Wideright updates the NFL

WideRight

Thought I would take my shot at "fixing" the Jags, Titans and then maybe a few other NFL teams that just don't feel right to me.

First up, the Jags.  They want simple, so I give them a simple uniform but not so simple as to look like a Div-2 college.   Teal is the primary, black the secondary, and if they feel they must, they can go unitard with all black or all white on a hot August day.  I envision the primaries as White jersey-black pants and teal jersey-white pants. Note the angled stripes are on the sleeve cuff, pants and socks. 

kAVzLvl.png

Love it. I think the Jags change uniforms way too often, personally and I was never a huge fan of that dual-tone helmet.

This looks very clean and professional. Awesome work as always.

One thing I kinda always wanted, and this isn't a criticism, just an unsolicited opinion, would be jaguar print in the sleeves and pant-stripes. Cincinnati uses tiger stripes very well, and it seemed a bit odd to me that Jacksonville never did a spots pattern.

I had done a previous design with a jaguar print in it, but for this year's version I wanted to follow the understood premise that Coughlin wanted a simpler uniform for the Jags.  Here is the earlier version I had created a few years back (notice the older Jag logo and different teal).  This is also back when I would use a dark grey instead of black for the color because I thought the black blotted out the shadows/stitching/etc.  I don't do that any more because it really does look grey on screen. 

1RzMHZO.jpg

Ew9ZpOT.jpg

The Second reimagination are the Tennessee Titans.   I really liked their pre-NIKE look and while I thought it made sense to add a subtle nod to the sword logo through the helmet and pant stripes, I kept most of what I liked about the originals.  Sticking with the light blue as primary and broadened out the yolk a bit, but much of the look is in line with their earlier design rather than the new "Navy & grey" focus of the new uniforms. 

QcdZjLw.png

Next up are the Cleveland Browns.  This team needs to get back to something more traditional.  So, what I have done is:

1. Returned to a softer orange.

2. Tried to use a consistent striping pattern in all elements

3. Single color numbers & block font

4. Use the B-in-Football logo as the primary, no more helmet-as-logo.

Not the flashiest, but I think it is what works for the Brownies, and, of course, they can go all white if they choose, or use the orange pants with the brown jersey. 

B2TCYeh.png

Next up?  Will it be the sadly mismatched Rams, the alarm-clock fonted Buccs or the overdone Bengals? 

35 minutes ago, WideRight said:

Next up are the Cleveland Browns.  This team needs to get back to something more traditional.  So, what I have done is:

1. Returned to a softer orange.

2. Tried to use a consistent striping pattern in all elements

3. Single color numbers & block font

4. Use the B-in-Football logo as the primary, no more helmet-as-logo.

Not the flashiest, but I think it is what works for the Brownies, and, of course, they can go all white if they choose, or use the orange pants with the brown jersey. 

B2TCYeh.png

Next up?  Will it be the sadly mismatched Rams, the alarm-clock fonted Buccs or the overdone Bengals? 

Rams please!

Congrats TJSC, the next redesign is, in fact, the Los Angeles Rams.   For the Rams I wanted to go back to the Rams I grew up with, the Ferragamo, Flipper Anderson and then Dickerson Rams.  I loved the horn pattern sleeves, but I also wanted to keep some modern elements and harken back to their yellow jersey days as well.   So, what do we end up with?

1. Modern numbers 

2. Darker blue than in the 80's-90's but paired with the athletic gold instead of the more metallic St. Louis gold.

3. The old shoulder horns are back.

4. A yellow alternate jersey.

5. New, angular pant stripe, to keep the theme, but also allow room for the Ram-Head logo on the pants.

6. Just a touch of white added to the helmet horns to add depth and maybe just a bit of a reminder of the Navy-White period. 

Hope you enjoy them. 

65U6E4W.png

Our next task, find a happy medium between the Sam Wyche/Boomer Esiason look and the Andy Dalton/Ochocinco look of the Bengals. 

I really dig this Rams look, but I do have a minor nitpick: I don’t like the white on the helmet (or the logo horn for that matter). I understand your reasoning behind it, to add depth, but there’s no white on the blue or yellow jerseys or pants at all, so white on the helmet throws it off a bit for me. I’d say to either remove the white on the helmet and logo or add the white to the sleeve horns, pant stripes, and number outlines. 

