Choking / Cursed Franchises

OnWis97

On June 7, 2018 at 10:30 PM, habsfan1 said:

NHL_Vegas_Primary-628x451.jpg

I have to disagree, being labeled a choker (for me, at least) represents a trend or history. One occurrence is not a trend.

Also, I don't even know that they choked. They may have lost 4-1 but they were competitive in all of those games, except one.

MAF's play (which was largely carrying this team) went from nearly superhuman to merely good. The team looked like they ran out of steam, on top of encountering true adversity for the first time in the post-season. They ran into a team that was hungry, and knew that they might never get another shot, and an Ovi that wasn't about to let this get away from him.

Comparatively, the Knights basically coasted into the Finals, with only three players of note with any experience of hard-fought deep playoff series. Experience and veteran superstar talent aren't everything (as the Knights proved), but the Caps reminded us that it does matter.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

I have to disagree, being labeled a choker (for me, at least) represents a trend or history. One occurrence is not a trend.

Also, I don't even know that they choked. They may have lost 4-1 but they were competitive in all of those games, except one.

MAF's play (which was largely carrying this team) went from nearly superhuman to merely good. The team looked like they ran out of steam, on top of encountering true adversity for the first time in the post-season. They ran into a team that was hungry, and knew that they might never get another shot, and an Ovi that wasn't about to let this get away from him.

Comparatively, the Knights basically coasted into the Finals, with only three players of note with any experience of hard-fought deep playoff series. Experience and veteran superstar talent aren't everything (as the Knights proved), but the Caps reminded us that it does matter.

I believe sir that you have not gotten the joke. 

spacer.png

5 hours ago, Crabcake47 said:

I believe sir that you have not gotten the joke. 

Possible, tone is hard to convey from a simple picture. I do know at least two people who have seriously said the Knights choked in the final, though. So it's not like it would be the craziest thing if it were serious.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

On 6/10/2018 at 5:14 PM, verno said:

How about the early to mid nineties Blues. We have Brett Hull, get Gretzky, and nothing except those hideous jerseys!!! We did get outta The Arena, though. I once went to a Blues' game in like 1987 in The Arena. Had to knock a rat off my seat. God Bless that old Checker Dome, yuck!!

During that time, the Blues made one of the worst trades ever: http://ottawacitizen.com/sports/hockey/nhl/senators-extra/the-most-lopsided-trade-deadline-deals-ever

March 5, 1991
Trade: Geoff Courtnall, Robert Dirk, Sergio Momesso, Cliff Ronning and future considerations traded from St. Louis to Vancouver for Dan Quinn and Garth Butcher.
Result: As the Canucks ramp up to an (expected) extended playoff run this season, this deal laid the groundwork for their last dominant team, in the early ’90s. Ronning was a huge part of Vancouver’s success the next six seasons, culminating in a Stanley Cup final appearance against the eventual champion New York Rangers in ’94. Momesso provided toughness and goals through five seasons. Ditto for Courtnall.
Quinn played another year-and-a-half in the NHL before taking his game overseas. Butcher’s best hockey was left on the West Coast.

SI used to have a section on their website in the early-00's called Say It Ain't So that dealt with bad trades and other player transactions that fans didn't like. In the Blues section, this trade was mentioned. This one fan said that he was raking leaves on the day of the trade, and he threw his rake in another yard when he heard about the trade over the radio. He then called the sports radio stations in St. Louis, telling them that this was a bad trade.

I've done some March 5th raking. That's "I got lazy/went on vacation in the fall, the snow has melted, the leaves have congealed together over the winter, and I need to break them up before they kill the grass."

From a video I saw on YouTube of all the old Blues stars who went on to win cups with other teams Doug Gilmour, Joey Mullen, Scott Stevens,  Brendan Shanahan, Brett Hull, Rod Brindamour, Chris Pronger, Am McCinnis before he was there and now TJ Oshie plus coaches Scotty Bowman, Am Arbour and Joel Quenneville.

37 minutes ago, chrispw12 said:

From a video I saw on YouTube of all the old Blues stars who went on to win cups with other teams Doug Gilmour, Joey Mullen, Scott Stevens,  Brendan Shanahan, Brett Hull, Rod Brindamour, Chris Pronger, Am McCinnis before he was there and now TJ Oshie plus coaches Scotty Bowman, Am Arbour and Joel Quenneville.

This is the video you're most likely referring to;

You want to hoist the Stanley Cup? Play for and/or coach the Blues, and move on from them. You'll be swimming in Lord Stanley's Cup sooner rather than later.

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

48 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Reeeeeeeeal lawnheads know you mow over your leaves at the end of the fall so the little bits break down and fertilize.

In the Great White North and Buffalo, snow and leaves probably overlap more than they do down in tropical Chicago. I was on vacation last November... lawn clear when I left, leaves were already snowed over by the time I returned. By the time spring comes, they are beaten down into the ground and don't always get chewed up by the lawnmower very well.

Archived