Jacksonville Jaguars uniform analyst and review

a-a-ron_balaky

A few months ago the Jags came out with a new uniform set. The Jags are my second fave team behind the Bucs and I was curious about them. They were revealed and had very mixed reception. I decided to save my judgment until I've seen more of it. I may do this with the Titans who also got a big overhaul at some other point. After letting it marinate and doing research on what NIKE and the Jags organization wanted from these I've come to a solid conclusion. My opinion may change when I see them on field but for now I feel I've seen enough of them

Helmet- The helmet is amazing. It is simple but looks beautiful. I'm glad they didn't go matte because I really think matte black helmets look kind of cheap compared to colored ones. overall 10/10 

Jersey- So I am very mixed about these jersey sets. On one hand I appreciate the clean look but on the other hand it just looks so boring. I don't think clean and boring are synonymous but these don't invoke any feeling out of me. Everything about these just screams 'fine'. The numbers are okay. I prefer the old font but these are okay I think they look a bit too wide but it is serviceable. There is very little detail to them to talk about. I don't mind the tiny jaguar head on the chest but it also looks kind of awkward. I don't mind patches but with teams like the Steelers or the Jets the patches look much more natural. Here with the jaguars it doesn't work for me. The JAGS patch honestly looked much better as a patch and here it felt like cheap NFL branding. I do prefer it over a big wordmark above the numbers though. The numbers have embezzled trim that matches the color of the jerseys but it isn't noticeable from afar. I also think the cuffs of the sleeves look rather strange with the colored tips. It is even stranger as close up they have these claw marks but they aren't noticeable so it is whatever 5/10

Pants and socks- Again not much to talk about very plain. The back of the pants have this weird teal half stripe for some reason. The socks do look nice with the teal stripe at the bottom but that is it 5/10 

So my final grade is a 6.6/10. It is an okay look for now but it definitely feels like an over correction of the previous. They are kind of disappointing especially with all the talk of tradition and makes it more annoying when you watch the documentary on them. Some direct quotes from it 

'We have three players who should be in the HoF... And with these new uniforms we want people to think back to these players' 

'The teal is the heart of the brand' 

'The uniforms are simple, bold, traditional and distinct' 

It just feels like they are saying one thing and doing another. They want to essentially combine the past and present but gives a look that is nothing like the old school design. They say teal is the heart of the brand but make black the primary. They say they are simple, bold, traditional and distinct but only one of those fits the description. I honestly feel the Jags should embrace crazy designs but also be good. They are a 90s team with a unique color pallet it is kind of silly to act like they are a founding NFL team. Teams like the Giants can have simple uniforms because they are an old school team the Jags aren't. I understand the reason but I just feel they went from one extreme to another. Now how would I fix them?

- Use the old font. It looked good and fit the branding. It is also basically an updated version of the older rounded font 

- Have gold and teal/black trim on the number

- Remove the jaguar head from the chest and move it to the front of the pants

- Perhaps add some kind of claw mark striping on the sleeve caps and pants. Maybe even introduce an updated version of their full body jaguar logo

- Have teal be the primary

I just personally feel these uniforms are a decent start but take themselves way too seriously. I saw someone on reddit do an analyst on the old set and he said the biggest problem is they lacked an identity. To me these uniforms have even less identity and persists with the problem. Honestly the old set was just a few tweaks from being perfect just use a full black helmet and remove some of the excess stuff and they'd have been amazing

In summary they are perfectly fine and should definitely add onto them in the future and embrace the teal and gold instead of black and white

Archived