For the Bengals I wanted to tone down what I view as an excess of elements while preserving those components which I believe work well.  So, what we end up with is:

1. A return to a more traditional number font and no drop shadow,  I chose a UConn font with rounded top & bottom lines.  Not entirely the classic block, but less "curve" than the current number font. .

2. Elimination of the side panels on the jersey, but retaining the sleeves as a black/orange striping instead of just a strip on the shoulders (Esison era).

3. Retained the angular stripe pattern on the pants and the use of white as part of the stripe pattern.  

4. White & Black jerseys are the primaries, with orange as an alt. 

Next up for me, tweaking the Buccs because they are about 1-2 significant changes away from a very good look. 

c8qr5Jq.png

Before I move on to the Buccs, I did take jn8's ideas into consideration and agree that there needs to be some white in the Rams' uniforms to align wih the accents i put into the helmet logo.  So version 2 of the Rams changes the numbers and adds white to the pant stripe. 

CpI7m3H.png

And for the Buccs I really only made a few changes to the current set to eliminate those elements which bug me. 

1. Pewter, when presented as a dull or matte finish on jerseys and pants, is just murky grey, not a good color, so the shoulder yokes and pants need to use

a metallic sheen material to provide the same pewter look as the helmet.  I attempted to convey that.

2. Created a new wordmark, something a bit more "Piratey".

3. Got rid of the "alarm clock" number font.  Tried a bunch of options and the Jags current font seemed to work the best, so that is what I went with. 

4. Decided to go with 3 sets of pants, a white, a pewter, and for the odd occasion a black pair. 

PoJwxEj.png

Next up, the Seahawks.  I really dislike the current set, and much prefer the 2-blue Hasselbeck era look or the 1980's silver, blue & green, so expect some callbacks to those eras. 

1. I'd rather there be no white on the Rams jersey at all. It'll be a cleaner look, and it'll look better too.

2. I believe they call themselves the "Bucs", with one C. (as seen on their wordmark)

3. I'd fond a better font than a vertically-stretched version of the Jaguars number font. Yes, the alarm clock numbers need to go, but considering that you changed the wordmark font to something more "piratey", then the number font should follow suit.

4. Yes, this is personal opinion, but the Buccaneers should wear orange. I also dislike the shoulder yoke you have, but it could work.

tinysig.jpg

20 hours ago, WideRight said:

And for the Buccs I really only made a few changes to the current set to eliminate those elements which bug me. 

1. Pewter, when presented as a dull or matte finish on jerseys and pants, is just murky grey, not a good color, so the shoulder yokes and pants need to use

a metallic sheen material to provide the same pewter look as the helmet.  I attempted to convey that.

2. Created a new wordmark, something a bit more "Piratey".

3. Got rid of the "alarm clock" number font.  Tried a bunch of options and the Jags current font seemed to work the best, so that is what I went with. 

4. Decided to go with 3 sets of pants, a white, a pewter, and for the odd occasion a black pair. 

PoJwxEj.png

Next up, the Seahawks.  I really dislike the current set, and much prefer the 2-blue Hasselbeck era look or the 1980's silver, blue & green, so expect some callbacks to those eras. 

Why is the placement of the orange and black outlines different on the jerseys? 

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

They're the same order, but inside out. Red, orange, black white for home,

White, black, orange, red for road.

My only issue with Tampa Bay has always been the colors. A lot of teams use red, and right off the bat, that makes it difficult to establish a really stand-out uniform. I actually like the pewter, as I felt it fit really well with their brand.

What I think kills Tampa is that their colors are red and orange. Two colors right next to each other on the color wheel make color contrast difficult.

Personally, and this is left field, but if you have a pirate team, own it. Black, brown, pewter, and gold. But if you have to have red, maybe more of a wine red. And if you have to have orange, maybe a dull ochre or tan.

Not that that should be your direction. That's just my own criticism of the Bucs; I've always hated their color scheme. Your design looks awesome.

1 hour ago, Artisan219 said:

They're the same order, but inside out. Red, orange, black white for home,

White, black, orange, red for road.

Good catch, Artisan219.  That is what I was shooting for, inverting the color order between the two. 

Archived