makes us a navy and red team. But the Navy pants and socks, that just makes us the Chargers, and moreso the Rams, :censored:, and Hawks, with red numbers. 

1 hour ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Really?  You must be flabbergasted this website even exists.

Considering I've been visiting for the past 14 years, nope. It fascinates me because the Saints and Ravens have had their legging/leotard/etc. for quite a while now and have pretty much been panned around these parts. Now the Jags do it and well, here we are. 

13 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

I'm sorry those dolphins socks were terrible the teal on teal looks 1000x better, that coral blue or whatever they called  had no business on the uniforms.

Archived