2018 NFL Season week by week uniform match-up combos: From HOF Game to Super Bowl LIII

canzman

44 minutes ago, ARTnSocal said:

The Saints color rush uniforms . . Nicely designed yet incomplete.

Why are they wearing solid white socks?  Yikes!! ?

All they need are black or gold striped socks and they'd have one of the finest looking color rush uniforms in the NFL.  The Panthers look also ruined by having Carolina blue socks. These teams should just wear Dockers since they keep using socks whose color matches the pants.

I'm amazed as to why so many NFL teams are missing the boat when it comes to having the correct socks designed to compliment both the pants and the overall unform ..

GRRRRRRrrrrr  ?

IMG_1226_zpsmqx1scur.jpg~original

That was the point of Color Rush... Same color from Shoulders to toes.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, ARTnSocal said:

Joey Jets fan . . If you'll go back and reread the 3rd paragraph that'll answer your questions, unless your the type

that only likes to look at the pictures . . ?  

Kidding aside, when I first looked at that Poloroid I thought the Saints and Chargers were out on a farm somewhere. 

Apparently Pete Rozelle forced the Saints to toss the black helmets before the 1969 NFL 50th season began, as even back then teams were only allowed to have one helmet design/color.

IMG_1225_zpssorgq0bb.gif~original

Not so fast my friend.

In 1969 (yep, that same season), the Eagles wore white helmets at home (with their green jerseys) and green helmets on the road (with their white jerseys).

It's where I sit.

3 hours ago, shstpt1 said:

That was the point of Color Rush... Same color from Shoulders to toes.

I'm aware of that sir . . originally color rush was supposed to be color vs color matchups, but then the BILLS at JETS with the red vs green caused a problem for people who were color-blind and to them there was a clash. Then in the 2nd year of color rush the NFL allowed teams to have all white color rush sets. 

When NFL and AFL games were televised during the time that there were only black & white TV sets they had that same issue, so color vs color was phased out and the white jerseys were ushered in.

With official Color Rush games ending after last season I would have hoped that certain clubs (like the Saints) would have made a few modifications (like the socks), because the all-white color rush uniform of New Orleans is only the socks preventing theirs from being the ultimate NFL uniform set.

2 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Not so fast my friend.

In 1969 (yep, that same season), the Eagles wore white helmets at home (with their green jerseys) and green helmets on the road (with their white jerseys).

LoL . . Oh darn, I almost got past you ? 

Yeap .. you're correct about the Eagles.  Perhaps they allowed Philly to donn both helmets in 1969 as that was the NFL's 50 year anniversary season but their situation with the helmets was different from New Orleans' . . 

Here's a C & P from what I had read ages ago pertaining to New Orleans' black helmet:.  

In 1969 Saints owner John Mecom Jr. wanted a new look for his team's third NFL season. Since their inception, the Saints had worn beautiful gold numerals on white or black jerseys, gold pants and gold helmets with a black fleur de lis symbol on each side. But they were about to make the most controversial and short-lived uniform change in their history. For the 1969 pre-season, Mecom sent his troops out wearing black helmets with a gold fleur de lis on each side. It was a mistake. To begin with, Mecom had failed to register the black helmets with NFL office. The league's entire line of merchandise represented the Saints with gold helmets, so the league wouldn't license the black helmets. Faced with pressure from Pete Rozelle and the league office, and poor fan response, Mecom quickly decided to scrub the idea. He found himself with a locker room full of black Saints helmets. At the time, the NFL was still operating a type of farm system as feeders for NFL clubs. The Saints' farm team was the Richmond Roadrunners, coached by J.D. Roberts, who in 1970's would replace Tom Fears, becoming the Saints' second head coach. Mecom shipped the entire batch of black helmets to Richmond, and the Saints were back in their familiar gold helmets for the 1969 season opener against Washington.

So to summarize it all . . . New Orleans showed up for preseason games in 1969 wearing black helmets.  The slight problem: They'd failed to inform the NFL office about the switcheroo, leading to a big kerfuffle that resulted in the black helmets being shipped off to the junior-level team in Richmond upon the conclusion of their preseason games.

69saints1.jpg

blacksaint.jpg

36 minutes ago, ARTnSocal said:

LoL . . Oh darn, I almost got past you ? 

Yeap .. you're correct about the Eagles.  Perhaps they allowed Philly to donn both helmets in 1969 as that was the NFL's 50 year anniversary season but their situation with the helmets was different from New Orleans' . . 

Yeah - I wish I knew the story behind the Eagles helmets in 1969. Why only one year? I assume it is due to the licensing of the helmet, but then why did the NFL allow it for 1969?

