Apparently it's too hard to tell a squirrel from a crocodile (or a beaver)

MJWalker45

https://www.mysanantonio.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Buc-ee-s-beaver-trademark-texas-choke-canyon-gator-12934353.php

Bucc-ees sued that the logo for Choke Canyon, a barbeque chain in San Antonio, looks too much like theirs and has confused people that thought they were pulling into Buc-ees. Buc-ees is a giant gas station/strip mall. Choke Canyon is a restaurant. Both animals are wearing hats, but of different styles. Apparently there are ten points of similarity that meant Buc-ees was wronged. It is apparently also illegal to offer friendly service, the same food with a similar name and smiling. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

The lawsuit brought by mega-chain Buc-ee's said that Choke Canyon's alligator logo, pictured against a round yellow backdrop, was too similar to the buck-toothed beaver who represents its 33 gas stops. Buc-ee's also complained that Choke Canyon illegally mimicked its in-store offerings, including friendly service, ample stock and plentiful, clean bathrooms.

Because, you know, we can't have more that one company offering these things at a time.

gYH2mW9.png

Buc-ees sound like a bunch of litigious nutsacks. Never heard of 'em but if I'm I ever in Texas I'll take my business elsewhere just from this article. 

Hopefully they don't sue me. 

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

On 5/26/2018 at 6:35 PM, pianoknight said:

Buc-ees sound like a bunch of litigious nutsacks. Never heard of 'em but if I'm I ever in Texas I'll take my business elsewhere just from this article. 

Hopefully they don't sue me. 

Funny thing is, I've been here on and off over 20 years and never set foot in one. Gas stations near them are cheaper so unless they're backed up 5 deep there's no reason to go to Buc-ees. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Ah yes, the first rule of litigation. Juries are a complete craphsoot.

I mean, I definitely disagree with the outcome, and I want to be surprised that this happened, but......

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

On 5/27/2018 at 6:57 PM, MJWalker45 said:

Funny thing is, I've been here on and off over 20 years and never set foot in one. Gas stations near them are cheaper so unless they're backed up 5 deep there's no reason to go to Buc-ees. 

I’m from Texas too, and you’re completely missing the point of Buc-ees. This is a place to stop and go into the cleanest bathroom in America, (an actual award they won), or to meet up with friends and get a snack. Buc-ees is an experience, they just also happen to offer gas.

I don’t know what Choke Canyon is though.

Excellent!

22 minutes ago, KRZYBDGRZ said:

I’m from Texas too, and you’re completely missing the point of Buc-ees. This is a place to stop and go into the cleanest bathroom in America, (an actual award they won), or to meet up with friends and get a snack. Buc-ees is an experience, they just also happen to offer gas.

I don’t know what Choke Canyon is though.

Thus proving the point that the lawsuit is frivolous when people in Texas don't even know what Choke Canyon is. If one wasn't close to where I play soccer I wouldn't know them either.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

From the article:

Choke Canyon illegally mimicked its in-store offerings, including friendly service, ample stock and plentiful, clean bathrooms.”

now just asking, shouldn’t every store strive for this? How it’s that mimicking? 

On 6/3/2018 at 7:59 AM, KRZYBDGRZ said:

I can confirm this.

Plus you can find Texas-shaped gingersnaps and all sorts of cheap gift shop junk.

It's a supermarket sized 7-Eleven with fancy toilets.

VmWIn6B.png

• 2 weeks later...

"Your first reaction is they're not the same," said Buc-ee's general counsel Jeff Nadalo. "Remove the animal everything else about the logo is identical."

Remove the animal (which is like 90%+ of the logos) and they are identical! Next up on the docket...

2v9admc.jpg246qvcg.jpgb46fxz.jpg2dw7wck.gif   34hexbq.png

• 1 month later...

Archived