RBI Baseball

MilSox

AT4o3s.png

I'm working on a few hacks of RBI baseball for the NES.  The original only included 8 teams, plus two all star teams.  Expanding the field to include 30 clubs presents a few problems given the limited amount of colors on the 8-bit system.  Especially when it comes to the clubs that wear red and blue.  In many instances, I took inspiration from a teams past (It made far more sense to put the Marlins in white and teal, for example, then trying to add another orange and black team).  In others, such as the Angels and Twins, I simply used the colorway from the 1987 original.

The teams are organized horizontally by division and city:
AL East: Baltimore, Boston, New York, Tampa Bay. Toronto
AL Central: Chicago, Cleveland, Detroit, Kansas City, Minnesota
AL West: Houston, LA, Oakland, Seattle, Texas
NL East: Atlanta, Miami, New York, Philadelphia, Washington
NL Central: Chicago, Cincinnati, Milwaukee, Pittsburgh, St. Louis
NL West: Arizona, Colorado, LA, San Diego, San Francisco

13 hours ago, neo_prankster said:

That's totally awesome. I'd like to see a Tecmo Bowl spin on the current NFL looks.

They do update Tecmo Super Bowl every year, FYI. I'll see once if I can find the info.

XcryMwi.png

I absolutely loved this game as a kid. The one thing I don't like is St. Louis. They lost their white/red to Boston, and Boston lost their gray/red to Washington. I'd rather see St. Louis and Boston keep their original looks, and Washington somehow get something different.

3 hours ago, Dan O'Mac said:

I absolutely loved this game as a kid. The one thing I don't like is St. Louis. They lost their white/red to Boston, and Boston lost their gray/red to Washington. I'd rather see St. Louis and Boston keep their original looks, and Washington somehow get something different.

That's a fair point.  I think I originally had them in red/navy (the opposite of what I did for the Indians).  But it didn't make sense to keep Detroit in their original black/white with the White Sox in the game, so I gave them navy/white figuring the Yankees looked better in navy/gray anyway.  Only that would lead to a lot of gray vs gray matchups with Boston.  Long story short... a lot of butterfly effect in play.

None of this is set in stone, so I might just go with my original plan to swap Boston and St. Louis' original looks.  Or maybe just swap what I did for Detroit and the Yankees. I originally set out to have all the original teams keep their colors, but that would also entail Detroit looking more like the White Sox and Houston looking more like Milwaukee.

2 hours ago, slapshot said:

Why not add pinstripes for New York and Chicago? And for Boston, making the hat and belt blue would differentiate it a bit from a few other solid red teams.

Basically, all the teams use the same sprite model. So I couldn't add pinstripes without them appearing on all the teams.

The hat and belt thing might be possible though. I'll have to play around with the graphics pallette a bit because that would be a game changer.

Archived