It's where I sit.

21 hours ago, TSHARE18 said:

My guess is the Jags wear the teal or white pants at Dallas this week. The equipment manager stated they like to wear the all black in London, I think they wait until next week to go all black. It’s weird how we are going into the 10th game with the new set (4 preseason, 6 regular season) and they haven’t worn their team determined primary look of all black yet. 

Black jerseys

Teal pants

just announced by the team. 

Can’t wait!

Hey, maybe I missed something, but have the Bills released their uni schedule yet? Specifically, when they're going to wear their throwbacks? Because on the same program where the Jags had their equipment manager show off their black/teal combo for the week, he let it slip that they would have to wear color jerseys against the Bills because they would be wearing "white classic jerseys" against them (clearly the AFL throwbacks). Pretty sure the Bills had kept that a secret so far, correct?

5 hours ago, s3ahawkz said:

Jets going all white with gray facemasks to honor the super bowl team. That will be a weird look lol

I'm guessing not Kelly Green which they really should wear though. At least CR Jersey/White Pants with the grey facemask. On second, thought, 3 green would be a bad idea.

da0Lbhs.png

49 minutes ago, Gupti said:

Hey, maybe I missed something, but have the Bills released their uni schedule yet? Specifically, when they're going to wear their throwbacks? Because on the same program where the Jags had their equipment manager show off their black/teal combo for the week, he let it slip that they would have to wear color jerseys against the Bills because they would be wearing "white classic jerseys" against them (clearly the AFL throwbacks). Pretty sure the Bills had kept that a secret so far, correct?

Nope, you've missed nothing because the Bills have never released a uni schedule before.

The Equipment Mgr normally releases the full uniform set on Twitter on the Thursday afternoon before the game at one or both of the following:

@billsequipment   @buffalobills

From what I've heard they're tentatively planning to wear the all-white '65 throwbacks on MNF during Week 8 against New England, then again Week 16 in Miami while the Dolphins will be in their 1966 aqua over white throwbacks.

Don't know if they'll wear those silly looking monochrome red color-rush uniforms this year, I sure hope not. That can be done randomly as a replacement for when they notified the NFL they'd be wearing the royal blue jerseys. If there's a major snowstorm in the forecast I would think they'll wear 'em then as was done last season against the Colts.

They did point out this past summer that the NFL was now allowing teams to wear throwbacks 3 x per season, so perhaps that's what they have planned for when Jacksonville comes to Orchard Park in Week 12 on 25-Nov since they've already gone all-white with the regular set for the Week 2 home opener vs Carson Chargers.

Since they reverted back to the traditional look w/ the white helmets in 2011 they still haven't worn the white jerseys with blue pants for a home game, so that could also be a possibility for the JAX game.

46 minutes ago, simtek34 said:

I'm guessing not Kelly Green which they really should wear though. At least CR Jersey/White Pants with the grey facemask. On second, thought, 3 green would be a bad idea.

Okay, if the J-E-T-S are truly trying to honor the '68 Super Bowl team they'll wear the white jerseys and pants with Kelly green trim, not the current Forest green.

Since they're gonna wear gray facemasks what they SHOULD do is wear the old JETS helmet decal logo that's pointed on both ends, NOT the current one that's got that rounded oval-shape and the helmet decal should mounted on the helmet at a 45° angle, just as they were back in the days of Namath, Maynard, Sauer, and Snell.

IMG_1227_zpsbfcv3sid.jpg~original

Ambiguous, but official Broncos spokesman Jim Saccomano seems to be indicating that both the Rams and Broncos will at least be wearing "throwback" helmets this weekend. Not sure if it's mix and match with the new style jerseys (I can't imagine it wouldn't be in the case of the Rams), or if there's some sort of modified Color Rush (maybe with white pants for the Broncos) that will appear.

Or maybe Jim is just referring to the normal logos when he makes this tweet:

3 hours ago, Captain Poncho said:

Ambiguous, but official Broncos spokesman Jim Saccomano seems to be indicating that both the Rams and Broncos will at least be wearing "throwback" helmets this weekend. Not sure if it's mix and match with the new style jerseys (I can't imagine it wouldn't be in the case of the Rams), or if there's some sort of modified Color Rush (maybe with white pants for the Broncos) that will appear.

Or maybe Jim is just referring to the normal logos when he makes this tweet:

Hot dang, someone has got to teach this dummy how to twitter. Instead of making a tweet thread like anyone else would for his long, rambling thought process that he was on, he strung it all out into individual tweets bordered by ellipses as if that would connect them. It’s no wonder that someone would take this first one out of context as something meaningful regarding the logos this weekend.

Archived