Choking / Cursed Franchises

OnWis97

I think I would add the Kansas City Chiefs to this conversation

after their big win at Super Bowl IV and a playoff appearance in 71, they went through a decade of irrelevance, another decade of irrelevance and an era of marty ball where they couldn't beat the Bills despite having a team filled with talent.

a period where they had vermeil and a amazing offense but all the defense of wet paper. They bought into the Matt Cassel hype and paid for it now they are stuck in a position where they play like beasts in the regular season but lose to teams they should beat in the playoffs

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Rj0498 said:

I think I would add the Kansas City Chiefs to this conversation

after their big win at Super Bowl IV and a playoff appearance in 71, they went through a decade of irrelevance, another decade of irrelevance and an era of marty ball where they couldn't beat the Bills despite having a team filled with talent.

a period where they had vermeil and a amazing offense but all the defense of wet paper. They bought into the Matt Cassel hype and paid for it now they are stuck in a position where they play like beasts in the regular season but lose to teams they should beat in the playoffs

Can't say their cursed - just have Andy Reid for a coach.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

12 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Can't say their cursed - just have Andy Reid for a coach.

I don’t know. That Luck TD (you know the one) seems like curse-worthy material to me. Not too much “playoff genius” Andy Reid could do about that. 

spacer.png

On 6/2/2018 at 8:32 AM, BringBackTheVet said:

The first WS that I ever really watched was '86, so I can never consider the Mets "cursed", considering they won because the other team was cursed.

The first game I went to was with the '81 Mets at Shea Stadium they were terrible until '84 then had that run of about 4 years of really good including the '86 series which but for the other team being more cursed they should have lost.  Ever since the Wilpon's took over total ownership the team's been a cluster though they've made the World Series twice since '86.  Everything they seem to do turns to poo.  

7 hours ago, tp49 said:

Ever since the Wilpon's took over total ownership the team's been a cluster though they've made the World Series twice since '86.  Everything they seem to do turns to poo.  

The wrong owner was bought out - should've been Doubleday taking over.

Interesting how many of these titles and choker labels finally get shed as a franchise gets close to the 40 year drought mark. Well in hockey at least. For example:

LA Kings: 45 years

Blackhawks: 49 years

Capitals: 44 years

Bruins: 39 years

Red Wings: 42 years

The Rangers are an outlier at 54 but I think it's a fair point to make that once a franchise gets closer to four decades without a title, the magic seems to change. So with that in mind, Leafs, Blues and Canucks (50,50 and 47 respectively), the car is running.

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

Since 1986 (the year before I was born), the New York Mets haven't won a World Series championship. Worse, they have to pay Bobby Bonilla $1.19 million every year on July 1st until 2035.

YOZXkBG.png?1

5 hours ago, Alex Houston said:

Interesting how many of these titles and choker labels finally get shed as a franchise gets close to the 40 year drought mark. Well in hockey at least. For example:

The Rangers are an outlier at 54 but I think it's a fair point to make that once a franchise gets closer to four decades without a title, the magic seems to change. So with that in mind, Leafs, Blues and Canucks (50,50 and 47 respectively), the car is running.

Flyers are at around 42 or 43 now.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

10 hours ago, Alex Houston said:

Someone tell the NY Jets who are at 49

10 hours ago, Alex Houston said:

So with that in mind, Leafs, Blues and Canucks (50,50 and 47 respectively), the car is running.

The Sabres are in the same boat as the Canucks.

20 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Flyers are at around 42 or 43 now.

I saw that but I wanted to focus on the next big three that I saw. But yes, Agent Orange is due for another one as well. 

15 hours ago, Cosmic said:

The Sabres are in the same boat as the Canucks.

You are correct and I apologize for the oversight. 

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

5 hours ago, Alex Houston said:

You are correct and I apologize for the oversight. 

No worries. In the Sabres' current state, being forgotten is almost a blessing.

How about the early to mid nineties Blues. We have Brett Hull, get Gretzky, and nothing except those hideous jerseys!!! We did get outta The Arena, though. I once went to a Blues' game in like 1987 in The Arena. Had to knock a rat off my seat. God Bless that old Checker Dome, yuck!!

Archived