For Mom, All MLB Teams Wearing Pink

For Mom, All MLB Teams Wearing Pink

May 13, 2018 - 16:35 PM

To celebrate Moms everywhere, Major League Baseball players, coaches, and umpires will once again don pink uniforms and accessories today for Mother’s Day. Unlike the last two seasons, jerseys will be the usual team design but they will have MLB’s […]

Read More...

33 minutes ago, Old School Fool said:

You can't be serious.

Pink is a great color and the idea that it's only for girls is a thing of the past.

Pink was historically not a "girls" colour. If anything,  the idea that pink is NOT a girls colour IS a thing of the past.

I saw, I came, I left.

4 hours ago, joey joe joe jr. shabadoo said:

They really overdo it. A pink ribbon, pink on the socks or cleats somewhere...that's fine. But I don't like it when it overpowers the uni.

Learn from the NFL who greatly scaled down Pinktober after an avalanche of complaints

I have a mother who's a breast cancer survivor and she sees it as weird and unnecessary. 

Well, most of those complaints were “you aren’t donating the money like you said you would.”

Yes, the breast cancer promotion is weird and unnecessary.  But that doesn’t mean the color shouldn’t ever be worn. 

7 hours ago, daveindc said:

If the WNBA ever puts a team in Florida, they should be called the Flamingos and wear pink and black. I don't think pink could ever be a part of a men's pro team color scheme though.

flamingos-e1487798613161.jpg?w=600&h=542

This is what the Marlins' original owner wanted them to be called and to look like until he was convinced otherwise by someone who told him teal was gonna be a popular color in the 90's. 

I like that they kept the uniforms virtually untouched unlike past years... I didn't like this year's caps specifically but I get why they do the caps thing and I can live with them... the socks are whatever and I hate that the left sock and the right sock are different, that only works for the stars and stripes socks if at all... the pink undershirts I'm torn on as some look horrendous but some look fairly good in limited amounts with a few uniforms... the cleats and bats and other accessories like batting gloves, wrist bands, arm sleeves, and catcher's gear in pink? THAT is what I think looks best and I enjoy those. More of the pink accessories and less of tampering with the uniforms themselves PLEASE. I also like a few of the little pink touches around the ballparks like this gem on the Marlins' pitchers mound...

Image result for marlins mothers day mounds

So to sum it up I think this is ok...

Image result for mlb mother's day 2018

Image result for mlb mother's day 2018

But this is too much...

Related image

9 hours ago, daveindc said:

If the WNBA ever puts a team in Florida, they should be called the Flamingos and wear pink and black. I don't think pink could ever be a part of a men's pro team color scheme though.

flamingos-e1487798613161.jpg?w=600&h=542

heat-city-edition.jpg

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

9 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

You can't be serious.

Pink is a great color and the idea that it's only for girls is a thing of the past.

:rolleyes:

And yet pro teams only wear it for occasions associated with women. You act as if I said something outrageous. Google image "girl clothing" or "baby girl clothing", and 80% of it is pink. Not the same for boys. Things haven't changed THAT much.

If anything, i can see salmon worked into a color scheme. Hot pink, idk...

5 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

This is what the Marlins' original owner wanted them to be called and to look like until he was convinced otherwise by someone who told him teal was gonna be a popular color in the 90's. 

Interesting. I always remember the Marlins being that first team to really kick off the teal craze.

But a nice salmon and black could've worked for the "Florida Flamingos".

13 hours ago, Cujo said:

No special jerseys -- not to mention, the hats and accessories didn't even match.

MLB put virtually no effort into Mom's Day this year.

650x366

FWIW, I don’t think the White Sox look that bad. It helps that pink is often paired with black and gray. 

55 minutes ago, daveindc said:

:rolleyes:

The Pensacola Blue Wahoos say hello:

carolyn.jpg

...joined with the ABA’s Miami Floridians:

402585_10150567735904124_284300559123_88

Miami-Floridians-32-Shaquille-O-27Neal-B

...and Palermo:

Palermo-pink-kit.jpg

Pink, no matter the saturation, can totally work as a men’s sports color. Judging by your post history (e.g., accusing the Portland Beavers name of being “soft” and “non-threatening”), I’d argue that you prescribe to a machismo-heavy definition of masculinity that eschews anything “girly.” This can be unhealthy.

1 hour ago, SFGiants58 said:

Pink, no matter the saturation, can totally work as a men’s sports color. Judging by your post history (e.g., accusing the Portland Beavers name of being “soft” and “non-threatening”), I’d argue that you prescribe to a machismo-heavy definition of masculinity that eschews anything “girly.” This can be unhealthy.

You must have my "post history" confused with someone else's, because I've said nothing even close to those quotes about the name Portland Beavers. I remember saying it was goofy and lacked grace. 

And when I said "pro sports", I was referring to the big four. We already know about soccer. Those other teams you mentioned don't look all that great either, imo. I just don't think we'll see a team adopting pink in the near future because of how the color is viewed by SOCIETY. I could be wrong, which is why I opened up the dialog to see people's opinions.

And to say that pink being associated with women is a thing of the past is a little over-the-top. Maybe it will change in the future, but it hasn't yet.

On second thought, maybe @Old School Fool's Raiders might look good in a pink and black redesign for their move to Vegas. Let me google image pink Raiders to see what comes up and how it looks:

Image result for pink raiders//images.footballfanatics.com/FFImage/thumb.aspx?i=/productimages/_3020000/altimages/ff_3020625alt1_full.jpg&w=600Image result for pink raidersRelated imageImage result for pink raidersImage result for pink raidersImage result for pink raiders

I think it would look pretty good!

18 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

...and Palermo:

Palermo-pink-kit.jpg

Hopefully this is what Manchester United's away kits look like next year. The color will be lighter but PBB is better than PWW.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Archived