2018 NFL Season week by week uniform match-up combos: From HOF Game to Super Bowl LIII

canzman

7 hours ago, 63Bulldogs63 said:

Cowboys should always be in white jerseys especially on thanksgiving. Their navy tops are horrible, even more so now that they've given in fully to nike technology. They were passable when they had that shimmer from previous manufacturer.

Cowboys Navy uniforms are way better than the white ones. The Navy uniforms have matching colors while the white uniforms have mismatching blues and grays. On Thanksgiving they should wear color rush jersey with gray pants and navy socks 

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

You have to remember that Southern California heat is nasty. New stadium having a roof means its less likely the Rams and Chargers will wear white at home.

Very good point! Thank you so much for pointing this out. I hate when the Chargers wear white at home and now the Rams did the same this season.

9 hours ago, AndrewMLind said:

I’ve lived 15 minutes away from where they’re building the stadium since early September and can’t say I’ve formed the opinion that the football season temperatures in Los Angeles are anything extraordinary. And it doesn’t seem to make a significant difference for either team in their current venues, or for USC and UCLA. 

There's a couple points here that are missed.

1. This year thus far has been an exception but there's usually a one to two week span in October to November when the Santa Ana winds blow like hell and it can get up to 100-110 degrees.  See: 2017 World Series Games 1 and 2.

2. College football has much more freedom when scheduling game times.  For the most part the Rams/Chargers are stuck with 1:30 PM.

3. Having an enclosed stadium can help mitigate the impacts of the somewhat frequent smoke from wildfires in the area, which is the current case throughout the state.

4. The standards for college and pro games when it comes to fan experience, player comfort, etc. are not at all comparable.

VmWIn6B.png

Saints and Vikings are scheduled to wear normal color uniforms. (Saints have veered off schedule all season though so who knows).  Jets are wearing color at home.

Chargers, Ravens, Broncos, Colts, Eagles are color rush
Bills, Lions are throwbacks
Cowboys, Bucs, and Bills are white at home.

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

4 hours ago, LMU said:

There's a couple points here that are missed.

1. This year thus far has been an exception but there's usually a one to two week span in October to November when the Santa Ana winds blow like hell and it can get up to 100-110 degrees.  See: 2017 World Series Games 1 and 2.

2. College football has much more freedom when scheduling game times.  For the most part the Rams/Chargers are stuck with 1:30 PM.

3. Having an enclosed stadium can help mitigate the impacts of the somewhat frequent smoke from wildfires in the area, which is the current case throughout the state.

4. The standards for college and pro games when it comes to fan experience, player comfort, etc. are not at all comparable.

I can’t speak to No. 1 because I haven’t been here for that, but 3. If the air quality was truly that bad, they’d cancel an indoor game, too. A number of basketball games across the state have been cancelled because of the fires. Though it should be noted the Woolsey Fire had no impact whatsoever on air quality in Inglewood. And 4. Honestly, college is much better when it comes to fan experience and the atmosphere of games. Having an indoor stadium is all about the ability to make money, as was pointed out earlier with the opportunity to host events like the Final Four, as well as having air conditioning for the rich people in suits who will treat the game like a business event rather than a sporting event.

1 hour ago, goforbroke said:

Saints and Vikings are scheduled to wear normal color uniforms. (Saints have veered off schedule all season though so who knows).  Jets are wearing color at home.

And there is much rejoicing. YAAY!

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

1 hour ago, goforbroke said:

Whooaaa this was misleading. 2 of them are the same team which is why I couldn't figure it out.

On 11/19/2018 at 3:15 PM, simtek34 said:

Yes, but no. For some reason, on the 1964 game, the Vikings wore White jerseys at home. The Lions never got the memo that that was happening, so it was White vs White. Refs and fans were having trouble seeing who was who and who to penalize and such. So the Vikings changed into their Purple Jerseys, but didn't change the pants, so it was Mono-Purple. After the game (Maybe?), Coach Norm Van Brocklin didn't want to see that combo anymore, and they never wore Purple Pants at all again until the 2006 Reebok Monstrosities.

After.jpg

OldSchoolVikings:

Yeah, the story was it was the first year the NFL allowed white at home as an option, and the Vikings decided to give the home crowd a look at their road uniform, which at the time included purple pants. The Lions either weren't informed, or forgot or something, and showed up in white also. They played the first quarter white on white, until someone could head crosstown to grab the purple home jerseys, causing the Vikings to go monochrome for the rest of the game.

