Non-Referencing of Nickname in logos

B-Rich

Browns fit into #4 correct? Not abstract but there is no reference to the nickname (other than Brown being a team color) or city. Even the alternates, the dawg (not based on the team nickname) and Brownie the Elf fall short of directly representing Cleveland, Paul Brown, or the "Brown Bomber" Joe Louis.

Packers are #3 as well. Indians will probably be #3 next year.

Blazers have one of the best and most unique logos, as the meaning behind it is to evoke the game of 5 on 5 itself.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/15/2018 at 9:45 PM, monkeypower said:

9789_kootenay_ice-primary-2018.png

I'm not sure what category these would fit under because they're not the nickname nor the location and definitely not the workmark/intials. I also don't think it's abstract enough, so maybe there's another category for "animal-type logos that don't really tie into the nickname" because I'm pretty sure there's more of those to be found.

As MCM0313 mentioned, the use of a yeti as a design element in the logo for a team named the Ice is fitting, as the cryptozoological creatures are said to live in snowy, icy habitats. Further, in the case of this particular logo, a word mark of the team name "ICE" has been incorporated into the design in the form of shaded areas in the yeti's fur.     

On 5/17/2018 at 1:38 AM, Brian in Boston said:

As MCM0313 mentioned, the use of a yeti as a design element in the logo for a team named the Ice is fitting, as the cryptozoological creatures are said to live in snowy, icy habitats. Further, in the case of this particular logo, a word mark of the team name "ICE" has been incorporated into the design in the form of shaded areas in the yeti's fur.     

Aah, I just noticed that! Nifty!

Archived