Bruins

Players Who Played w/ Both Sides of a Rivalry

Recommended Posts

Guys who played for Knicks and Nets

Phil Jackson

Bernard King

Michael Ray Richardson

Ray Williams

Maurice Lucas

Anthony Mason

Xavier McDaniel

 Chris Childs

Buck Williams

Stephon Marbury

Keith Van Horn

Jason Kidd

Kenyon Martin

Dikembe Mutombo

Jeremy Lin

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Martin Gerber and Damian Rhodes played for both the Leafs and Senators. Phaneuf has already been mentioned.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jacoby Ellsbury comes to mind, having played for the Red Sox and Yankees.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/5/2018 at 3:26 PM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

 

Dave Jennings punted for both the Giants and the Jets.

Image result for dave jennings giants  Image result for dave jennings jets

 

The Giants and Jets aren’t really rivals though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, rxmc89 said:
On 6/5/2018 at 6:26 PM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Dave Jennings punted for both the Giants and the Jets.

Image result for dave jennings giants   Image result for dave jennings jets

 

The Giants and Jets aren’t really rivals though.

 

 

Because I am An Old, I don't really speak this language; but I believe that the kiddies say "lolwut".

Ever since the first pre-season meeting between the teams in the autumn of 1969, following the Jets' Super Bowl victory, the rivalry has been a part of both teams' cultures. That pre-season game ended in a resounding Jets victory, which led to Giants firing head coach Allie Sherman before the start of the regular season. The first regular-season meeting between the teams in 1970 featured a wild bench-clearing brawl, and a Giants win.  The Giants' owner Wellington Mara commented that facing the Jets was special, saying: "you’ve got to be champions of your neighbourhood before you think of conquering the world."  And the 1974 matchup, which was won by the Jets in the first regular-season overtime game in NFL history, made the rivalry even more intense.

So you need to get out of here with that "aren't really rivals" stuff.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

 

 

Because I am An Old, I don't really speak this language; but I believe that the kiddies say "lolwut".

Ever since the first pre-season meeting between the teams in the autum of 1969, following the Jets' Super Bowl victory, the rivalry has been a part of both teams' cultures. That pre-season game ended in a resounding Jets victory, which led to Giants firing head coach Allie Sherman before the start of the regular season. The first regular-season meeting between the teams in 1970 featured a wild bench-clearing brawl, and a Giants win.  The Giants' owner Wellington Mara commented that facing the Jets was special, saying: "you’ve got to be champions of your neighbourhood before you think of conquering the world."  And the 1974 matchup, which was won by the Jets in the first regular-season overtime game in NFL history, made the rivalry even more intense.

So you need to get out of here with that "aren't really rivals" stuff.
 

 

They’re in different conferences, have never met in the Super Bowl, and only play each other in a meaningful game once every four years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, rxmc89 said:

They’re in different conferences, have never met in the Super Bowl, and only play each other in a meaningful game once every four years.

 

None of which prevents them from being big rivals.

The teams face each other every year in the pre-season.  As noted, this has resulted in the firing of a coach in 1970.  It has also resulted in accusations (by fans, not so much by players) of dirty play when Phil Simms was injured and lost for the season in the pre-season game of 1982.

The Jets' Super Bowl win after the 1968 season, followed by their win in the teams' first pre-season meeting, were considered by Giant fans to be humiliating events; and the Jets assumed the dominant position.  Namath and company continued to entertain through the mid-1970s, while the hapless Giants were told by the City that they would not be welcome in the refurbished Yankee Stadium, and then floundered at the Yale Bowl.  The City and the Yankees pushed the Giants into the arms of a welcoming New Jersey, where the bungling continued.  The early Meadowlands years are remembered for an airplane towing a banner that lamented "15 years of lousy football", and of course for "The Fumble" by Joe Pisarcik and Larry Csonka. 