As a side note, the Vikes' coach, Norm Van brocklyn hated how the team looked so much (he called them a bunch of Easter eggs) that he mothballed the purple pants permanently.

(Dammit, simtek beat me to it by seconds)

I had forgotten that my buddy's neighbor here in SoCal is an elder Vikings fans so I asked him about this after I had posted my inquiry on here after seeing the above 1964 Vikings monochrome-purple Poloroid photo.

Here's what I was told, and somewhat of a conflicting story from the two of you, but only somewhat;

In 1964 the Vikings decided to wear white jerseys over purple pants for every home game, not just one.  When the Lions came to Bloomington-MN (location of their old home stadium for those unaware) it was their 3rd or 4th home game and the Lions brought their usual roadies, white jerseys / silver pants and played dumb about it, so someone in their organization messed up because it wasn't the Vikes home opener or first home game that they wore white jerseys at home that season.  The prior opponents did bring their home colored-jersey uniforms to Minnesota.

So in the 1st qtr both teams were in white jerseys, the Lions in their silver pants and Vikes in purple pants.  As stated, everyone was having trouble seeing who was who so by the time the Viking equipment mgr's got the purple jerseys over to Metropolitan Stadium and to the Minnesota players it was around the start of the 2nd qtr and the Minnesota players then swapped jerseys just as stated, and left the purple pants on.

They continued to wear white over purple for the remainder of the '64 season at home games but the purple pants were abandoned by the start of the 1965 regular season. He never mentioned anything about Norm Van Brocklin hating them, but I'd assume it took the monochrome look to make him realize it, so that's also interesting to know.

That must've been quite a odd site to see. The first couple of Polaroids taken the 1st qtr, before the Vikings swapped their jerseys from white to purple. Ya can't see any Lions in the Fran Tarkenton photo, but credit to the Vikings for knowing to wear white stripped socks when wearing purple pants. They should've left a note to be opened in 40 years about that. Haha. 🙂

Fourth and final photo obviously taken after the jersey swap.

2018-06-19_11-51-51.jpg

3c7f83e243f39104063602279fa56c7c.jpg

Swapping jerseys on the sideline before the start of the 2nd qtr:   

3425969815_bea5b242a2_o.jpg

3426779640_3dcc827a9f_o.jpg

20 hours ago, FSUViking said:

When did the Bears go from black to navy blue? Mid-90's??

They've always been navy.  Granted, somebody beat me to the punch, but it's always been navy.  Halas wanted to honor his Alma mater U of I, after all.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

On 11/19/2018 at 10:06 AM, NFLfan10 said:

They wore them in 2016 so probably. And yes, this is shaping up to be another weekend with some unwatchable games. I thought the rule was you could wear alternate or color rush collectively up to 3 times, but several teams seem to have broken that rule already.

If the Saints do in fact wear these black jersey throwbacks, then yes, they were kept in mothballs since 2016.

Yet, if they do wear them my only issue is . . . WHY OH WHY couldn't they have worn those socks with the white on white edition?

It would have looked incredible!!

9724578-glover-quin-coby-fleener-nfl-det

5bb157149ac8a.image.jpg?resize=1200,800

5 hours ago, goforbroke said:

I would have thought Bills would wear white at Miami next week

1 hour ago, ARTnSocal said:

If the Saints do in fact wear these black jersey throwbacks, then yes, they were kept in mothballs since 2016.

Yet, if they do wear them my only issue is . . . WHY OH WHY couldn't they have worn those socks with the white on white edition?

It would have looked incredible!!

9724578-glover-quin-coby-fleener-nfl-det

5bb157149ac8a.image.jpg?resize=1200,800

This should be the Saints' permanent look, minus the black socks and gold pants. The gold and white is just beautiful.

7 hours ago, goforbroke said:

5 hours ago, buzzcut said:

And there is much rejoicing. YAAY!

4 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Thank you.

He didn't mention anything about pants though...

They have never worn all purple under Zimmer so that's a good sign. With this set when they wore them against GB in 2013, Leslie Frazier was the coach.

That reminds me of the story of the previous set that was meant to be white over purple on the road like they do currently but in 7 years of that set they usually wore all white, and only wore purple pants a few times (preseason and 2 regular season games in 06, Preseason and 1 mono-Purple game in 07) because Brad Childress hated the purple pants. They weren't seen again until 2010 when the team was on the verge of mutiny against him and decide to wear them for back to back games on purpose (once with each jersey) because they knew he hated them.

Archived