Report: Nike to Take Over MLB Uniforms in 2020

kroywen

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, mjd77 said:

Wonder what this means for the dugout jackets?  Would Nike develop one of their own?...or basically slap a swoosh on the Majestic versions?

Probably develop their own. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

It's not like we don't already know what Nike can do with baseball.  They outfit a ton of college teams.  Can they be traditional?  Have you seen Texas & Stanford?  Can they be crazy?  Have you seen Oregon?

As said above, it's up to the teams to decide where this goes, just like on every sport.  Maybe we stop freaking out about Nike turning everyone into Oregon when the biggest change will almost certainly be the cut of the jersey.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

8 minutes ago, Bouj said:

It's not like we don't already know what Nike can do with baseball.  They outfit a ton of college teams.  Can they be traditional?  Have you seen Texas & Stanford?  Can they be crazy?  Have you seen Oregon?

As said above, it's up to the teams to decide where this goes, just like on every sport.  Maybe we stop freaking out about Nike turning everyone into Oregon when the biggest change will almost certainly be the cut of the jersey.

This.  Perfectly stated.

2 hours ago, mjd77 said:

Wonder what this means for the dugout jackets?  Would Nike develop one of their own?...or basically slap a swoosh on the Majestic versions?

1 hour ago, WSU151 said:

Probably develop their own. 

They'll design their own, but have another company make them.  Nike really isn't about manufacturing anymore.

38 minutes ago, Bouj said:

But will Nike's "crazy" be different from Under Armour's "crazy," or Majestic's "crazy"? If so - and it undoubtedly is - then the manufacturer matters.

No, Nike will not make the Yankees look like Oregon. But Nike will be redesigning at least a few teams' uniforms, and designing a whole ton of alternates. Even if the teams have final approval over said designs, the designer absolutely matters. That's where this change is significant.

26 minutes ago, Duck_Duck said:

So this pretty much confirms MLB in Portland by 2020, right?

If that happens they are going to have very interesting uniforms I imagine. 

14 hours ago, DeFrank said:

Exactly!!

Good lord it is going to be *fine.* The Diamondbacks “futuristic maintenance men working a trash truck in space” uniforms (thanks Rob Lowe) already exists. Blame the teams, not Nike

Yes the teams for the most part are to blame for poor design choices. However looking at what Nike did to the NBA and their "performance shoulder" bs, That forced a league wide design change. So Nike doesn't get off scot-free.

I don't understand how this happened.  Did Nike buy the rights from UA?  Did UA somehow back out of a signed contract?  I can't recall anything like this ever happening in major sports.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

13 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I don't understand how this happened.  Did Nike buy the rights from UA?  Did UA somehow back out of a signed contract?  I can't recall anything like this ever happening in major sports.

Seems like from things ive read is that UA may be in a different financial situation now than when they signed the contract a few years ago.

From http://www.baltimoresun.com/business/under-armour-blog/bs-bz-under-armour-nike-mlb-20180524-story.html

But the company’s fortunes have changed since then. Sales growth has slowed amid store closings by key retailers, intense competition and changing demand for athletic apparel, which has been especially weak in Under Armour’s biggest market in the United States.

Sports Business Daily attributed the switch to Under Armour’s recent financial difficulties, saying the comany backed out of the deal to reduce overhead and save about $50 million.

15 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

You guys sound like Nike signs the contract and just has free reign to do whatever they want.  They're not going to "respect tradition", they're going to do whatever they're told  If the Yankees tell them to piss off, then they'll piss off.  If the Padres hand them the keys and tell them to drive the car to wherever, then that's on them.

Seems a bit disingenuous to think Nike won't be actively pressuring teams to make modifications, redesigns and alternates with their greasy sales and soulless marketing teams.  Teams like the Packers or Yankees might tell them to go piss off, but the vulnerable teams like the Browns and Bucs will be swayed, and later regret it.  Plus, there will be template modifications like Flywire and Adidas collar they will push on all teams.

3 hours ago, Duck_Duck said:

So this pretty much confirms MLB in Portland by 2020, right?

No more than it confirmed the NFL in Portland (which has never even been discussed). 

If and when there are expansion or relocation discussions, I expect that Nike might push for a team in Portland, but this by no means secures that. I don't foresee MLB expanding until the stadium situations in Oakland and Tampa Bay are fully settled, and the Rays relocating is still very much an open question. (Though I personally think a relocation to Portland is in their best interest, I have no clue how their ownership feels about that.) 

Will Nike try to put their finger on the scale and quietly push for a Rays relocation to Portland? It wouldn't surprise me, but they are far from the biggest player in the room on that question. Ultimately, Rays' ownership, the Commissioner's Office, and the Cities of Portland and Tampa will have much greater sway than Nike. If the City of Portland doesn't provide an attractive ballpark financing arrangement (which is always a huge question mark in super-liberal West Coast cities), all the pressure in the world from Nike won't help in terms of getting a team in Portland.

The MLB probably wont be expanding any time soon. In terms of league stability, they are probably first (little chance of teams moving) with the NBA right behind them. No need to add more teams and mess things up or water down talent pool. There are plenty of cities capable of having an MLB team over Portland. The MLB really pushes Mexico. Montreal also gets a good amount of talk.

Sure, Nike would push for it but I don’t think it will happen. Who knows though! 

Archived