Jet fans could continue to feel superior through the early 1980s, as the Sack Exchange dominated, and the team looked to be on the verge of a championship, making the AFC Championship game in 1982.  But, after the 1986 season in which the Giants won their first Super Bowl, the Jets' identity resumed its inferiority.  The Jets were playing their home games in a stadium named for the Giants, a state of affairs which only underscored the team's secondary status. 

Despite the fact that the new stadium is named for neither team, the Giants, winners of multiple Super Bowls, continue to be perceived as the primary tenant, and the Jets as the little guys.  Players and coaches may not feel any rivalry between the Giants and Jets; but the fans sure do, as the teams' fanbases define themselves against one another.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Probably the most notable guys who played for the Red Sox and Yankees would be Ruth, Clemens, Boggs and Damon other guys include

Jacob Ellusbury

David Wells

David Cone

Jim Leyritz

Kevin Youkolis

Derek Lowe

Mike Torrez

Luis Tiant

Jose Canseco

Mike Stanley

Don Baylor

Rickey Henderson

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, chrispw12 said:

Probably the most notable guys who played for the Red Sox and Yankees would be Ruth, Clemens, Boggs and Damon other guys include

Jacob Ellusbury

David Wells

David Cone

Jim Leyritz

Kevin Youkolis

Derek Lowe

Mike Torrez

Luis Tiant

Jose Canseco

Mike Stanley

Don Baylor

Rickey Henderson

 

Rick Cerone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

 

It is not.

Raptors sure treated it like one, when they booed VC, and their GM 5 years ago shouted "F Brooklyn" in front of a pep rally

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:
5 hours ago, kimball said:

Is that [Raptors-Nets] really a rivalry?

 It is not.

 

2 hours ago, TrueYankee26 said:

Raptors sure treated it like one, when they booed VC, and their GM 5 years ago shouted "F Brooklyn" in front of a pep rally

 

Vince Carter was not with the Nets five years ago. He never played in Brooklyn, having left the Nets three years before the 2012 move.

 

The only connection that the Nets and Raptors have comes from the 2007 playoffs, when the Raptors had all their fans wear red in a "red out" before game 1 of the teams' first-round series. However, they evidently forgot that the Nets had switched their road uniforms to red from the blue that they had worn for their entire existence up until then (alongside a beautiful grey road alt). So the crowd looked like it was supporting the red-clad Nets, who won the game, and ultimately the series.

 

And that is the entire extent of the history between these teams. A rivalry it ain't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/5/2018 at 3:26 PM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

 

Dave Jennings punted for both the Giants and the Jets.

Image result for dave jennings giants   Image result for dave jennings jets

 

Jumbo Elliott on both NY teams...

5-Jumbo-Elliott.jpgScreen-shot-2014-03-10-at-8.09.10-AM.png

 

Jennings was also a World League announcer, having worked for both USA and FX.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Darryl Strawberry, Jose Vizcaino, and Ricky Ledee are the only three players who played for all four MLB teams that were once in NYC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

 

 

Vince Carter was not with the Nets five years ago. He never played in Brooklyn, having left the Nets three years before the 2012 move.

 

The only connection that the Nets and Raptors have comes from the 2007 playoffs, when the Raptors had all their fans wear red in a "red out" before game 1 of the teams' first-round series. However, they evidently forgot that the Nets had switched their road uniforms to red from the blue that they had worn for their entire existence up until then (alongside a beautiful grey road alt). So the crowd looked like it was supporting the red-clad Nets, who won the game, and ultimately the series.

 

And that is the entire extent of the history between these teams. A rivalry it ain't.

It's more than that. 2014 playoffs, and the 2014-2015 season provided sparks for a rivalry.

 

Sadly, those sparks lead to nothing and you are correct. There's nothing there now. More history than you say, but nothing truly came from it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, willmorris said:

Also, Adrian Peterson played for both the Bears...

Q5x8usO.jpg

...and the Vikings.

kpyyHXs.jpg

I’d youre trying to make a joke, it went right over my head. Cause the dude in the Bears uniforms is definitely not AP. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.